PDA

View Full Version : Loading older finale files into JABB

Reuben
06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
How can I load older Finale (2006c) files in Jazz and Big Band?

Jeff Turner
06-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure I understand your question. You don't actually load Finale files into JABB. You choose NI as your playback device in Finale, then assign instruments in JABB to coincide with your midi channel setup in your Finale file.

If you haven't done so already, there's a PDF file in the Finale user manual folder called GPOHP Tutorial Supplement. Even though it's information is directed at GPO not JABB, the same basic principles will apply. You'll learn a lot by reading it.

Jeff

Reuben
06-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Jeff, I did read the PDF. When I try to use the setup to add the JABB to an arrangement I have the following problem. It will load the sax section (5 horns) then trumpets (4 horns) then trombones (4 horns) fine. When I try to add anything additional I get a low memory warning and only the saxes will play. I have 1.25 gig of RAM and virtual memory at a max. Any ideas about this? Reuben.

Jeff Turner
06-10-2006, 01:51 PM
In the GPOHP tutorial I mentioned, read the section on "performance tips"

JABB does require a fast cpu and lots of RAM. Try using the "lite" instruments where possible and/or reduce the polyphony. If you're using the Ambience reverb, lower the "quality cpu" and the "wet" parameters.

If this doesn't help, try using Garritan Studio as the interface that you load the instruments in. Use Finale's midi setup and choose Garritan STudio for the appropriate midi output. And in the preferences in Garritan Studio, lower the sample rate from 44k to 22k for instance.

There's little tricks to work around a slower cpu and not enough ram, just experiment until you find out what works for you.

JT