PDA

View Full Version : Aria 1.504 for windows posted at MakeMusic

jdsnyderii
09-03-2012, 12:52 AM
I got the update and it fixes all of my issues. I am 100% satisfied with the update. :) Thanks for the fixes everyone at Plogue, Garritan, MakeMusic, etc.

rbowser-
09-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I got the update and it fixes all of my issues. I am 100% satisfied with the update. :) Thanks for the fixes everyone at Plogue, Garritan, MakeMusic, etc.
Great - Thanks for posting this, Jim.

The release of this new ARIA several days ago wasn't trumpeted here at the Forum the way I thought it would be. Your thread here is a good corrective. I hope users who've been frustrated with the glitches in the last ARIA will be encouraged so they can go fetch their free upgrade also.

Randy

rbowser-
09-03-2012, 11:47 AM
And to make it clear to everyone, you go to the download page at Finale/MakeMusic to update your ARIA. If you haven't already set up your account there, do that so you can stay in the Garritan loop:

DOWNLOADS AT MAKE MUSIC (http://www.finalemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx)

Randy

RichR
09-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, this is great! :) I too am a happy camper. My latest project is working fine with the latest ARIA 1.504 and my EWI likes it too! :hp::):heart:

Thanks for all the hard work you guys did to make this happen. I gave up programing after I found out how hard it was to say "Hello World" in Binary and even in Basic! ~|

Raymond62
09-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Installed it without any problems. Tried the freestanding, found out about that convolution thing. Ten minutes of pure joy. Next time I'll have a GPO project this is my player!!!!!!

Raymond

Silh
09-05-2012, 08:13 AM
So, finally got around to downloading this, and lo and behold...

The CDN MakeMusic is using is still misbehaving, and doing the same thing for me as it was when I tried to download 1.500 a few months ago (old post here for reference (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/84462-ARIA-1-5-for-windows-is-posted-but?p=691769&viewfull=1#post691769)).

I really hope MakeMusic bugs their CDN provider about this to get it fixed soon... small updates like this I can route around or snag on my phone's data connection, but I would not want to have to deal with anything like that if I had to download gigabytes for any of the sample libraries if I ever had to redownload any of them or if there was a new release or such.

rbowser-
09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
It's certainly a relief to see some happy campers on this thread - Jim "jdsnderii," Rich and Raymond. It's been a bit agonizing for me, waiting for the public release of 1.504, knowing from my Beta experience that you guys were going to have your Finale and EWI issues cleared up.

And then there's the download problem you're still having, Matt "Silh." I understand what you're saying, that with some hassle you're able to get a small file like this ARIA update, but that with the problems you're having, a big download, like for an entire library, would probably be impossible. What's going on there, I wonder?

When I test the MakeMusic download, which I've done several times now, it always works in a flash, and it looks to be working for Jim, Rich, and Raymond on this thread. But obviously a "CDN" (Content Delivery System) needs to work for everyone as consistently as possible.

I wonder what's unique about your computer set up, Matt? I mean, that has to be the factor which is different in your case.

Randy

RichR
09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Randy said:

When I test the MakeMusic download, which I've done several times now, it always works in a flash, and it looks to be working for Jim, Rich, and Raymond on this thread. But obviously a "CDN" (Content Delivery System) needs to work for everyone as consistently as possible.

It worked smoothly for me on my i7, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit running the latest Firefox. I hope you contacted MakeMusic support to see if they had an answer. They are usually very prompt in response time.

Tom_Davis
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
When I go to the upgrade page I can only find 2012b. Is that what you are talking about?

rbowser-
09-05-2012, 01:46 PM
When I go to the upgrade page I can only find 2012b. Is that what you are talking about?
----well, no - We're talking about ARIA 1.504, also on the Download page at MakeMusic.

Randy

Silh
09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
It's not so much a matter of computer configuration, as location. Content Delivery Networks (CDN's) are a series of download servers set up all over the world, so that when people all over the world try to download something, they get directed to the 'closest' server to them so that they (hopefully) get fast download speeds, as compared to only having one server, and varying download performance depending on where people are in the world.

Obviously, one would have to be a company with sufficient resources to set up a system like that, and a good number of bigger companies have set up fairly large networks, which they then rent out to other companies to use. Akamai was one of the early ones, Amazon's is commonly used today, and it seems like MakeMusic uses the Windows Azure network from Microsoft.

For light duty and everyday browsing, all the data comes from MakeMusic's website server, but then when you go download a file from them (which could potentially be big and time consuming), that comes from the CDN, which looks at the IP address you're coming from, and sends you the file from the server's that supposed to have the best routing/connection to you. So depending on what your IP address is and which server it sends you to, different results may ensue...

I hail from somewhat northern Alberta, Canadialand... I haven't done any investigation as to where the connection goes to whatever server they send me to. Last time, I routed things through a proxy, which worked fine (albeit slowly); this time, I downloaded it on my phone instead... different routing and IP addresses from my usual, so I'm probably being sent to a different server in the CDN for the download than normally.

Anyhow, sent an a ticket to MM tech support, hope they can get it figured out.

rbowser-
09-05-2012, 03:27 PM
It's not so much a matter of computer configuration, as location...
Ah, I see - Thanks for the explanation, Matt. OK, then what you gotta do is move to a big city! New York, Chicago, Nashville, L.A. here you come! *()

Randy

Raymond62
09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
The new ARIA with Steinway Pro (you know that Garritan Authorized Steinway with those 5 different piano's). It may be fully crap what I am saying, but I have the impression that the dynamic levels are rather low and that ARIA doesn't respond enough to velocity and volume setting. I played some pieces "life" with the freestanding version.

Raymond

Tom_Davis
09-06-2012, 05:55 PM
There is some part of this issue not being mentioned. I went to the Finale/Make Music, logged in to my account and went to updates, products and downloads. Nothing about Aria 1.504. I sent an e-mail to them was they responded that there is no ARIA upgrade available.

So, are you downloading Finale itself?

lunker
09-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Not sure why they would say there was no Aria update -- possibly they misunderstood the question? Or you spoke to someone not in the loop about the recent update?

I see it when I search the downloads using the following parameters:

Product = Garritan
Version = Any Version
Platform = Any Platform
Category = Update
Name = <leave blank>

Aria 1.5 on 8/28/2012 is the 1.504 update.

Here's the URL I start with for the search: http://www.finalemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx?p=1

kitekrazy
09-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I hate it when I find out about an update on a forum instead of the developers. Other than that, this likes like a cool update.

rbowser-
09-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Tom - Did you find the update download yet? Once you've signed in at Make Music, it's available on their download page below the Finale updates.

Kitekrazy - You're right that it would be helpful if MM would send emails out about updates. But - looks like you need to check in here more often so we can help keep you informed!

Randy

Justin Phillips
09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi all,

We're still in the middle of transitioning Garritan into the company. We completed phase one earlier this summer, which was to move the user accounts, registration/authorizations, and store into the same system we use for Finale and SmartMusic. Those items are living at a temporary home on finalemusic.com until we have finished migrating the garritan.com content to a MakeMusic hosted site, where in the near future all Garritan product registration, purchasing, and downloading of updates will occur. I know it's not ideal right now with all of it living on finalemusic.com (locating ARIA updates, etc), but it's where we're at until we can move everything back to a dedicated site.

Thanks for everyone's input on this, it's difficult transitioning companies gracefully after acquisitions and there are a lot of moving pieces. My #1 concern is always customer experience, and we're working to finish everything up as soon as possible.

ejog 1985
09-15-2012, 05:55 AM
I am wondering if this update will also help me with Aria in Acid Pro 7?
I compose in 'Personal Composer for Windows v3' and export MIDI files which I can load onto acid Pro.
I can hear the sound OK using the Sony soft synth, but not when I allocate tracks to Aria with a Garritan instrument.
All I want is to get a better sound with the strings than I have in General MIDI.

John