PDA

View Full Version : How $99 Steinway offer compares with others

peteruno
12-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm very tempted by the Garritan $99 Steinway offer as I've been making an album of solo piano improvisations. It started on my Steinway, which first had a noisy pedal that I fixed, then got better mics, then did 24 bit 96k recording and found this weird buzz in the midrange and I gave up and continued on my friends Yamaha Clavinova which had the obvious advantage of being able to edit the performances via midi. But then when I went to record off of the optical output (limited to 44.1) the fast passages sounded "unpianistic" (is that a word?) I tried triggering from piano sounds from the bundled sample libraries that I own (Mach 5's Bosendorfer, Kontakt's Steinway) and found the best sound to be triggering my motif xs grand piano. My question is, will I find the Garritan Steinway to be even better, and are there other libraries that are even better? When I say better, I'm not talking about punching through in a pop mix, I'm talking about classical and jazz solo piano sound. Thanks for your opinions.

Curt
12-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Ooo! You cross-posted!

Since this is a forum for Garritan customers you might find better feedback from the Piano World forum where you'll meet players of every library out there - including the Garritan Steinway!

Here's the link
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Curt

peteruno
12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Is cross posting a no no? How about cross dressing? Hey, sorry, just wanted to poll Garritan Steinway owners about the sound of the product b4 plunking down my $99. I do own the Garritan Jazz collection and haven't had the most success scoring with it.

etLux
12-19-2008, 12:16 AM
How about cross dressing?

It's not really my thing; but, if you insist...

http://www.davidsosnowski.com/images/etlux-marcellina-mustache.jpg

bigears
12-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Hi, I have the Garritan Steinway pro version and couldn't be happier with it.
I'm not sure what perspective is used in the Basic version, there are five listening perspectives in the one I have. If you want to send me a MIDI file or two, I would be happy to render them with the Steinway and send you a mp3 of the results. Regards, John

peteruno
12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Very generous offer: I'd love it if you could render a file with whatever setup is in the $99 special (and of course if their is a significant improvement in the full version I might just wait and get that) Where do I send a midi file to?
My email address is peter@soundforms.net

thanks again

Curt
12-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I would happily sell you my Steinway Pro library!!! I don't use it anymore so it's just a binder on my shelf right now.

peteruno
12-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks Kurt: I'm going to wait til I hear big ears rendering and then I'd be happy to buy a recycled Steinway as long as its a legit transfer.

Curt
12-20-2008, 10:02 PM
As legit as it gets! Just let me know.

ReBased
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi, I have the Garritan Steinway pro version and couldn't be happier with it.
I'm not sure what perspective is used in the Basic version, there are five listening perspectives in the one I have. If you want to send me a MIDI file or two, I would be happy to render them with the Steinway and send you a mp3 of the results. Regards, John

Hi bigears, would you be willing to render this midi file (http://www.purgatorycreek.com/downloads/pianotest1.mid) (120bpm)?

It's the track used for a great piano shootout page (http://purgatorycreek.com/), and would be perfect for comparison purposes (right now I'm torn between the Art Vista VGP & the Garritan, which is growing on me all the time).

We could also submit the results to the site for everyone's benefit.

ab53
02-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I had a Yamaha CP-300 and I compared it with the Steinway Pro. The Steinway Pro was better. A more realistic piano sound. In fact in most cases, it is better than my 7 foot plus grand piano recorded with DPA 4011 mics. I would have kept the Cp-300 for gigging, but it was just to heavy for me. (It is still a great recording piano as well - it is just that I like Steinways better than Yamahas - even on "real" grand pianos.)

So I highly recommend the Steinway Pro. I have not tried the basic, so I cannot say.

I doubt there is any stock sound in ANY keyboard that is better than the Steinway Pro.

But different people have different tastes - so who knows.

ReBased
02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
BTW, from listening to the demos I think the Basic version also has fewer samples generally (I think I read it only requires 1.6GB of space?), so it won't be comparable to any single perspective from the standard/pro.

ReBased
02-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I doubt there is any stock sound in ANY keyboard that is better than the Steinway Pro.

Actually listen to the new Roland V-Piano (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=978&pid=hpfp) (check the video at the site). It's modelled but actually sounds good (unlike Pianoteq). Expensive though (~$6000).

ReBased
02-21-2009, 04:34 PM
BTW, from listening to the demos I think the Basic version also has fewer samples generally (I think I read it only requires 1.6GB of space?), so it won't be comparable to any single perspective from the standard/pro.

Actually the basic is 1.5GB, the Standard 16GB (so around 8GB per perspective). Quite a difference.

bigears
02-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi, I see there is some debate about the differences in the pro version compared to the basic edition. I think there are major differences between basic, standard, and pro versions, as you can see from the big differences in space requirements.
I have rendered your file with the "under lid" perspective using the pro version 16 bit samples.There are two files, one with and one without reverb applied from the onboard ambience. I used a bit of the "parlor" pre-set on the 2nd mp3. Please check with Gary before submitting these to the shoot out.Thanks, John

http://www.box.net/shared/e0nsq8js7l

This is from the garritan website:
System Requirements

* 2.8 Ghz CPU Pentium 4 or better for PC, 2.0 Ghz
Core 2 Duo MacIntel or better for Mac.
* 2 GB RAM Recommended
* 45GB of free hard drive space—Professional Edition 16 bit; 67GB Professional Edition 24 bit; or 16 GB of free hard drive space—Standard Edition. 1.5GB Basic version.
* Hard drive speed of at least 7200 RPM
* DVD ROM drive required for installation
* Monitor with 1,024x768 resolution or better
* A sound card compatible with ASIO
* MIDI: A MIDI interface may be required if you are using a MIDI keyboard (88-key full-sized MIDI keyboard recommended). Some keyboards use USB.
* High quality speakers and amplifier, or high quality headphones
* Internet connection for online registration

Pricing

* Professional Version: $399
* Standard Version : $199
* Basic Version : $99

ReBased
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
I have rendered your file with the "under lid" perspective using the pro version 16 bit samples.There are two files, one with and one without reverb applied from the onboard ambience. I used a bit of the "parlor" pre-set on the 2nd mp3.

Thanks John. I've spent the last 24hours intensely comparing sample libraries, and eventually decided against the Garritan. It's a bit too thin sounding (too perfectly tuned) for what I need.

I also found I only really liked the player bench perspective, which is only available in the Pro version and that's another issue (but apparently there are plans to make perspectives downloadable at some point).

But I've got to credit Garritan for their license & copy protection policy. 4 installs, and resale allowed (for an undetermined fee)! I wish other vendors would follow their example.

And I look forward to checking out the B when it ships ...

AlanPerkins
02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
(too perfectly tuned)

:confused:

I would have thought striving for perfection was a good thing!

ab53
02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe for $49 they can offer an out of tune version? :)

Reegs
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
You can adjust the tuning of the instrument using scala files. Many are already supplied with the instrument.

ReBased
02-23-2009, 06:19 AM
You can adjust the tuning of the instrument using scala files. Many are already supplied with the instrument.

I'm talking about the tuning of the unisons. They are too similar to me on the Garritan. Stretching the unisons produces a more chorusy effect = warmer resonance.

I'm not slamming it, it's just not the sound I need.

Haydn
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
The standard tuning is stretched tuning. There are many tunings available in the player besides the standard. Also, as mentioned above, you can create your own scala tunings.

Jim

ReBased
02-23-2009, 03:06 PM
The standard tuning is stretched tuning. There are many tunings available in the player besides the standard. Also, as mentioned above, you can create your own scala tunings.

Unisons. Not changeable as they're sampled.