PDA

View Full Version : Can the velocity curve setting be automated?

ome248
09-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Can the velocity curve setting be automated on the Steinway basic.
Currently I'm using separate tracks for different velocity curves.

Jeff Hurchalla
09-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Ome,
Unfortunately I don't believe there's any way to automate the velocity curve.

rbowser-
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi, ome248

That's an interesting request - one I wouldn't have anticipated.

Are you working in a sequencer like Cubase or Sonar? If so, it isn't difficult to control velocities via filters in the apps. I use Sonar, and get a lot of use out of the Velocity MIDI effects filter. With it, I can limit the low and high range of velocities on a selection - which has the same effect as using a different velocity curve.

Other velocity filtering is possible also - making all velocities for a selection be the same value, to slowly increase by a given amount, to reduce by a percentage up or down the overall values - things like that.

In the Piano Roll View, I also do a lot of re-drawing of velocity values - Sweeping through to flatten things out more if I want - Sometimes that's more intuitive than using the Velocity filter.

Most keyboards also have different velocity curves available. I leave the Steinway's curve at the default straight-line setting, and if I need special velocity responses, change the curve on my keyboard and/or use the Velocity filter described above.

Randy

ome248
09-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into the methods you mentioned. I'm not educated on this stuff, I do it as a hobby. But I am trying to learn as much
as I can online. I had a feeling this would end up being a question that reveals a lack of knowledge. Thanks for being kind. I'm working in samplitude 10 pro and soon free 11 upgrade :)

I'm not sure if your talking about adjusting the velocity of midi notes. I am
aware that controls how hard the keys are pressed on piano. But I was under impression velocity curve activates different scales that cant be accessed through velocity on midi notes. For instance when the soft press velocity curve is selected and I adjust a notes velocity to top value its not the same as when hard press velocity curve is selected and I select top value of velocity on a midi note. Perhaps this isn't the same thing as you are referring too. Or perhaps I'm wrong all together. I'll look into it, thanks again.

DPDAN
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I mentioned this early on in the beta testing that the velocity curve should be affected by dynamic markings in notation programs. If the score shows a crescendo, the velocity curve would increase to accommodate the dynamic markings. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME for notation users!

Some notation programs already determine "velocity" based on modwheel data.

I really think this would be a very useful thing to add in the next update.

Dan