PDA

View Full Version : STEINWAY & SONS ANNOUNCES NEW SOFTWARE PIANO VENTURE WITH GARRITAN

Garritan
01-19-2006, 12:51 AM
STEINWAY & SONS ANNOUNCES NEW
SOFTWARE PIANO VENTURE WITH GARRITAN

NAMM Convention, Anaheim, CA (January 19, 2006) — Steinway & Sons, maker of the world's finest pianos, and Garritan, makers of the world's finest music soundware, announce a new venture to create a series of Authorized Steinway Piano sample-based software instruments.

The Authorized Steinway Piano sample library is a new sample-based software instrument that accurately captures the sound of a Steinway & Sons concert grand piano. This new software instrument will allow the musician to play a virtual Steinway Model D concert piano with unprecedented authenticity and musicality. The library will offer more than seven different listening perspectives, including a player perspective from the bench, a classical recording perspective, an under the lid perspective, and a 5.1 surround sound hall perspective.

"This was a very important project for Steinway & Sons”, states Gary Green, Vice President of Business Development and Customer Satisfaction. “We have long recognized the need for a Steinway sampled sound set that would best reflect the complex architectures of the Steinway sound. We also understand the importance of quality samples and their use by amateur music enthusiasts, as well as, prominent producers, composers, recording studios and other venues. We were extremely lucky to have Gary Garritan work with us on this technically and musically complex project. Although both Steinway & Sons and Gary Garritan recognize that nothing can replace the actual Steinway piano, we are extremely delighted that there is now a sampling product that comes closest to capturing the distinctive Steinway sound that we are proud to endorse."

"Steinway pianos have set the bar of excellence in pianos," said Gary Garritan. "Our goal is to develop with Steinway & Sons the highest quality piano sample library ever produced, one that will once again set the standard in quality and innovation.”

At the heart of the Authorized Steinway Piano sample library will be the sound of the instrument. To realize the full, rich essence of a Steinway piano, extreme care was taken in the recording process. The Steinway concert grand piano that was recorded is one of Steinway's finest Model D pianos, newly voiced, regulated, and tuned by an expert technician. The perfect instrument was hand-picked by Steinway & Sons and delivered to the concert hall for recording. The site for the recording was also selected by Steinway, and the choice was clear.

Not many are aware that one of the greatest concert halls in the world is located in downtown Troy, New York. The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall is a National Treasure and is world-renowned for its acoustics, particularly for piano performances. Designed by George Brown Post, and opened in 1875, the 1,250 seat Troy Savings Bank Music Hall has hosted many of the world’s finest pianists including Steinway artists: Sergei Rachmaninoff, Vladimir Horowitz, Ignacy Jan Paderewski, Myra Hess, and Artur Rubenstein, among many others. The wonderfully strong, rich and clear sound of this concert hall is unparalleled.

Steinway & Sons provided one of their best concert technicians for the recording sessions. Eric Shandall, Administrator of Technical Training, attended all the sessions monitoring each note to ensure the best possible sound from the instrument. Eric Shandall has traveled extensively giving classes for technicians, and tuning for concerts by Steinway artists such as Evgeny Kissin and others. Classical recording engineer Brian C. Peters was in charge of recording. Peters brings over 18 years of classical recording experience – including over 400 records for the award-winning audiophile record label Dorian Records.

Expected release is the Spring of 2006.

About Steinway & Sons

Steinway & Sons, headquartered in New York, produces the world's finest pianos. Steinway pianos are sold by nearly 200 authorized dealers worldwide. The company's corporate parent is Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc., which also owns Conn-Selmer, the nation's leading manufacturer of orchestra and band instruments. Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc. is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LVB for Ludwig van Beethoven. Steinway & Sons was founded on March 5, 1853 by German immigrant Henry Engelhard Steinway and his sons in New York City, one of the major centers of the piano-making industry in North America at that time. Henry, a master piano-maker, built his first piano in the kitchen of his home in Germany. Over the next forty years, Henry and his sons developed the modern piano, patenting the most significant technologies in the piano industry.

About Garritan Libraries

Garritan is a leader and innovator of sample libraries and soundware. Garritan has received many industry awards and accolades in the music press and among professional musicians. Garritan libraries are required for classes in leading music colleges and are the first sample libraries that integrate with popular notation programs, such as Finale and Sibelius. Garritan sound libraries are known the world over for quality and are an indispensable staple in many film, television and interactive productions, as well as live performances.

etLux
01-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Bravo!

David
www.DavidSosnowski.com
-

DPDAN
01-19-2006, 01:15 AM
I can't wait to get a piano that is tuned perfectly.

Awesome Gary!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Dan :)

Drumroll
01-19-2006, 01:19 AM
WOW!!! Congratulations Gary!

etLux
01-19-2006, 01:39 AM

I'm not sure I could play one if it was.

SeanHannifin
01-19-2006, 01:46 AM
:eek: THAT'S AWESOME!!

My sincere congratulations, Mr. Garritan! :) This sounds like a very promising venture! I look forward to it!

DPDAN
01-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Let me rephrase that... I can't wait to get a piano that does not have any tuning issues with any of the 88 keys. They all need to be in tune.

:)
pickydeepeedan

steve martin
01-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Wow! This is fantastic news!
Can't wait to hear the demo's!

cptexas
01-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Oh geez, and right after I got Piano Magic for the PMI group buy. :D (OK, not RIGHT after, but perty darn close)

Congrats, Gary!!
This is fantastic news!!
Can't wait!! (once again *drool*)

-Chris

Styxx
01-19-2006, 07:58 AM
The best just keeps getting better! Congratulations Gary and Steinway & Son's !
What next Gary, the Hammond B3? ;)

Author's note: This article should not be construed as legal advice or as pertaining to specific factual situations.

trentpmcd
01-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Great News! Congrats for getting such a great gig - the official Steinway sample set - wow!

efiebke
01-19-2006, 08:21 AM
First thing is first:

Congratulations! :D

Second thing. . .

Not many are aware that one of the greatest concert halls in the world is located in downtown Troy, New York. The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall is a National Treasure and is world-renowned for its acoustics, particularly for piano performances. Designed by George Brown Post, and opened in 1875, the 1,250 seat Troy Savings Bank Music Hall has hosted many of the world’s finest pianists including Steinway artists: Sergei Rachmaninoff, Vladimir Horowitz, Ignacy Jan Paderewski, Myra Hess, and Artur Rubenstein, among many others. The wonderfully strong, rich and clear sound of this concert hall is unparalleled.

I'm quite aware of the the acoustics to the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall! Been there a few times in my youth (many moons ago). And, it's about 20 miles from where I live. :D

In all honesty, I haven't been there in a long time. Didn't even know it was still open for concerts. :o And it is very cool to know that this piano library was recorded there (if I understand this announcement correctly).

Cheers! :)

Ted

LouisD
01-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Mes félicitations! This is great news, and certainly something that I would have expected from two such remarkable companies!!:)

RichR
01-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Congratulations!

Super!

Hooray for You and Great for us (the users)!

Skysaw
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
The Garritan Revolution marches on!

The composers of the world are forever in your debt. Keep the ideas and products rolling out, Gary & co!

danpowers
01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Congratulations! Can't wait to find out more.

(Maybe I should consider this for my Piano Concerto project. I'd bet it would blend nicely with GPOA.)

sergiobklyn
01-19-2006, 10:46 AM
That's great news. And I was about to buy Ivory or Akoustik Piano.
Now a question that'll be popping up all the time: Is it out yet? :)

Markleford
01-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Damn, sounds like sessions are in the can. Otherwise, I'd be demanding: PREPARED PIANO! :D

Kudos, Gary.

- m

cptexas
01-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Gary, was this the 'secret project' you mentioned a while ago?

just curious, :)
-Chris

Karl Garrett
01-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Gary,

Add my congrats to all the others here. So many toys, so little time. I'm just now beginning to get acquainted with JABB and I haven't even started with the Strad. Oh my, what are those pills they are giving to our troops in Iraq to keep them up for days? :D

Karl

Fabio
01-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Sounds good...:D

synthnut
01-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Gary,
WOW !!.....CONGRAT'S .....This is truely deserved !!.....I applaud you ! Sincerely, Jim

88fingers
01-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Let me rephrase that... I can't wait to get a piano that does not have any tuning issues with any of the 88 keys. They all need to be in tune.

:)
pickydeepeedan

Did I hear someone say 88?

Congrats Gary. This sounds so exciting!

tcohen
01-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Just when I thought that I had enough in the bank for GPOA - now - another part-time job!

Congratulations on this perfect match of excellence.

Regards,

Tim

kurzman
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
I am interested in the approach they take on this. Because Gary has always pushed for the notion that "bigger isn't always better" when it comes to the size of libraries. Ivory is huge! But it is because of all the subtle things you can get with it. And it has two perspectives (audience and player). So, my guess would be that this ends up being a BIG library since I imagine Steinway isn't going to want to put their name on something that doesn't sound just like you sat in front of the piano. Ivory is super great. So the only thing I can see them doing is just making more options and more samples (thus bigger library). I'll be surprised if it is not bigger than the Stradavari library.

squoze
01-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Any chance this will include the effects of the resonance of the strings and soundboard when the damper pedal is pressed (damper resonance?)?
Does any software do that now?

Styxx
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
"isn't always" is the key phrase here. I would agree that the library would be bigger that SSV when thinking of all the considerations implicated. In support, Mr. Garritan never emphatically stated that BIGGER libraries ARE NOT better. On the contrary, I've heard Gary speak highly of "bigger" libraries. His expressions I believe are in support for those who might not meet the expense of such elaborate libraries thus, “Bigger isn't always better!” Regardless of the size, anyone who has experienced the virtuosity of Garritan products will find himself or herself standing in a long line to purchase his new developments.

Author's note: This article should not be construed as legal advice or as pertaining to specific factual situations.

Scott McCallister
01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
There is an inexpensive library that does this. Have a look at http://www.ksounds.com (http://www.ksounds.com/) I recently picked up their Piano 2 (the Triton Version for my T-Extreme) that does this. Go have a listen. They have lots of demo snippets. He only had a Kawai Piano to deal with though. I personally don't mind the sound of a nice Kawai, I find it sometimes gives a more "accessible" quality to the music than the pristine sounds of a Steinway would.

It is certainly not the end all be all of all piano solutions, but for live applications, I now have a really decent piano with string resonance without having to haul a computer, etc, ad nauseum to a gig.

He is currently on the path of creating the libraries to work on established platforms on the hardware side. So if you have a keyboard or synth module that these can be loaded into, you are good to go. I asked if he was going to do a Steinway or Bosendorfer, and he said his is developing that now for gigastudio...

Which from what I understand comes bundled with a piano library that has a respectable set of samples (something like 3.2GB) with both pedal up and pedal down, so if each note is individually sampled with the pedal down, you should get all that additive and subtractive ambiance from the string resonance when notes are played together (or solo for that matter).

I'd be interested to know if the Garritan/Steinway project will try to model the hall this was recorded in as a discrete reverb unit that could be applied to other sounds as well?

Groove
01-20-2006, 12:45 PM
This is great news! I hope it comes out soon so I can start using it! Great piano has always been one of my goals and even had been considering lately of buying a Yamaha C7 Disklavier....

Will this be offered as an Instrument Plugin?

Congrats on this new product, Gary! I'm sure it will do super well!!!

rwayland
01-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, I was really holding out for the organ libraries. Now it looks like I will have to get both and blow the stuffings out of my budget!

Richard

MarkOne
02-16-2006, 05:37 AM
I don't think anyone has touched on this yet...

... so I will, since I will need to get the capital asset request approved by powers that be (AKA: My wife :D !!)

Is there a target price?:eek:

I'm looking forward to the spring!!!

newmewzikboy
02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Jesus! How did this come together? This is WILD...

Well, at least it keeps Gary off the streets and calling me every five minutes...
:D

sergiobklyn
02-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Is it spring yet?

etLux
02-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Is it spring yet?
In which hemisphere?

GDG
02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Damn, sounds like sessions are in the can. Otherwise, I'd be demanding: PREPARED PIANO! :D

- m

Actually, you can just tape a few washers to the DVDROM when you load the program ;)

For really special effects, use a flat refrigerator magnet :eek:

Grant

Garritan
02-26-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't think anyone has touched on this yet...

... so I will, since I will need to get the capital asset request approved by powers that be (AKA: My wife :D !!)You wife will like that it is less than the cost of a Steinway Model D. She may then like it so much that she'll but you a genuine Steinway piano :)

Is there a target price?:eek: There will be different target prices depending on the level.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to the spring!!!Me too! Spring fever! :D

Garritan
02-26-2006, 01:34 AM
In which hemisphere?The left hemisphere :D

Garritan
02-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Jesus! How did this come together? This is WILD...

Well, at least it keeps Gary off the streets and calling me every five minutes...
:DI'll be back on the streets soon enough and eager to call newmusikboy again on the partyline ;)

etLux
02-26-2006, 01:55 AM
The left hemisphere :D
Aw geez... lol.

Hermitage59
02-28-2006, 05:59 AM
The left hemisphere :D

Or if you're a bit quicker, the....

left semihemisphere.

:D

daerp@mac.com
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
FANTASTIC NEWS. Congratulations, Gary. Can't wait to get my hands on this! The Steinway "D" is my piano of choice!!!

Paul

rwayland
03-17-2006, 08:12 PM

Awesome Gary!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Dan :)
Shall I understand from this that there are tuning problems on the present GPO Steinway?

Well, I am awaiting the announcement of the release date and price, and further awaiting your comments on the piano!!

Richard

Leaf
05-02-2006, 11:33 AM
An under the lid perspective? Is that safe?

Markleford
05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
An under the lid perspective? Is that safe?
Depends on which direction you lay down!

- m

Nickie Fønshauge
05-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Shall I understand from this that there are tuning problems on the present GPO Steinway?

Well, I am awaiting the announcement of the release date and price, and further awaiting your comments on the piano!!

Richard
Yes, it is not as well tuned as f.ex. TBO.

Olivier
05-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I've now a good knowledge in KSP script and overtones simulation of Steinway's

I can help you to program the most real overtones simulation for your project.

Best,

Olivier

Garritan
05-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi,

I've now a good knowledge in KSP script and overtones simulation of Steinway's

I can help you to program the most real overtones simulation for your project.

Best,

OlivierOlivier,
Thanks for the offer. We can discuss this privately. Please PM me your email address.

Gary Garritan

David Ferris
07-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Hoping for a completely authentic set of una corda samples which can be loaded at the user's discretion.

etLux
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Gosh, I do hope you can lock the wheels on this one...

David
www.DavidSosnowski.com

Johannes
07-28-2006, 07:21 AM
When...? :oSome mp3s just to stay tuned? :rolleyes:

JohnGrant
08-10-2006, 02:32 PM
When...? :oSome mp3s just to stay tuned? :rolleyes:
Let me second that idea.

JG

Endorf
08-16-2006, 05:10 AM
hello,
we only need mp3-demo, some technical details and a release date...:-))

greetings, endorf

dickiefunk
09-10-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi. Any new info on the Steinway VSTI? Approx release date or general info?

Endorf
10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
@ Garry Garritan: Maybe you could announce, when you plan to announce some details or publish mp3-demos? So don't have to look at this page and your homepage every day...:-)!

Best,
Endorf

MarkOne
10-10-2006, 06:42 AM
I understand that developments like this seldom run to plan, but Spring turned to Summer, Summer turned to Autumn (That's fall you guys over the pond ;) ) and I guess winter is just around the corner...

But looks like the steinway possibly isn't :(

Just some kind of hint would be nice.

MP3 demos nicer

Still, maybe the delay will be to allow us all to save up. :wow:

Nickie Fønshauge
10-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Still, maybe the delay will be to allow us all to save up. :wow:
X-Mas is approaching ;)

JohnGrant
11-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Yes, Christmas is coming, but with nothing to show for it!

JG

http://webjay.org/by/exposedfifths/welltempered-johnlewisgrant

Jake Johnson
11-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I really want to hear how this will sound. A close perpective? Good for songwriting, or a with a more classical sound?

Do we even know if this will be a Kontakt\Giga thing or if it will be a VSTI?

JohnGrant
11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I really want to hear how this will sound. A close perpective? Good for songwriting, or a with a more classical sound?

Do we even know if this will be a Kontakt\Giga thing or if it will be a VSTI?

I do too. But it appears that this enterprise is dead in the water.

JG
http://webjay.org/by/exposedfifths/welltempered-johnlewisgrant

DPDAN
11-14-2006, 02:55 PM
The Steinway Grand is not dead in the water,
it is in development.
As soon as some MP3 demos are possible, they will be posted by Gary,
you can take that to the bank :)
It will be cool, no I have not heard it yet :D
Dan

ZareOne
11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't think this project is dead, but excelence takes time. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49105

it says:

"Pollata Viola, Amati Bass (solo string quartet), GOS2, The Authorized Steinway Piano ...These will hopefully be available early in the new year. Hopefully most, if not all, by NAMM. We may have some surprises at NAMM as well."

Greetings.

ZareOne
11-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Dan has beaten me for 2 minutes. :)

Anyway, better two replies than no one.

Andrea Maria Ottavin
11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone,

I wonder if we can play Steinway & sons piano with notation programs like Finale. Anyone can answer?

Olivier
09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
any news ?

David Ferris
09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
IMO, NI does a wonderful job of developing products which people want to buy. They are not as good at de-bugging, and sampled pianos are not a priority. Witness the long thread that you participated in re Akoustic on NI's forum.

The "good news" is that Gary Garritan won't release his Steinway until NI gets their end right;-)

tfishbein82
09-14-2007, 01:11 PM
The "good news" is that Gary Garritan won't release his Steinway until NI gets their end right;-)
Actually, this product is not dependent on any NI technology. This will be released on Gary's new player.

David Ferris
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, but I think I saw a post from Gary G. re the Steinway being sent back to NI because of problems with their installer.