PDA

View Full Version : Low Memory

Reuben
07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
I am getting a low memory alert. I can only add 5 saxes, 4 trumpets, and 2 trombones. Anything added after that will produce a low memory alert. I also get the low memory alert when I add the Steinway piano alone with no other instrument. I am using Finale 2006C and have 1.25 Gig of RAM. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-fi with ASIO drivers with 50 Gig of HD remaining.

I reloaded JABB today and still get the Low Memory alert. Suggestions? Reuben.

Nickie Fønshauge
07-08-2006, 11:56 AM
In the Kontakt Player's Options try and toggle "lock memory (no swap)". It might help.

Reuben
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
The toggle seems to have worked and I was able to load all 17 instruments without a low memory alert. However, all instruments do not sound. Only the first Kontakt player works even though I tweeked the mod wheel and they work fine in the setup but do not when I play the arrangement (Finale 2006c). I tried to put the instruments at the same VST value 1- alto etc. Question: The VST setup shows 16 channels for each player but you can only have 8 instruments per player. If I am trying to get the Finale channel numbers the same, I don't know how to make that happen if the set up shows that player 1 uses channels 1-16. Thanks for the help. Reuben.

Jeff Turner
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
You can only use the full 16 channels if you have the full verion of Kontakt. If you're using the standard Kontakt player, load the first 8 instruments into channels 1-8, the next group will get loaded into the 8 slots in the second player which is channels 17-24, then 8 slots in the third player channels 33-40, etc.

Jeff

Reuben
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
That is exactly how I loaded the 17 instruments. Still, only the first Kontakt player works when I play the arrangement and I did turn the mod wheel for each instrument. on the first player I have 5 saxes and three trumpets. That's all that will play. At least I getting something now. Thanks, Reuben.

levrard
08-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if you have solved your problem with the only 8 first channels wich sound? It seems to me i have the problem and I don't succed in solve it.

Thank you for your help.

Eric

Nickie Fønshauge
08-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Here are a couple of formulas, that link Finale's staff channel numbers (as seen in the Instrument List) with the Kontakt Player's channel numbers:

"Staff channel" = ("Player #" - 1) * 16 + "Player channel"

or

"Player channel" = "Staff channel" - ("Player #" - 1) * 16

Reuben
08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
I found that by going to the Kontact player and clicking on the Options menu you have several items to enable or disable. The one that I disabled "Lock Memory (No Swap)" fixed the problem for me. I also have Finale 6 and when I use that score setup it helps too. Reuben.

Samantha Penigar
11-07-2006, 03:10 AM
I am getting a low memory alert. I can only add 5 saxes, 4 trumpets, and 2 trombones. Anything added after that will produce a low memory alert. I also get the low memory alert when I add the Steinway piano alone with no other instrument. I am using Finale 2006C and have 1.25 Gig of RAM. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-fi with ASIO drivers with 50 Gig of HD remaining.

I reloaded JABB today and still get the Low Memory alert. Suggestions? Reuben.

I have also had this problem of the low memory warning. I have 2GB of RAM. I even contacted my computer manufacturer and with the heop of tech support increased the virtual memeory to try to eliminate this problem. Nothing seemed to work. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (SEE NEXT POST)

Samantha Penigar
11-07-2006, 03:19 AM
I found that by going to the Kontact player and clicking on the Options menu you have several items to enable or disable. The one that I disabled "Lock Memory (No Swap)" fixed the problem for me. I also have Finale 6 and when I use that score setup it helps too. Reuben.

I just went to the Kontakt player and Options and disabled the "Lock Memory (No Swap)" and voila the low memory warning did not come when I loaded a file that has full orchestra plus full Steinway piano and Celesta.

Thanks Ruben for not being afraid to expierment. This was a real problem for me. I was about to spend $200 to purchase and additional gig of RAM. You save the day. I think! I hope!. I pray! For now it seemed to work when I opened the file. EUREKA I just tried another problematical file and there was no low memary Warning.

Samantha Penigar
11-07-2006, 03:23 AM
Here are a couple of formulas, that link Finale's staff channel numbers (as seen in the Instrument List) with the Kontakt Player's channel numbers:

Nickie this seems to be programming language. I am deathly afraid of doing anything like this. What will this do for us.

Nickie you are very helpful with your input. I hope you can assist me on this new issue.

How do I set up the GPO/Kontakt player to maintain the volume settings that I oritionally set when I first opened the file. Each time I open the file I have to go to the Kontakt player and raise the volume level for each instrument. I have tried to save the file immediately after setting the volume but nothing seems to work. Please help.

Haydn
11-07-2006, 12:02 PM
The "Lock Memory" option was added to Kontakt to stop samples from being loaded into virtual memory. I used to have this issue back when GPO first came out where Kontakt would swap out sounds to the hard drive. Then you would get stuttering sounds on playback. Usually with 2 GB of memory this is not a problem.

Another problem besides the low memory warning with the "Lock Memory" option is that load time is considerably slower. You should notice much quicker load times (up to 5x faster) without the option enabled.

Jim

chordspinner
11-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Why, oh, why isn't there any mention made of this in ANY of the manuals?.....I've looked and looked. Am I just in the wrong place? HELP!

Bob De Celle
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
In the Kontakt Player's Options try and toggle "lock memory (no swap)". It might help.

Thank you for the umpteenth time. I was going slightly bananas.
I was trying to figure out virtual memory, but now I don't have to. Thank God!