PDA

View Full Version : transfer Steinway to new computer question

ab53
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I have the Steinway on my computer. BUT this weekend I am getting a new processor, motherboard and operating system hard drive.
How do I go about transferring Steinway to the new computer?

THANKS.

Garritan
08-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I have the Steinway on my computer. BUT this weekend I am getting a new processor, motherboard and operating system hard drive.
How do I go about transferring Steinway to the new computer?

THANKS.ab53,

You get four installs so just install on the new computer and register online. That's all there is to it.

Best,

Gary

ab53
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
You are one awesome guy. Talk about a lightning fast response. Must be that clean living on Orcas Island.

I LOVE THE STEINWAY!!!!!

Thanks,
Alan

Ranger
08-15-2008, 02:13 AM
not that I have a problem but after 4 installs I'll own an expensive coaster maybe I would prefer a dongle, any further purchases will not include this kind of protection, for the same reason I'm eliminating NI's products from my system (a least with them you can change a piece of hardware and start over again) Also GARY please include this Information on your Steinway page for future clients

(Graceful Copy Protection (no dongles or challenge response) and ONLY 4 INSTALLS ALLOWED)

halvor
08-15-2008, 04:30 AM
not that I have a problem but after 4 installs I'll own an expensive coaster maybe I would prefer a dongle, any further purchases will not include this kind of protection, for the same reason I'm eliminating NI's products from my system (a least with them you can change a piece of hardware and start over again) Also GARY please include this Information on your Steinway page for future clients

(Graceful Copy Protection (no dongles or challenge response) and ONLY 4 INSTALLS ALLOWED)

I'm very pleased with the sound of the Steinway which I just bought and installed, but I have to say I have always disliked the copy-protection schemes used by the software industry, especially the ones that makes restrictions on the number of installations and hardware configuration. This is really limiting my right to use the computer the way I want. I want to be able to experiment with different hardware-configurations,try a different OS on my computer (with the obvious risk of deleting my windows partition) without being afraid of somehow be forced to do a complete reinstall of my programs and that way using up my precious "activations" when I actually have paid hundreds of Euros for the software. I have problems understanding how such limitations in the first place could be legally forced upon the consumers...

Of the DRM-solutions out there, the one I dislike least is the dongle.

Haydn
08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
The only library I've had problems with copy protection is the VSL stuff using a dongle. Their forum daily has other users who's licenses have just disappeared from the dongle. So I refuse to purchase any more libraries with a dongle. I've never had problems with NI licenses in the many years I've used them or other libraries using challenge-response.

I think 4 installs in plenty as most other libraries only allow 2 installs. GigaStudio only allowed 1 install and then you had to buy another license for another computer. So I think the ARIA licensing is the best out there now with the least amount of hassle.

Jim

Ranger
08-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Haydn I presently have 3 dongles for the past 8 years never a problem my point is I spend $400.00 and after 4 installs I have to spend again not right Pirates have no problems only the consumers have to go throught this with so much put into the product and protecting The companies investments don't you think that the consumer, which by the way, is where the money comes from, has the right to use a product without a Black Cloud looming (I have had problems with NI enough that I will not purchase anything else from them. In conclusion if you believe its fair why dont you post this info on the main promo page instead of in a book after purchase. You find that I'm not the only one. By the way I love the product and but not the restrictions

How about this for an option at a fraction of the cost offer additional license to registered owners only (to me this is fair)

Haydn
08-15-2008, 09:38 PM
You've been lucky with your dongles. I've had mine go out 3 times in the last 4 months. After reseating and rebooting the computer, it started working again. I've tried it in a couple USB ports. This seems to be a pretty common problem others are having.

Why do you need that many installs? I'm not sure how picky the ARIA player is when you change hardware as I haven't updated my systems since installing it. If you have odd situations requiring large amounts of installs, then you should contact Gary Garritan.

Jim

Ranger
08-16-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm on the moon with this nonsense explain to me your issue with ILOk works doesn't work,
again $400.. dollars its not a hot dog

halvor
08-16-2008, 04:48 AM
Why do you need that many installs? I'm not sure how picky the ARIA player is when you change hardware as I haven't updated my systems since installing it. If you have odd situations requiring large amounts of installs, then you should contact Gary Garritan.

Jim

Here is my resent example;

Under a year ago I installed GPO and registered it. That was my first registration. A few months ago my windowsXP refused to boot so I had to reinstall everything and consequently installed GPO for the second time. That was my second registration. After a while I felt it was time to buy a new computer which I did. So I installed GPO a third time. Now, an installation of another operating system on the same computer rendered my new Windows-Vista installation unbootable, which easily could have resulted in a complete reinstall of Windows. Luckily I had a backup of the old Windows bootloader, so I didn't have to, but a reinstall would nevertheless have resulted in yet another registration.

Vista turned out to quite unstable and immature. Gigastudio doesn't work properly and Ewql So Gold demanded a new activation just a few minutes after registering (that would be my fourth reg.). All in all I'm now actually considering to wipe out Vista and install Windows XP once again because of all the problems. But that would require a fourth registration of GPO (so I have to see if I'm going to do it). In the foreseeable future I will probably convert my operating system to 64-bit, when Vista have matured a somewhat and 64-bit is more mainstream. Again, that would require a fifth registration.

At the time of writing a have not yet registered my Steinway and I'm glad I haven't, because it makes it possible to test the installation for 30 days and sort out possible problems that may occur without having to go through a second registration instantly.

Ranger
08-16-2008, 04:16 PM
made an edit on my last post sorry for the burst its a bad topic for me I've been with computers since the Timex sinclair days so all these protection schemes I find at best effect only the clients and for this reason gets under my skin. HALVOR I understand where your going with this and for this Gary should have some kind of solution for these kinds of situations

Haydn
08-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Windows XP shouldn't just die unless you have hardware issues, spyware or virus issues. I don't use my music machine as an internet machines which gets rid of the spyware and virus issues. Most of the Windows XP repair options should fix the issues without having to do a complete reinstall unless you have a hard drive that's crapped out.

I have multiple partitions on my system so I can dual boot and test new operating systems. This can be a little tricky to do without doing some studying on how the different OS's work with each other. I actually use Windows XP both 32 bit and 64 bit versions on my music machine setup as a dual boot config. My day to day machine is actually a triple boot with 2 versions of Windows XP and another using Vista. I have the Garritan KP2 libraries and ARIA player installed on both partitions on my music machine. It appears that the NI Service Center is not as troublesome when you need to do a reinstall.

I would contact Gary Garritan regarding your concerns. At this point you still have 4 installs on the Steinway so go ahead and authorize it.

Jim

halvor
08-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Windows XP shouldn't just die unless you have hardware issues, spyware or virus issues. I don't use my music machine as an internet machines which gets rid of the spyware and virus issues. Most of the Windows XP repair options should fix the issues without having to do a complete reinstall unless you have a hard drive that's crapped out.

Jim

Actually it was my harddrive that broke down and not WinXP, but generally speaking I'm not the kind of guy who is klicking on every spam-attachment or is downloading pirated software and troyans and for the net i mostly use Linux. I have been using computers for 15-20 years now and I think the reasons why an OS would "die" are almost limitless and certainly not just related to spyware/virus issues.

At this moment I do not have any particular trouble using my music-software because of DRM. I would only explain what I believe can be a quite common scenario regarding the limited number of registrations.

But I like to say this; The use of DRM, and particularly the use of NI-related products have had a direct impact on the way I use my computer in general. I'm now very careful about experimenting with my system because I'm afraid of somehow breaking something when I have so much expensive software with restrictions installed on my system. So I think I now have less fun using my computer in general than before.
Luckily I still have Linux to play with, though.

Well, this is enough from me.:)

michael88s
09-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Ranger and halvor,

What about having an external backup hard drive and creating a disk image right after the registration- wouldn't that safeguard your registration if everything went south?

ab53
09-07-2008, 09:57 AM
What program would be good for copying an entire C drive including a registrations, XP, etc? Is there any program that does this? That makes it so the other C drive is absolutely identical in every way?

michael88s
09-07-2008, 11:36 AM
ab53,

There are several programs that copy the exact contents of your boot drive including the OS, for instance XP- some are standalone, and some are utilities that come with an external hard drive. It's not enough that you just copy files from a hard drive, what you want is 'disk image' software. My external drive is a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus, and it comes with that type of software.

Computer crashes, viruses, replacing hard drives etc, all these situations are made infinitely easier with disk imaging software HOWEVER you generally can't use the disk image on a different computer, or if you switch out the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Ranger
09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
this maybe my solution but I use a Mac I just added a pc with xp just don,t want to waste an install any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Ranger

decapitor
02-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty livid about learning of this 4 install limit after purchasing the Garritan Steinway. I would never have bought it had I known, as I periodically reinstall my OS. And for people on this thread who keep mentioning how this is unnecessary, that is really none of Garritan's business. I should be able to use my computer however I want, and software that I purchase should work forever without any dependence on servers at the company. After about 3 years I predict that my Garritan Steinway will be useless because of this and please know that many customers are lost including myself when this happens, because I'll never be dealing with Garritan again unless this is rectified. I try to remain civil but since ridiculous DRM seems to be saturating the industry, I can't seem to buy anything anymore. Should I be going analog and buying a real piano or is the industry going to wake up at some point?

electone2007
02-08-2009, 12:20 AM
If you weren't informed of the 4 installations limit PRIOR to clicking on the checkout button (which finalizes the purchase), I don't think it's binding.

Gary should know. I think I read somewhere in this forums that he's a lawyer.

Edit: In another thread Gary clarifies that the limitation pertains to installing on 4 machines at one time, not to sequential installs on same machine.

I went to garritan dot com to read the license agreement and there's no mention of this limitation.

Davidart
02-08-2009, 05:07 AM
I'm pretty livid about learning of this 4 install limit after purchasing the Garritan Steinway. I would never have bought it had I known, as I periodically reinstall my OS. And for people on this thread who keep mentioning how this is unnecessary, that is really none of Garritan's business. I should be able to use my computer however I want, and software that I purchase should work forever without any dependence on servers at the company. After about 3 years I predict that my Garritan Steinway will be useless because of this and please know that many customers are lost including myself when this happens, because I'll never be dealing with Garritan again unless this is rectified. I try to remain civil but since ridiculous DRM seems to be saturating the indistry, I can't seem to buy anything anymore. Should I be going analog and buying a real piano or is the industry going to wake up at some point?

This unfortunately is one reason I won't been purchasing this wonderful library yet.

Curt
02-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Would you NEED to install it on more than four machines at the SAME TIME? If not, then go ahead and buy this wonderful library already!!

If you do need multiple installs then email Gary about a multi-user license. I would think he'd be more than happy to accommodate you.

decapitor
02-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Would you NEED to install it on more than four machines at the SAME TIME? If not, then go ahead and buy this wonderful library already!!

If you do need multiple installs then email Gary about a multi-user license. I would think he'd be more than happy to accommodate you.

I hope you are right but from all the wordings I've seen, the 4 installation limit is 4 installations period on different machines, which would mean that if I reinstall the OS on my machine then I've wasted an installation, and there is no way to deactivate an old installation. I think a fair compromise would be to allow infinite installations as long as you only have 4 installs at any given time and have some sort of deauthorization technique for when you reinstall your OS or get a new machine. This is exactly what iTunes did with their songs (until they dropped DRM because the consumer hates it so much and realized that it wasn't preventing piracy at all). However, just to be clear I still would hate this because it would be contingent on Garritan's servers for de and re authorizations, and should they not support the server or go out of busniness (I really hope not, but this point is becoming for and more relevant in our current economic times to worry about DRMed software becoming obsolete as companies go under), then installation of the software would no longer be a possibility. I think the only DRM based compromise that I could be OK with would be if there was no installation limit and Garritan had at the ready a patch that removed all DRM in the case of their failure to maintain their activation servers for any reason that would be made immediately available and emailed to all registered users. Short of no DRM I think this is the only acceptable compromise.

ab53
02-08-2009, 01:22 PM
If Gary was in this to make a zillion dollars, the original Steinway Pro would cost more. Compare it to a 9 foot steinway purchase. Give me a break. The original product could have cost $1000 and I would have bought it.

Obviously, Gary loves what he is doing. Otherwise, he would be an attorney, like me.

So, count on him being a good guy. If he wasn't, I would not buy his product at any price.

So everyone, please be reasonable, as I am sure Gary will be.

Ranger
02-08-2009, 01:54 PM
my responses to this subject is not just directed to Gary and sons it's the whole industry I understand all that is invovled money, time and dedication the part I don't get is the limitations, pirates have none only the owners, and if the owner wants to share well there's nothing stopping him or her, Its just a matter of time before the product gets into the pirate field, thats sad for me its this kind of behavor that stop great products as the Steinway Cubase, EW products, etc...

I see no solutions maybe tighter control such as paypal with the token for double passwords, as for Gary's product the same the key plus another code this way the limitations may be lifted

reasonable I believe we all are it depends on which side of the fence you sit on

well enough I have to get back to my Steinway (Garritan)

decapitor
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
If Gary was in this to make a zillion dollars, the original Steinway Pro would cost more. Compare it to a 9 foot steinway purchase. Give me a break. The original product could have cost $1000 and I would have bought it.

Obviously, Gary loves what he is doing. Otherwise, he would be an attorney, like me.

So, count on him being a good guy. If he wasn't, I would not buy his product at any price.

So everyone, please be reasonable, as I am sure Gary will be.

I don't feel like anyone is being unreasonable and no personal attacks have been made on anyone. From what I hear Gary Garritan is a good guy, but it remains that the DRM was advertised as being graceful and unintrusive, and while the .png approach is slick, I feel that once you get that .png file it should last you forever. I don't really understand DRM apologists because you are essentially saying yeah we're being screwed but that's cool I have money to burn on a new copy if my license becomes invalid. That's hardly a solid arguement.

Curt
02-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm at 5 installs* since I bought the library in July. That should be proof that you get more than '4' installations period.

Curt

*I've been messing around with different DAWS and other tools and installing and uninstalling several DEMO apps! This past year I've wiped the hard drive on my studio PC a bit more than I would usually.

decapitor
02-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm at 5 installs* since I bought the library in July. That should be proof that you get more than '4' installations period.

Curt

*I've been messing around with different DAWS and other tools and installing and uninstalling several DEMO apps! This past year I've wiped the hard drive on my studio PC a bit more than I would usually.

Thanks for the input. I would love to hear some clarification or confirmation from Garritan about this as there is another thread in which he seems to confirm the 4 installation limit:
http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64524
While the wording is 4 machines, I would assume that a system reinstall would count as a new machine since I don't think the DRM has any way of keeping track of system components independent of the operating system.

ab53
02-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I understand what you are saying. But so far, there is no evidence of anyone who is using Garritan Steinway on ONE machine who has been refused the ability to use it more than four times My guess - and maybe I am wrong - that as long as they knew that it was not being used on more than four machines, that they would see to it that you did not get ripped off because of a computer upgrade. For instance, sometimes you have to get a new hard drive because your hard drive just goes out on you. Someday, we will all change to Windows 7, etc.

So I am saying, that because Gary has reasonably priced is product, I don't see any evidence yet where he is going to make anyone pay a full price for having to reload on the same machine.

If I am wrong - I guess Gary can say so.

I don't feel like anyone is being unreasonable and no personal attacks have been made on anyone. From what I hear Gary Garritan is a good guy, but it remains that the DRM was advertised as being graceful and unintrusive, and while the .png approach is slick, I feel that once you get that .png file it should last you forever. I don't really understand DRM apologists because you are essentially saying yeah we're being screwed but that's cool I have money to burn on a new copy if my license becomes invalid. That's hardly a solid arguement.

ab53
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I understand what you are saying. But so far, there is no evidence of anyone who is using Garritan Steinway on ONE machine who has been refused the ability to use it more than four times My guess - and maybe I am wrong - that as long as they knew that it was not being used on more than four machines, that they would see to it that you did not get ripped off because of a computer upgrade. For instance, sometimes you have to get a new hard drive because your hard drive just goes out on you. Someday, we will all change to Windows 7, etc.

So I am saying, that because Gary has reasonably priced is product, I don't see any evidence yet where he is going to make anyone pay a full price for having to reload on the same machine.

If I am wrong - I guess Gary can say so.

decapitor
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
It's been a while since anyone has been on this thread but if anyone has any updates on the 4 machine install limit please do tell. I'm getting pretty frustrated with my install of Vista and am considering going back to XP, but I don't want to lose one of my 4 installs, especially since I'm planning on getting Windows 7 when it comes out. Then I'd have used 3 installs with only one left. Since I usually reinstall my OS every year or two this would put a very short lifespan on my Garritan Steinway purchase. Somebody please tell me that the 4 install limit isn't real or has been revoked.

Jeff Hurchalla
04-01-2009, 04:18 PM
You should be completely fine if you go back to XP and/or if you go to Windows 7. You aren't limited to 4 installs total throughout your lifetime of ownership (your total number of installs is unlimited). The 4 install limit refers to a user being limited to having the Steinway installed on a maximum of 4 machines *at the same time*. If you want to free up an install, just uninstall the Steinway from one of your 4 old machines, then go and install it on a new machine. That's all there is to it.

decapitor
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
You should be completely fine if you go back to XP and/or if you go to Windows 7. You aren't limited to 4 installs total throughout your lifetime of ownership (your total number of installs is unlimited). The 4 install limit refers to a user being limited to having the Steinway installed on a maximum of 4 machines *at the same time*. If you want to free up an install, just uninstall the Steinway from one of your 4 old machines, then go and install it on a new machine. That's all there is to it.

Thanks for the clarification. That sounds more reasonable to me, though for the record I still am against any level of DRM that needs server identification, because if your servers should ever go down whether it's because you're out of business or you just don't support it, I wouldn't be able to use the software anymore. I assume this is how you'd impose the 4 install limit correct? The uninstall would send a +1 back to your server and an install would send a -1?

Ranger
04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
well I apologize to staff for my aggressive posts about this issue , I suppose we all can learn or at least me to ask more questions before loosing it now I have more faith in this organization thanks Jeff

JohnGrant
04-04-2009, 07:17 AM
And now for some shameless thread piggy-backing and title-deviation: what's the best near-zero-latency machine/setup for a "reinstalled" Steinway. IE... what sort of machine/hardware are folks currently reinstalling to???

JG

nikolas
04-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks Jeff!

At last someone with a sane mind! )(~

I will report any misshaps with Xp x64 AND Steinway 24-bit, since my new computer should 'rock'! :D