PDA

View Full Version : Hey Steinway Users?

Styxx
04-30-2008, 10:52 AM
What Keyboard controller are you using with the new Garritan Steinway and why? Yes, why? Why the h ....
I'm in the market (well, not literally IN the market) for a keyboard controller and was wanderink if a 61 note would suffice or shall I splurgega and go for an 88 hammer action, stereophonic, reverse key, usb, with dual quad exhaust, twin turbo sliders, and 40000 buttons (8 of which work and the rest just look cool)?
You dunt have to answer dis questione eeff you no wanta! Ezz just curiouso.
No, wait ... Answer the question young man or no dinner tonight! :mad::)

Jaybee
04-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, for me . . . it's use what you got. And for me, that's my old, tried and true, Fatar Studio 88 Plus which I've had for 14 years. I would love to get a newer keyboard but this one is still chugging along quite well, thank you very much, and I just can't see spending my Economic Stimulus Rebate Check to replace something that ain't broke. I'd really like to have a Yamaha complete with the 3 pedal array but I'm going to wait and see if Gary has any luck brokering a deal for a group buy on the CME pedals.

Do I get dessert with my supper tonight? :p:)

Styxx
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Economic Stimulus Rebate CheckOh yeah, I forgot about that sucker. However, for me the stimulus rebate check goes to non other than my better half, other.
I remember correctly that particular Yamaha was quite the jewel at one time. My problem is having no keyboard at all at present. I had an M-Audio but sold it at our store a few months ago when I thought I was moving to Alaska. Turns out the trip fell through and here I stay in good 'ol dilapidated Buffalo. I'm thinking of the M-Audio Pro 88 or a CME? Nevertheless, I thought I would get the opinion of some of out esteemed members. Hmm, a steamed member. Kinda sounds a little on the raw side, yes? ~|

MMOSC
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that sucker. However, for me the stimulus rebate check goes to non other than my better half, other.
I remember correctly that particular Yamaha was quite the jewel at one time. My problem is having no keyboard at all at present. I had an M-Audio but sold it at our store a few months ago when I thought I was moving to Alaska. Turns out the trip fell through and here I stay in good 'ol dilapidated Buffalo. I'm thinking of the M-Audio Pro 88 or a CME? Nevertheless, I thought I would get the opinion of some of out esteemed members. Hmm, a steamed member. Kinda sounds a little on the raw side, yes? ~|

I have a Yamaha P90 & the M-Audio Keystation pro 88. The Yamaha is great the keystation pro not so much. I think you can pick up a P70 for under $500, if you're using it for the Steinway it's polyphonic limitations shouldn't matter. I don't have the Steinway does that disqualify me?:D

Raymond62
04-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I am planning to use it with my Oberheim MC 1000 - 88 key, semi-piano key-touch.

Raymond

jrcallan
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm planning to use it with a Casio AP-45 console digital piano.

I'll report once I have the GS software up and running.

bigears
04-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I am using an older Roland A-90 keyboard controller with the addition of the CME GPP-3 USB pedal. It's a 88, weighted hammer action keyboard that isn't manufactured anymore.
Finally got it working smoothly (now if my playing technique could be as smooth!)
Good Luck, John

Styxx
05-01-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm planning to use it with a Casio AP-45 console digital piano.

I'll report once I have the GS software up and running.Hmm, we have them at our store. I was wondering how one would work out. I'll have to take one home and try it out. Thanks.

rfdillon
05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I am using it with an old Roland A-80 fully weighted keyboard (80 lbs.):wow:
I haven't sprung for one of the new 3-in-1 pedals because I rarely use anything other than a sustain pedal.

Styxx
05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Roland has a new one out I'm told. 88 graded hammer action however I don't have the info to comment securely as of yet. We shall look into it further. :)

klassical
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Styx, what do you need a keyboard for? Just get 88 MIDI drum pads and go crazy! ~|

Styxx
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Styx, what do you need a keyboard for? Just get 88 MIDI drum pads and go crazy! ~| Hey! Good freakin idea! )(~

KeithW
05-03-2008, 01:02 PM
What Keyboard controller are you using with the new Garritan Steinway and why? Yes, why? Why the h ....
I'm in the market (well, not literally IN the market) for a keyboard controller and was wanderink if a 61 note would suffice or shall I splurgega and go for an 88 hammer action, stereophonic, reverse key, usb, with dual quad exhaust, twin turbo sliders, and 40000 buttons (8 of which work and the rest just look cool)?
You dunt have to answer dis questione eeff you no wanta! Ezz just curiouso.
No, wait ... Answer the question young man or no dinner tonight! :mad::)

I have an old Roland RD-500 Stage Piano, they are now on the RD-700 series (RD-700, RD-700GX, and RD-700SX.) I like the action on their stuff. I also have used the M-Audio ProKeys 88 and I like that one, too.

Keith Walls

Styxx
05-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I have an old Roland RD-500 Stage Piano, they are now on the RD-700 series (RD-700, RD-700GX, and RD-700SX.) I like the action on their stuff. I also have used the M-Audio ProKeys 88 and I like that one, too.

Keith Walls I'm hearing quite a bit on Yamaha products lately which I have never considered in the past. I have considered the M-Audio Prokeys 88 but there seems to be many cons more than pros about the action. Going to have to take a ride to Guitar Center and give both a try.

jonlehman
07-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm using the m-audio keystation pro 88 - mainly because I paid $250 on ebay. I can't afford a more expensive controller. I grew up playing on a Steinway baby-grand (6-foot), so I'm used to a nice-sounding/playing piano. The keystation pro isn't a Steinway...at all. I find that the biggest thing is that the keyboard doesn't know the difference between playing loudly and very loudly. Hitting the keys kind-of-hard produces the same sound as hitting them with all your might. I'm playing around with the velocity curves on the unit, and haven't found a setting that I really like. There are a few other quirks about it as well.

That said, I'm still very happy with this setup. I'll learn to play with the quirks. To me, it sounds way better than a $600 upright piano, which, between the keystation, the Garritan software, and Cubase Essentials, is about what I paid for this system. Plus, I don't have to tune or maintain it.

If you have 1000-2000 dollars to spend on a good controller, I would recommend that you buy something other than the Keystation.

electone2007
07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I use a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240 with Garritan Steinway. It has graded hammer action keyboard.

This Clavinova has three pedals. The sustain pedal gives continuous MIDI, not on-off switch. (You don't have to buy another pedal set).

It also has built in amp and speaker system which sounds good with software pianos. To me, this setup is more realistic than having reference monitors up front where you can hear the sounds but can't feel the vibrations in your fingers and feet (pedals).

This response deserves a laureat complete with dessert. :)

bluntinstrument
07-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm using my old Yammie S80, but am looking around for something lighter to gig with.

Houston Haynes
07-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Try the Yamaha KX8 if you get a chance.

ab53
07-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I really like the new Roland RD700GX. It has ivory feeling keys and great action. It also has flexible options for dynamic controls for the Garritan Steinway. It is a great combo.

Now if only the Garritan Steinway was IN my Roland RD700GX. I would love that.