PDA

View Full Version : Steinway suggested keyboards?

beethoven17
04-23-2008, 08:51 AM
The manual for the Authorized Steinway refers to the website for suggestions of suitable keyboards for use with it.

Am I just not looking properly, or haven't they got there yet??

Does anyone have a personal recommendation of something with weighted keys, and available in the UK?

Rhap2
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't know if they are sold in the UK, but, to me, the best
weighted keyboards are the Yamaha KZ8 and the CME 88-note
model.

Make sure you try one before you purchase. It's like buying a
car--they all look great until your drive them.

Cheers,

Jack

nikolas
04-23-2008, 10:22 AM
If you want a more realistic touché I would strongly suggest steering away from midi controllers, and towards digital pianos, pianolas, etc.

I have a Casio PX 110, which is rubbish as a midi control, but the feeling I get from the keyboard is tons better anything else I've tried! Of course I've heard a rumour about extremely bad servicing, but until something does go wrong... But honestly, it just feels like a real piano, heavy, different weight accross the keyboard, etc.

rfdillon
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I have an antique Roland A-80 MIDI controller, and it feels good to my touch. Heavy too, ~ 80 lbs!

bigears
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi, I am also using an old Roland A-90 controller and I am very pleased with it. I have recently been working with the Authorized Steinway and I am having great results with my setup. Unfortunately, these have been out of production for some time. Maybe a search would turn one up?
The recent business association between Roland and Cakewalk may lead to the develop of a controller more suited to the software/MIDI crowd.
There are many posts on the question of weighted keyboards in the Piano Forum. Here is a link to one of them:
http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55856&highlight=weighted+keyboard+controller

Good luck with this, John (bigears) :hp:

Pingu
04-23-2008, 03:33 PM
If you want a more realistic touché I would strongly suggest steering away from midi controllers, and towards digital pianos, pianolas, etc.

I'm starting to think that way too. I had my Roland electric piano in my studio, and it felt great. The problem was the lack of a modwheel, and inputs for other controllers - no way to do cc11 in real-time for instance. So I moved it out and bought a CME UF88.

And that's fine for strings, brass, etc. But it doesn't feel like it could take a pounding. I'm seriously considering moving my piano back in for playing the Steinway. The only problem I can see is that I don't think the pedals on most electric pianos do proportional pedalling - fairly sure they're just switches.

carulli
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I really like the feel of my M- Audio axiom for a midi keyboard its very good imho. I bought from the recommendations of others because of its feel. I tried some others while shopping and for the most part they felt flimsy and cheap.

As a midi it really does have all the bells and whistles. Pads,zones , mod and pitch ect.

bigears
04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
For those keyboards without pedals or digital keyboards that won't send continuous controller numbers, the CME GPP-3 is really very nice. Great sturdy build, USB, MIDI, or standard cables to your keyboard. I have mine running thru the USB to the computer, where it interacts with the GUI of your software. I got mine for $99. John

Nickie Fønshauge
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
You might want to consider the Fatar StudioLogic SL-990 (Pro/XL). It gets excellent reviews (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Keyboard+And+MIDI/product/Fatar/StudioLogic+SL-990/10/1). Not enough controls? Run the Fatar through a Behringer BCF2000 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-BCF2000-BControl-Fader?sku=701763) (or something similar).

beethoven17
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Somehow I'd managed to miss the fact that Yamaha do something suitable. Definitely a make I trust - my acoustic piano's one, and the SY85 synth I've had for some years just keeps on playing while other keyboards get sticky notes, etc. So I think I'll take a close look at the KX8 as soon as I get the chance!