PDA

View Full Version : AUTHORIZED STEINWAY Synced to Video - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1

Garritan
05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Here is a video sync that DPDan did with the Authorized Steinway.

www.garritan.com/Steinway/demos/Tchaikovsky_Piano_Concerto_No_1.html
(Press Play button)

DPDan took the video of a piano performance by Nairí Grigorián and synchronized a MIDI file using the Authorized Virtual Concert Grand. What you will see is a real pianist and orchestra playing but what you hear is a synchronized MIDI-mock-up using the Authorized Steinway (and GPO & GOS). Dan did an amazing job!

The artist is Nairí Grigorián is an internationally acclaimed pianist from Armenia and performs throughout the world, is a professor of piano, and a judge of various piano competitions.

There may have been some anomalies in the conversion from a 100+ MB video file and the redaction. Please let me know how this can be improved.

Thanks to DP Dan for putting this unique and masterful synchronization together and many thanks to Nairí Grigoriá for permission to use this video.

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

SeanHannifin
05-14-2008, 01:09 AM
A true collection of masters here! A master composer, a master pianist, a master piano library, and of course, the master Dan!!

)(~ )(~ )(~

Truly amazing sound!

darrob
05-14-2008, 02:56 AM
That is just astonishing :wow:

I would love to have the skill and patience to be able to do such a masterful job, both in creating the mock-up, and in the Syncing.

Congratulations DPDan )(~ Loved watching and listening to this performance.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Raymond62
05-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Must have been a hell of a job. Really great.That Steinway is just superb.
Great performance. Thanks DPDAN.

Raymond

KeithW
05-14-2008, 08:13 AM
This just proves what I already knew- Dan K. never sleeps!

Thanks Dan, again, a wonderful job.

Keith Walls

June-Bug-Dan
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
WOW!!

That brightened up my day!!
Thanks you for this DPDan!!!

Regards,

Dan (Now deeply jelious:p)

buckshead
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
How many hours did this take ? astonishing

Is there a short cut that Ive missed ?

Styxx
05-14-2008, 12:11 PM
)(~ Yes! Another for the collection by the master wizard DPDAN! Brilliant DAN! Just absolutely brilliant! )(~

Styxx
05-14-2008, 01:08 PM
OK Dan, how about backwards? :D

nikolas
05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I will be honest here.

This piece is one of my favourites (from the top 200 or something! :D) Dan is doing great justice to the piece. The syncing is phenomenal and the expression and rendering are astonishing! GPO and GOS sound very very good and no question about the Steinway it sounds stunning!

I do however have a tiny bit of question/suggestion/objections, which I hope will be seen as kind as they are.

I found the volume of the woods at around 03:00 a bit loud for my taste (but this is personal).

A bit more objective maybe is that I felt the piano was in a different room (reverb wise) from the orchestra. It seemed to be... 1 meter from the mic (1 meter is of course an aproximation, no idea if it is 1 or 10 in reality), while the orchestra started at 6-7 meter away from the mic... At least my impression from the two times I heard/saw the piece.

Gary: maybe making the file a little larger would help? Although it looked great as I saw it (twice) if you do want a better quality with current Internet speed it wouldn't be trouble to have it a twice the size, I imagine... just an idea.

etLux
05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Dan the Man does it again!

My heavens, Dan, I never fail to be amazed when you
do these -- the craftsmanship and musicianship it takes
to pull this off are as stunning as the results!

My best,

David
www.DavidSosnowski.com

germancomponist
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
A true collection of masters here! A master composer, a master pianist, a master piano library, and of course, the master Dan!!

)(~ )(~ )(~

Truly amazing sound!

I agree 100%!

trentpmcd
05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Sounds (and looks) great. I agree with Nikolas that I wouldn’t mind seeing this bigger.

Gustov Varbirski
05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Amazing! Wonderful! A masterpiece!

Rhap2
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Why don't I see a play button?

My screen of the movie is "BLANK."

Jack

Rhap2
05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Got it now.........

Jack

Rhap2
05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Just amazing, Dan. One of my favorite piano concertos and
you have brought new life to it.

You have made the Steinway D sound so real and, of course,
the orchestra was magnificent (as always under your auspices).

Thanks for this 3-minute recreation of great music produced by
a great audio engineer.

Jack

Garritan
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Why don't I see a play button?

My screen of the movie is "BLANK."

JackJack,

I redid the link and it should work better in IE now.

Best,

Gary

PS: I had the video slightly bigger but kept it somewhat small due to bandwidth size.

DPDAN
05-14-2008, 09:59 PM

)(~ )(~ )(~

Truly amazing sound!

You're very generous with your confidence in me Sean :)

Thank you!

That is just astonishing :wow:

I would love to have the skill and patience to be able to do such a masterful job, both in creating the mock-up, and in the Syncing.

Congratulations DPDan )(~ Loved watching and listening to this performance.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

I am glad you enjoyed it, thank you :)

Must have been a hell of a job. Really great.That Steinway is just superb.
Great performance. Thanks DPDAN.

Raymond

it fries my p brain, :wow: thank you Raymond!

This just proves what I already knew- Dan K. never sleeps!

Thanks Dan, again, a wonderful job.

Keith Walls

very little sleep is right, it is really tedious, but fun to accomplish nonetheless. I always hated that word "nonetheless"
Thank you Keith.

WOW!!

That brightened up my day!!
Thanks you for this DPDan!!!

Regards,

Dan (Now deeply jelious:p)

WOW! That makes me feel good!
Thank you Dan

How many hours did this take ? astonishing

Is there a short cut that Ive missed ?

Not really sure about the total hours, I would guess around 80-90.
Mind boggling when you realize that it only lasts 3 minutes. It is mostly constant tweaking of the conductor track to make the notes play precisely in time and the velocities have to match too.
Even once the pianist's hands are in sync, the orchestra's notes get alot of tweaking with regard to sync as well. It's a real a hoot! Thank you!

)(~ Yes! Another for the collection by the master wizard DPDAN! Brilliant DAN! Just absolutely brilliant! )(~

awe shucks :) thank you Mike!

OK Dan, how about backwards? :D

:) !ekiM ouy knahT ,KO

I will be honest here.

This piece is one of my favourites (from the top 200 or something! :D) Dan is doing great justice to the piece. The syncing is phenomenal and the expression and rendering are astonishing! GPO and GOS sound very very good and no question about the Steinway it sounds stunning!

I do however have a tiny bit of question/suggestion/objections, which I hope will be seen as kind as they are.

I found the volume of the woods at around 03:00 a bit loud for my taste (but this is personal).

A bit more objective maybe is that I felt the piano was in a different room (reverb wise) from the orchestra. It seemed to be... 1 meter from the mic (1 meter is of course an aproximation, no idea if it is 1 or 10 in reality), while the orchestra started at 6-7 meter away from the mic... At least my impression from the two times I heard/saw the piece.

Hi Nicholas,
there are a few things now that I listen again after many times that I would do different. As always, I am never totally satisfied. :) I think the piano should be a little lower in volume, and blend more with the orchestra from the perspective of reverberation and stage placement. There always comes a time when we have to say OK, "let's move on" :)
Thank for your nice words Nicholas. :)

Dan has the special Steinway Genius Version...Gary's been playing favorites again;):p:D

More of what we've come to expect from Dan, for sure! absolutely wonderful!

Jon
Crap! I as hoping nobody would find out :)

Thank you Jon! :hp:

Dan the Man does it again!

My heavens, Dan, I never fail to be amazed when you
do these -- the craftsmanship and musicianship it takes
to pull this off are as stunning as the results!

My best,
David

www.DavidSosnowski.com

Awe David, you really know how to make a guy feel good!
Thank you so much David!

THANK YOU GUNTHER!

Sounds (and looks) great. I agree with Nikolas that I wouldn’t mind seeing this bigger.

me too :)
Thanks Trent!

Amazing! Wonderful! A masterpiece!

Thank you for listening Gustov! It is nice to have you here with us :)

Just amazing, Dan. One of my favorite piano concertos and
you have brought new life to it.

You have made the Steinway D sound so real and, of course,
the orchestra was magnificent (as always under your auspices).

Thanks for this 3-minute recreation of great music produced by
a great audio engineer.

Jack

Jack, Jack, Jack,... reading words like that from a person who is so talented,....
someone that I admire so much. Thank you always friend!

Jack,

I redid the link and it should work better in IE now.

Best,

Gary

PS: I had the video slightly bigger but kept it somewhat small due to bandwidth size.

There you go again Gary, always helping people. I will never forget something someone once told me about you,
"you invest in people"... what an honorable way to live!

THANK YOU GARY FOR EVERYTHING!

Thank you everyone!
Digital Performer Dan :)

DPDAN
05-14-2008, 10:00 PM
that was one doozie of a post :)
Dan

Gustov Varbirski
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
that was one doozie of a post :)
Dan

You must spend almost as much time on your posts as you do your recordings! :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

You are an inspiration, certainly to me, but I'm sure to all of us as well.

Gus

DPDAN
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Gustov,
thank you very much, it brings me joy to read what you said.

Dan

marce
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Dan, here is a new video that you can synchronize!
Maybe is more easy, since the director maybe is GPO ready! ~| :p

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/ASIMO/20080513-ASIMO-DSO/

DPDAN
05-16-2008, 02:30 AM
someday all the people on the stage will have little bent white plastic legs and arms :(

:)
Dan

Gustov Varbirski
05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Dan, here is a new video that you can synchronize!

I saw a news story on this. The actual conductor's movements were being traced and emulated by the robot.

I think the robot was going to try it without the real conductor, but he neglected to study his score. :wow: ~| )(~