PDA

View Full Version : garritan steinway vs ewql?

JohnGrant
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I own the Garritan, which sounds great to me. But I heard a demo of the ewql Steinway the other day. Also sounds great.

Does anyone own both? How do they compare for, say, classical rep?

JG

Lougheed
08-18-2008, 07:17 PM
John -

I have the Garritan Official Steinway (Professional version) and while it sounds good, it is certainly lacking in the playability department, at least for my style - New Age.

The challenge for me is to get things sounding soft enough, and balanced - accomp. vs. melody.

My problem is two fold: (a) the Steinway has very few useable settings for velocity curve, with too great a difference between them, and (b) my controller (Roland HP-207) also has very few settings for velocity curve. So, between the two, I can't actually edit a proper velocity curve.

I too am considering EWQLP, and while the demos sound very good (even after repeated auditioning), I wonder about how powerful the settings are for shaping the velocity curve.

Lawrence

PS - John - How many years have we been at this?

JohnGrant
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
How many?

You know the answer..... too....m.....

Cheers,

JG

michael88s
11-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Lougheed,

I came across some velocity curve modifying software that I really like, and here's the link: http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php

It's quite flexible, and really changes keyboard response, probably the best piece of freeware I've ever used!

Michael

David Ferris
11-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Galaxy has five built in velocity curves, which can be reshaped by turning a knob. There are also three "split" curves, providing 4, 5, and 6 zones. I haven't tried them.

I think that users can also construct their own velocity curves in the Velocity Editor.

Per Lichtman
12-11-2008, 06:24 PM
The Galaxy II does indeed allow a great deal of velocity curve shaping (including offset) in the box, and it is very tweak able overall.

However, after having spent a lot of time with the Galaxy II Bösdendorfer DE, I was surprised by how "chunky" it sounded in arpeggiated lines compared to some of the competitors. It strikes me as a library better suited to chords and more dry/rhythmic pieces rather than flowing ones and has prompted me to look even more closely at the Bluthner DMO than I had before.