PDA

View Full Version : Garritan Tech Support

richardjay
04-18-2008, 06:40 AM
I posted a message whilst logged into garritan.biz about 24hrs ago, saying that I can't use Steinway Pro in Sonar 7, but haven't heard anything back.

Should I have heard something by now ?

The reason I ask is that this is the fourth email I've sent over the past week and I've yet to hear a reply to any of them. I also didn't get any email receipt when I purchased or shipping notification, despite the order page telling me that I would receive those emails. I've whitelisted garritan.com and garritan.biz so I don't think it's a spam issue ...

So, Garritan Tech's - if you're reading this, can you please send me a PM so that we can figure out what happened ?

Jaybee
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Maybe if you wish to share your problem here you will find some answers. There are some very knowledgeable people who frequent these forums and may have already experienced the same problem you are experiencing and can offer you some help. It would help to know the particulars of your computer setup, etc. The people here are very good about helping others. Give it a chance.

richardjay
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Sure. In a nutshell, I get constant glitching when using the Steinway Pro VST in Sonar 7.0.2. I've tried changing all the different settings in the VST and also pushed the Sonar I/O buffers upto 1024 but it makes no difference. My system (see sig below) is easily capable of handling this so I don't think there's anything else I can do on my end. The CPU meter is around 10% on average so there's no bottleneck there.

I loaded the 24bit version BTW.

tfishbein82
04-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Sure. In a nutshell, I get constant glitching when using the Steinway Pro VST in Sonar 7.0.2. I've tried changing all the different settings in the VST and also pushed the Sonar I/O buffers upto 1024 but it makes no difference. My system (see sig below) is easily capable of handling this so I don't think there's anything else I can do on my end. The CPU meter is around 10% on average so there's no bottleneck there.

I loaded the 24bit version BTW.
How is the standalone working for you?
Does closing the Steinway GUI have any effect?

richardjay
04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Standalone works fine 95% of the time but still glitches occasionally.

Closing the VST GUI helps a little but it's not a major improvement.

tfishbein82
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I'd recommend you PM David (plogue) (http://northernsounds.com/forum/member.php?u=4464) with complete specs and a detailed description of the problems. He made the software and should be able to help you.

There should also be a Report Technical Issue shortcut through the Start Menu --> Programs for the Steinway.

richardjay
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jon - can I ask how you made contact with David initially ?? Was it through www.garritan.biz ? I've still not heard from anyone at Garritan ....

Haydn
04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
You probably haven't received a response from garritan.biz as that's the automated registration site. You should be going to garritan.com. Also, you can call for tech support. The telephone number is listed on the garritan.com website.

Jim

richardjay
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Haydn,

When you are logged into garritan.biz there is a Contact / Support page - I thought that was where you get support (a reasonable assumption I think).

Also I did send a message using the webform at garritan.com and also another one direct to gary@garritan.com using my email program - again, no response.

Finally, even though I'm in the UK, I did actually try calling them. After the phone was picked up I just heard this horrible deafening noise for a few seconds and I was eventually disconnected.

Jon,

The 'Report Technical Issue' in ARIA is all very well but what do you do if your music computer is not connected to the internet ?

Come on guys: it shouldn't be this difficult to get support after spending $400.

richardjay
04-18-2008, 05:46 PM
OK thanks Jon. It didn't occur to me that this is what the tech tool does (though I suspect whatever is sent by it only goes to the same person as the email I sent).

I perfectly understand that they may be busy but 4 emails going unanswered, without so much as an autoresponder saying they got the email(s), is a little disconcerting.

David (plogue)
04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Hello Richard.

Received your PM. Gary is out for a few days, so that might explain the delays.
Reading from your issues in this thread. Glitches are the plague of any real time audio system, and since there can be many many causes (all contributing to the picture), its
not as easy to diagnose/fix as say a crash that occurs always doing the exact same steps.

You mention that the glitches are less frequent in the Standalone, so that at least tells us that your system should be able to "tolerate" the load Steinway provides.

Sonar has many dozen audio/driver settings, each influencing VSTis in their own way.
I would guess the next thing is to try various settings in Sonar: switch from WDM to ASIO, to DS, and try to pinpoint which settings give the combination of Sonar/Aria a hard time for you. It would be interesting to know if the glitches are present when audio tracks are running, how many notes are playing, if Sonar is set to use multi processors or not.

Without having live access to your system, its a bit difficult for me to know what could be causing this.

please post anything you can.

richardjay
04-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Hello David,

My PC spec is in my sig. I'm streaming the samples from a Seagate 7200rpm drive (don't know which model). The disk meter in Aria is not going above 3 or 4% and Aria shows zero disk loss but still I hear plenty of glitches. The glitches seem to happen either at the attack of the note or when I release the sustain pedal. This is on any mic position and with the optional features all turned off. Turning them all on doesn't appear to change the problem at all (no better and no worse), likewise, minimising the GUI causes little or no improvement.

I tried freezing the synth (ie rendering to audio) and there were no clicks on the resulting WAV file.

My soundcard is running at a latency of 3ms/128 samples and I can usually run many VST's and audio tracks at a time without the CPU even breaking a sweat. It's a good system so I can't really see how anything would need tweaking at my end, though I don't mind trying if you have suggestions.

David (plogue)
04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I tried freezing the synth (ie rendering to audio) and there were no clicks on the resulting WAV file.

Ok that is good to know. both offline glitch free and no disk loss.

My soundcard is running at a latency of 3ms/128 samples and I can usually run many VST's and audio tracks at a time without the CPU even breaking a sweat. It's a good system so I can't really see how anything would need tweaking at my end, though I don't mind trying if you have suggestions.

Well again since i don't have access to your setup this is going to prove difficult.
Will have to investigate more.

Garritan
04-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Jon,

Sorry for your troubles. I see David has been here trying to answer your questions and provide support.

We usually answer all our emails and you say you sent four went unanswered? For some reason your email may not be getting through. Try checking your spam folder and I'll check ours.

As far as the deafening noise it could be a bad connection across the pond (hope you didn't indadvertenly call the fax line). Please try again.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Gary Garritan

richardjay
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Gary,

The "deafening" sound was like somebody answering their cellphone whilst driving an open-top car at 100mph ;)

Anyway, the important email I sent to you was via the webform at garritan.biz - did you find that one ?

Garritan
04-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Gary,

The "deafening" sound was like somebody answering their cellphone whilst driving an open-top car at 100mph ;)

Anyway, the important email I sent to you was via the webform at garritan.biz - did you find that one ?

Jon,

Must not have been me. I was driving my open-top car at only 90 MPH :D
Try calling me at 360-376-5766. I'll put the top on.

Also, we're checking the email server. In the meantime please email me at gary at garritan dot com. We'll do our best to get your problem resolved.

Best,

Gary

richardjay
04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks Gary. I just emailed that address so await your response.

Haydn
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
You may want to check to see if you are having a DPC Latency issue with your motherboard. You can download the checker at: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If you have any peaks with this tool especially in the yellow or red zones, then you have a system issue.

Jim

richardjay
04-22-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Haydn. I just tried it and, as expected, there were no problems and my max latency was very low at about 50.