PDA

View Full Version : Drum Set in JABB

chordspinner
03-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Greetings. I'm having some difficulty that I can't seem to ferret out in any of the documentation available and am wondering if someone can be of assistance.
I'm working with JABB in Finale 2006c. I've successfully loaded the complete instrumentation I need and playback is working very well on all staffs except for the drum set. I can't get any sound on playback. According to the meter on the track there is a signal and, when I go to the Kontackt player, there is sound when I depress the appropriate keys. Yes, the mod-wheel is turned up. I have left the default settings on the instrument list for the channel which, curiously says "Acoustic Piano" (??)
I'm doing all my notation entry from the computer keyboard as I don't have a midi device connected. Could it have to do with that?
I know it's something simple I'm overlooking but have run out of ideas.
Regards, Fred.

chordspinner
03-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Just curious: Nobody knows or just not an interesting question or what? Would appreciate any kind of a reply. I really need this. Thanks.

Ed Sharpe
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Just curious: Nobody knows or just not an interesting question or what? Would appreciate any kind of a reply. I really need this. Thanks.

If you where using Sibelius I could help you, but I do not do Finale.

ごめんなさい。Gomen nasai.

Ed

Jeff Turner
03-28-2007, 02:17 PM
I just tried it, it does work. Make sure that the midi track in Finale is the same midi track the drums are assigned to in the JABB player. The problem might be the fact that you're not using a midi keyboard for note entry. Combine this with using a percussion staff with percussion mapping assigned to it, gets confusing if you don't have a midi keyboard.

As a test, in a separate file, create a few measures of drum notation, but don't make this a Finale percussion staff, just a standard treble clef staff. Look at the virtual keyboard in the JABB player, and notice what specific notes are assigned to snare, bass dr., etc....

Write out a few bars, it won't look like drum notation, but it should playback correctly. It does not need to be assigned to the percussion midi channel 10. Any midi channel will do. If it works here, then you'll need to read up in Finale's manual about percussion maps, and how to input percussion in these staves without a midi keyboard.

Jeff

chordspinner
03-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Arigato gozaimasu, Jeff. I'll try that. There were some weird numbers as far as channel assignment.
Fred.

chordspinner
03-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Ok. Now I'm really confused. I checked the channel assignments verses the channels in the Kontakt Player and, yep, you were right, Jeff, it wasn't the same. I changed it to agree and immediately got "sounds" on playback in Finale....but. "Normal" notation on the staff for drum set produced only cymbal sounds. To get snare, toms and bass drum....through considerable searching, I had to go two octaves lower than they should have been. It's like I have the wrong kind of staff...even though I specified percussion staff in set-up. So I deleted the staff and started all over with a new one....same results. Is it something I did in the original set-up that I can't re-do? As I said before, all the correct sounds seem to be there but are two octaves below where they should be.
Anybody from Garritan there........????http://northernsounds.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Jeff Turner
03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
You need to enter the dark world of Finale's Percussion Maps.

Have fun! :eek: