PDA

View Full Version : Using existing big band Finale files with JABB.

gaitkeeper
07-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I have the JABB working as an original file, but my older files will not play.
What do I need to do or is this possible? Thank you

Tom Hopkins
07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
I have the JABB working as an original file, but my older files will not play.
What do I need to do or is this possible? Thank youIf your older files are in standard MIDI format then you have a lot of work ahead of you. Existing mod wheel data (if used for vibrato) will need to be converted to Aftertouch data and cc17 added for vibrato speed control. You will need to convert velocity and any expressive continuous volume controller data (cc7 or cc11) to mod wheel data and that resulting data will almost certainly need to be re-edited for shaping. It may be easier to just delete all volume-related data from the tracks and re-do it as mod wheel data. Velocity must be edited for the JABB function of attack strength. Sustain pedal data for tongue/slur will need to be added for articulations. Pitchbend data will need to be scaled to match the range setting in JABB. You will need to use either cc7 data or instrument volume knob settings for static level balances between instruments. You will need to assign different instruments to each part. If the parts are polyphonic you will need to split them to separate parts for best results. If the older files are quantized you will need to loosen the timing through editing. And those are just the basics. As I said, lots of work.

Tom

Tom Hopkins
07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
More thoughts: You don't say which host program or platform you are working in but you may want to start by just getting some sound. To do that you will need to load instruments; assign matching MIDI channels to the tracks and instruments; set volume for each instrument with the instrument volume knob or a single piece of moderate level cc7 data at the beginning of the track (if cc7 is activated in the Instrument Options menu); and put a single piece of moderate level mod wheel data (cc1) at the start of each track. Make sure your host program isn't set to zero controllers at stop. As long as you have your mixer routing setup correctly that should give you some sound during playback.

Tom

gaitkeeper
07-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Tom,
Thank you. I suppose I should have been more clear. The older files are Finale files which are just notation. I never used any effects of any kind. Before, I was only concerned with the correct notes. Now, I feel I need to have a better quality of sound. This morning I copied a few bars from a smaller file into a new file with GPO and it seemed to work, but the output levels were drastically different. I eventually got it to sound. I see I might have my work cut out with some of my charts that have over 200 measures!
Thanks again for your input.)(~

Andrew Koenig
07-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Once you have the instruments set up right, using Human Playback might provide a useful shortcut to getting it to sound reasonable.