PDA

View Full Version : Producing "Hollywood" piano sound...

petelms
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi.

I have been thinking and wondering how do they archieve that well produced "Hollywood" piano sound? Of course they are using real grand pianos and miking them perfectly with great ambience, but any ideas how do they process the sound? What do I need to produce that kind of piano sound in my DAW?

EQ settings? Compressor settings? What kind of reverb is prefered with pianos? What is the best piano sample library?

I know this is a huge question.

Thank you.

Journeyman
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I wasn't aware that there is a "Hollywood" piano sound. Can you post a clip of an example?

Garritan
01-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I wasn't aware that there is a "Hollywood" piano sound. Can you post a clip of an example?

http://www.hollywoodpiano.com/ ;)

Journeyman
01-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Rotflmao! ;)

eliasbats
02-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I believe Petelms wants to reproduce the easy-listening, low velocity, melodic piano sound that is very common in film soundtracks. Garritan's Steinway can reproduce that kind of sound with great success. Simply:

* Keep the velocity under 30-40,

* Add some rich reverb.

PROTOOLSGUY
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I also know that to produce that hollywood sound, they tend to use mics in close proximity. If your sound libary gives you the option to turn off the distant mics, you'll get a brighter sound that shows off the attack.

Worra
05-05-2007, 03:36 AM
White Grand....... www.sampletekk.com

Ashermusic
05-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I believe Petelms wants to reproduce the easy-listening, low velocity, melodic piano sound that is very common in film soundtracks. Garritan's Steinway can reproduce that kind of sound with great success. Simply:

* Keep the velocity under 30-40,

* Add some rich reverb.

It hasn't been released yet has it?

ArtVista's Maljmso is very good for that Thomas Newman type Hollywood sound.