PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Ivory Standalone on PC?

studio64
01-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi

I recently bought and installed Ivory 1.5 on my PC.
I am using it in Cubase 4 as a VST instrument and it works fine.

I then downloaded and installed the update to 1.6 which includes the Standalone version.

The VSTi still works fine in Cubase 4, but no way can I get the Standalone version to run.
It opens up OK, but as soon as I try to select the Midi in Device, or the Audio device, the Hourglass
appears and Ivory stops responding. I can't even shut down the computer.I have to switch off at the mains.
Synthogy are investigating, but I have heard nothing yet.

Just wondered if anyone had similar experience?

regards

John-studio64

sporter
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
It's working on my system. Wish I could offer something more useful, but at least you know it does work...

studio64
01-11-2007, 07:16 AM
sporter, thanks for replying.

Can you just confirm where you have your "Ivory" standalone folder and "VSTPlugins" standalone folder.

My Above Standalone files are in C/Program Files/Synthogy

I installed the the main original Ivory 1.5 content (before the Stand alone was available) on a different drive(F) and that all works fine.

Any help would be appreciated

regards

john studio64

sporter
01-11-2007, 09:50 AM
sporter, thanks for replying.

Can you just confirm where you have your "Ivory" standalone folder and "VSTPlugins" standalone folder.

My Above Standalone files are in C/Program Files/Synthogy

This is where my standalone is, also. I just accepted the default when I ran the 1.6 exe, but I put the vst dll where the old one was: P/Program Files/Steinberg/vst plugins. (I have multiple drives on this machine). I too had a previous installation. I'm kind of scattered out now, but it all seems to work fine.

If you have a third party sound card and onboard sound, you might try diabling the onboard sound in the bios. Sometimes onboard sound drivers and ASIO drivers do not get along.

Also, I've had problems with anti-virus, anti spyware apps. Have you tried turning them all off?

Have you tried booting up in safe mode?

Have you checked hard disk space on your "C" drive? I've had apps do this when the hard disk was close to capacity.

Have you tried, after getting the hourglass, leaving the machine overnight and let it run? Sometimes drivers go through some kind of extended intialization..at least it has happened to me...

And of course, make sure you have all the latest drivers for your system...

studio64
01-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi sporter

My DAW is a very clean, 3 large hard drives , 2 gig memory. etc

I only have top spec software installed Cubase 4 Wavelab 6, Kontakt 2 etc
and never had any problems.

I can load the samles/programs into Ivory standalone, it behaves as you would expect until I try to select the midi or sound device.

I do actually leave the hour glass longer and longer, just in case, as you say, its going through a long check.

Thanks anyway.

John studio64

runamuck
01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Here's a thought. Could it be that Ivory, in standalone, gets hung up trying to access audio ports that you've assigned to Cubase?

Jim

studio64
01-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Here's a thought. Could it be that Ivory, in standalone, gets hung up trying to access audio ports that you've assigned to Cubase?

Jim

Hi Jim

It even hangs after selecting just the Midi Device/Midex8.

Also when I try to select the Delta ASIO driver.

In fact I have just tried it again, and it's locked up after going into the metronome menu

Very strange

runamuck
01-12-2007, 01:54 AM
All these variables can drive you nuts, can't they.

I would try opening up Cubase first and unselect all MIDI and audio ports,
then restart the computer before opening up Ivory.

What audio card are you using? Does it have more than 2 ins and outs? Do you have the latest drivers?

Jim

studio64
01-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Hi Jim

I am using two M-Audio Delta 1010lt cards, I wondered if this was confusing Ivory.

I shall give your idea a go, later in the day.

The very first time I ran Standalone Ivory, I played a few notes, before making any selections in the set up.
It did actually play, but with massive latency, then I set up midi and audio in the Ivory menus, and it's not worked since.

Luckily I can still use it in Cubase 4

regards
john-studio64

setchman
01-20-2007, 09:48 PM
John,

I had this exact same problem, even emailed tech support at Synthogy and, as helpful as they tried to be, they couldn't figure it out. I have Ivory installed on 2 partitions on the same computer and the standalone mode would not work on either partition.

I can't remember what prompted me to do this but I started up one of the partitions in "Safe" mode, shut it down and rebooted back into the normal mode and the problem was gone. When I tried the exact same thing on the second partition, it fixed the problem, once again.

I emailed tech support back with my solution and received a polite response but not an explanation as to why this may have rectified the problem. I was just glad the fix was so simple, for a change. Hopefully, it will work for you too.

By the way, I have a Delta 1010. Maybe it's a glitch in the drivers are maybe it's just a coincidence.

studio64
01-21-2007, 04:34 AM
Hi setchman

Just tried your "safemode" trick, but did not cure my problem.

I did email Synthogy on the first day of Standalone installation.

They replied, but with no ideas, and said they would pass the details to the programmers.

Heard nothing since, but hopefully the next update will fix it.

regards

setchman
01-21-2007, 04:51 PM
John,

I'm just curious. Did you try to test the stand-alone program while your computer was in safe mode? I'd be curious to see what happens if you tried. I never tried to make any changes within the program while in safe-mode since it seemed to fix itself just by going back an forth.

The reason I persist is that it seems to me the conflict, at least in my case, was something in the OS that the stand-alone executable didn't like only while it was trying to make a changes to one of the audio devices . While I was troubleshooting my own problem, I installed Ivory on 2 other computers I own (a laptop and another desktop my wife uses) and the stand-alone app worked without a problem.

I guess I'd be curious to know if you can make any changes to the preferences while in a clean, "safe-mode" environment.

Eric

+++ UPDATE +++

I just got the same error again. Standby...

studio64
01-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi setchman

No I didn't try to start Ivory in"safemode"

To be honest, every other music program/vsti is running fine on my main DAW, so I usually go for the "leave well alone"

I do actually have the standalone version, with just the yamaha samples installed, running ok on my internet computer. On this computer, I let it install the default settings, but on my main DAW/non working computer, I chose a different folder.

On another matter, (see other thread)I am just trying to install the Truepiano Demo, but it keeps telling me I have a trojan file when I run the set-up.
Truepiano do give a warning about it, on the demo page, but my Anti virus software(F-Secure) gives out a major warning.
Watch the TruePiano video it sounds impressive.

Your update? Are you getting the same Ivory problem again?

regards

(my update) I now have the Truepiano working

setchman
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Yep, the exact same problem happened to me again. Just for grins I changed the Audio Device to one of the MME selections and that back to an ASIO one the the program locked up, requiring a hard reset to clear things up.

I did forget to mention in my first post that while I was in safe-mode I started the stand-alone app and selected the ASIO driver. I did get a few warning messages about the demo having expired and, although the M-Audio ASIO selection showed up, when I selected it, the program wouldn't actually save it since I was in safe-mode. But when I rebooted back to normal, I reselected the M-Audio ASIO device and it saved it without a problem.

I've been trying to recreate the fault again by going back and forth between devices but, of course, now I can't get it to break. Oh well, I guess I'll leave it to the experts to figure out.

I, too, have been following the hoopla surrounding TruePianos. I've been playing with the demo for the past couple of days and am impressed, as well. I will certainly be keeping my eye on this one.

Good luck.

electone2007
01-21-2007, 10:51 PM
I had same problem. What I did was to launch the Ivory Standalone from the command line with the /noaudio switch. Instructions on this on page 5 of the accompanying pdf manual.

BEFORE loading any presets, I go to the MIDI and AUDIO setup and configure accordingly. THEN, I load the presets.

Succeeding launches worked fine. Try it.

studio64
01-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi electone

Thanks for your input.

I have thought about trying the command line idea, but I am not that confident in that area.

When I open the cmd.exe, there is already a line C:\ Documents and Settings\owner>

Do I leave that line in place and then type the \no audio line etc underneath or what?

A guide through the process would be appreciated

regards

electone2007
01-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Quote: When I open the cmd.exe, there is already a line C:\ Documents and Settings\owner>

Ok, you got that far. Now 1) type the following line (without the quotes) after owner>: "cd c:\program files\synthogy\ivory" then press ENTER

2) Then type the following: "ivorypchost /noaudio" then press ENTER

Ivory will launch. BEFORE loading presets, setup Audio and MIDI.

After I did this, I did not have to go through the cmd.exe to launch Ivory. It launches now without any problem.

studio64
01-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi electone2207

Thanks for your guidence

It worked, I am so happy.

I hope Eric/setchman is watching

regards

john

setchman
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip, electone2207.

Although things are working fine for me now, I will remember your suggestion if and when I have problems again.

Eric

aburge
03-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Just want to thank you so much for this information

I had the exact same hang-up with standalone ivory on PC - you couldnt even close it - had to reboot the PC

I had totally given up with it

Today when I searched again I found this thread the command line option has made it work !

Im dead chuffed.

Thanks people

Alan

studio64
03-24-2007, 12:21 PM
What did we do before internet?