PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic sound question

TNLT
02-10-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm not familiar with the terminology for that particular violin sound, but in a few instances of one of Paganini's violin concerti, the violinist plays notes that sound like "muted harmonics" which give the violin an almost flute-like quality. I've always liked that unique expression and was wondering if the Garritan Stradivarius 2 can perform that sound (i.e. whether it's been sampled). I heard a harmonic patch in one of the demos, but that wasn't the one I'm referring to. Thanks.

danpowers
02-10-2007, 09:21 PM
You're probably referring to what are known as "artificial harmonics." The difference is that "natural" harmonics are performed on the open string, while artificial harmonics are performed on a stopped string. The technique involves depressing a note on the string with the first finger, while lightly touching the harmonic node a fourth above with the fourth finger. The resulting sound is two octaves above the stopped note.

GSSV currently does not include artificial harmonics. :( But a number of people, including me, have put in requests for this to be added, so there is hope.

TNLT
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks Danpowers. There's also something called "sul tasto" or "flautando" which sounds similar to what I was looking for. Either way, it's not crucial, but it would be nice to have that along with the other harmonic tricks available in a future release.