PDA

View Full Version : Velocities

Raymond62
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
8 notes at velocity 100 followed by another 8 notes at velocity 70.
Track in Sonar. Track trimmed velocity at minus 15.
Notes are: G#2 and A3 (where A3 is 442 Hz, tuning reference / A above middle C).

Listen (http://www.box.net/shared/vsgujp758s) yourself. It is in Wave format

Raymond

Jeff Hurchalla
08-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Raymond,
Could you be more specific about what you are illustrating? I think you are demonstrating some timbre inconsistency but I can't be sure. I've definitely been working to gain note consistency across the board, some of which will show up fairly soon in the first update and some in the second update.

Raymond62
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Raymond,
Could you be more specific about what you are illustrating? I think you are demonstrating some timbre inconsistency but I can't be sure. I've definitely been working to gain note consistency across the board, some of which will show up fairly soon in the first update and some in the second update.

When rendering a piece I noticed this timbre inconsistency, so I kept it simple and drew some midi notes in Sonar. I already found out that the A was a bit "out of line" . The first 8 notes all have the same velocity value of 100 (I set sonar to subtract 15 from them...reason it was at the end of a piece I was rendering and that track had value -15, that's why). So in fact it had the value 85.

The next 8 notes all have the same, but lower velocities, set to 70 but after subtraction in sonar,they ended up at 55. Now the inconsistency wasn't there anymore. I also had Classical perspective with velocity curve the first click brighter.

If you wish I can make a MIDI file for you better demonstrating this issue and put it on BoxNet for downloading. Just tell me.

Hope to be clearer this time, if not, give me notice,
Raymond