PDA

View Full Version : Starflight Ending Credits!

ChrisHurn
10-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey everyone,

Here's some credits music from a game I have been writing for. It is called Starflight: The Lost Colony, and is based on the original Starflight video games from the 80's. The melody that enters at 1:16ish is from the original starlight theme that someone else wrote, but otherwise everything else is original.

Starflight - Ending Credits (http://www.chrishurn.com/Starflight_End_Credits.mp3)

Chris

Brindle
10-04-2008, 03:22 PM
This is an incredibly well-crafted piece, it gives the sense of flying in a spacecraft right away, adventurous and entertaining. I liked it! What can I say.. it's marvellous, perfect for ending credits! Wish I had a game/short film/anything to work on as a composer. Did you compose the soundtrack for the rest of the game as well (I presume you did)?
)(~

Sonare Coeli
10-05-2008, 04:08 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed listening. A very fitting end to an epic adventure game. It reminds me a bit of the type of the score at the end of Star Fox 64 for the good old Nintendo 64, if you've ever had the opportunity to play, hahaha. As an eight year old playing one felt so accomplished when they finally finished. The music gave you a sense of completion, but yet a sense that there would be more adventure in the future. Thanks for bringing me back, hahaha.

Once again, great score, I really enjoyed it.

Tyler

Rhap2
10-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Chris:

Awesome orchestration and creative writing.

Loved the percussion, especially the cymbal work. It all
supported your great melodic lines so well. The rendering
on this is absolutely terrific.

Just loved the whole "flight."

BRAVO, Chris )(~ )(~ )(~ )(~

Jack

rolifer
10-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Chris

This was a very well constructed piece. Great Orchestration and great rendering.

I think it fits very well into your proposed game.

Well done

Ron

germancomponist
10-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Chris,

a nice and great composition and orchestration you did! )(~

Gunther

GaryBric
10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Chris,

Splendid writing, sounds more like the soundtrack to a movie than a game. But then again, that is what you were after, the feeling of expanse and grandure. Great production and use of the sound libraries.

Gary

www.garybricault.com (http://www.garybricault.com)

Fredrik
10-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Very professional, Chris! Fantastic rendering! Wow!

The sound effects are at the right place also! %-

This was a forceful journey!

Fred

DelCarry
10-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Quite exciting stuff - Well done Chris! I could only listen with my headphones and the balance seemed off but please don't worry as all my music seems off balance as well. Could be my ears! lol All that aside, the recording was quite good and very dynamic. Attention to detail pays off!

Del

Raymond62
10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Since I never was very fond of computer games, I missed most of this kind of music. You gave me a seond change and I loved it. Beginning to play computer games at the age of almost 65 is a bit overdone, but now I heard what I've missed in my life (kidding).

It is awesome.

Greetings,
Raymond

mrkeyboard
10-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Great orchestration, excellent mix, and a very convincing performance, your sequence was made with a conductor criterion, all instruments sounded very real and vivid. And of course, the theme is very pleasant to hear. Fabulous!.

Victor

June-Bug-Dan
10-07-2008, 11:31 AM
If theres anyone that can inspire me to compose its you:)ANOTHER great piece!
I loved the structure and the feel of spacecraft and flight.
Keep composing Chris!!!

Regards,

Dan.;)

Scott McCallister
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Chris,

This is excellent. I have always enjoyed your compositions posted on the forum and this is not different. (except that they just keep getting better)

The only thing wrong is that you are too darned young to be writing with this maturity! :n:

Congratulations on a great job!
)(~

ChrisHurn
10-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Thank you all for the comments! It means a lot.

Cheers!

Chris

etLux
10-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Very well done, Chris!

Beautifully crafted, beautifully rendered... this
competes readily with some of the best film
scoring I've heard... impressive!

My gosh, I'm going to have to start playing these
games -- it seems that's where most of the best
music is, lately.

Bravo!

All the best,

David
-----
David Sosnowski
www.DavidSosnowski.com

Kinvint
10-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Love it!

Wonderful melodies, beautiful orchestrations and very professionally written, musically. I enjoyed all of it and am on my second listen!

I agree with Del about the mix. This piece deserves some attention to this area. Do you have AltiVerb? It would work wonders giving this wonderful piece that final touch to make it sound more 'real'. Some of the samples sounded too dry to me and I think a more delicate use of the velocity and modulation layers, along with some nice early verb reflections across the whole orchestra would really make this stand out even more.

You may like it as it is. I hear things in it that I would love to hear improved because I truly enjoy the piece. Your legato string work is sometimes really good, and at other times sounds like not much time was spent on it. I really hope you have time to work on it a little more. I'll definitely be back again if you post a new version!

Great work! Thanks so much for sharing this. I hope my comments were helpful.

Kind regards,

Paul

ChrisHurn
10-24-2008, 03:20 AM
Hey Paul, thanks. :) Unfortunately I don't have altiverb, I can't afford to buy it right now. My next purchase will probably be some decent studio monitors so that I can improve my mixing. I can definitely make some of the instruments more wet, and after having another listen I can see where you are coming from, I'll see what I can do.

Chris

Tom_Davis
10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
This well crafted piece is far more subtle and intriguing than music most often associated with gaming. Really quite outstanding.