PDA

View Full Version : GVI ... when ?

Drew Buchan
05-15-2006, 06:04 AM
Hi

When will GVI be upon us?
Gigastudio crashed on my system big-time again at the weekend, and I am now loath to re-install and go through the hassle of re-registering it.

Will the iMidi rules be updated, opened up for end user development ? (Not in the limited way they are at the moment).

Thanks

Gamera
05-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Why do you have to re-register it? Didn't you back up the registration?

- G

Drew Buchan
05-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Yes, but every so often, after one of these crashes the system says the registration details are no longer valid, and I have to go through the process of contacting Tascam.

sporter
05-17-2006, 08:58 AM
The backup registration has never once worked for me.

geronimo001
05-17-2006, 10:43 AM
The backup registration has never once worked for me.

Same here.

fizbin
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
It's worked for me whenever I've needed it - probably 2 or 3 times maybe, but not for awhile now.

Drew Buchan
05-17-2006, 12:53 PM
...... exactly. GS3 is probably the cause of 99% of crashes, and 100% of complete system corruptions on my system. I'm fed up to back teeth of re-building my system, and/or re-registering. Since completely un-installing it, no problems. "Netspy" seems to the big problem child ... which is GS file.

Hence my eagerness to side-grade to the GVI.

Anyone heard any rumours of due date?

JonFairhurst
05-17-2006, 02:04 PM
At NAB I heard that they are in Beta. Assuming that things go well, we could hear an announcement any time. If they find some showstoppers, we'll have to wait a bit.

I don't know their status, but from this discussion, I assume that people would rather have it be solid than quick. I figure that we'd prefer to install it once and make music with it, rather than install it immediately and spend time fighting bugs.

I'm not beta testing, so I don't know how close it is to being ready.

Let's wish the developers the best.

sorsak
05-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Drew, the stability of GS file monitoring does seem to be system specific from my experience. I would highly recommend disabling file monitoring after you install. You can find this setting on the Quicksound tab of the GigaStudio Settings.

Once you disable file monitoring, rebuild your entire database. Without file monitoring, it will be necessary to rebuild your database manually on a regular basis to keep Quicksound up to date... Of course this is a compromise but it sure beats reinstalling!

:n: Hopefully this will do the trick.

TobyBrez
05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi

Thanks

Also, has any cross grade pricing been published?

Thanks,
Toby

Will Loconto
05-26-2006, 11:28 AM
From http://www.tascamgiga.com/pricing.html

GS3 Orchestra to GVI $50
GS3 Ensemble to GVI $100
GS3 Solo to GVI $150
GigaSampler or GigaStudio 2.X to GVI $249

TobyBrez
05-26-2006, 12:19 PM
From http://www.tascamgiga.com/pricing.html

GS3 Orchestra to GVI $50
GS3 Ensemble to GVI $100
GS3 Solo to GVI $150
GigaSampler or GigaStudio 2.X to GVI $249

Thanks a lot Will, don't know how I missed the pricing page. These prices seem pretty darn good.

I sure hope v1.0 is solid. I'm going to assume a lot of Giga users will be switching to GVI if only for the sake of convenience. I know I will.

Thanks,
Toby

MarkG
06-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi

It looks like GVI for PC is available from Sweetwater (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GigaVI/) and audioMIDI (http://www.audiomidi.com/GVI---Giga-Virtual-Instrument-P7623.aspx).

I have some questions regarding GVI:

Has anybody tried it?
When will the Mac version be available?
If I buy the PC version crossgrade now, will I be able to get the Mac version for free when it's released?

Thanks,
Mark

fizbin
06-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the info, but I'll believe it when someone says they have box in hand. I'm waiting eagerly for this is well.

Best,
Jay

JonFairhurst
06-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Those companies may be taking preorders. I don't think GVI is out yet. Should be soon though...

Infinite5ths
06-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Whenever it DOES come out, I hope they release the VSTi version via online instant (email) delivery. For those of us who already own a version of GS and/or have large sample libraries, that would be a great help. It's pretty easy to convert other libraries to Giga format with one of the conversion progs; and you really need to buy extra libraries to augment what comes with Giga anyway. So why not offer a version with JUST the VSTi engine? Online delivery is a very cost-effective and easy way to do that world-wide. [I don't think it would be so great if the samples had to be downloaded too. The 'net is still a bit too slow and expensive for that...]

Bennett
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Any July news on GVI?

belbin
07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Whenever it DOES come out, I hope they release the VSTi version via online instant (email) delivery. For those of us who already own a version of GS and/or have large sample libraries, that would be a great help. It's pretty easy to convert other libraries to Giga format with one of the conversion progs; and you really need to buy extra libraries to augment what comes with Giga anyway. So why not offer a version with JUST the VSTi engine? Online delivery is a very cost-effective and easy way to do that world-wide. [I don't think it would be so great if the samples had to be downloaded too. The 'net is still a bit too slow and expensive for that...]

Sorry, Infinite5ths, but are you saying that there are samples included with GVI?? I must've missed that....can you clarify, please?

Belbin

Infinite5ths
07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I assume there will be something included with the VSTi. Every Giga product to date has had some library/sounds included, right? It would be a little strange to sell a VSTi that can't make a sound without something being added. ;)

Frankly, I don't know anything about what's supposed to be included with GVI. All I know is the announced GVI release date is long gone.... I hope that's a good sign. :cool:

JonFairhurst
07-06-2006, 04:15 PM
...I hope that's a good sign. :cool:I think it's a sign that the engineers are solving the remaining bugs, rather than the musicians. As it should be.

I hope the remaining fixes go smoothly. It's relatively easy to schedule software development, and relatively impossible to schedule how long it will take to solve bugs.

Like the thread about obvious patents, the solution to a given bug is always obvious - after it's been solved!

Send good thoughts to the engineers during the day - a pizza during the night!

Infinite5ths
07-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I hope you're right. It would be REALLY nice if GVI doesn't need 6 mo. worth of patching and fixes to work correctly. :cool:

JonFairhurst
07-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I hope you're right. It would be REALLY nice if GVI doesn't need 6 mo. worth of patching and fixes to work correctly. :cool:Nobody understands this better than Tascam. At NAB, they definitely communicated that top quality is a critical goal.

If there are problems after delivery, we might have to wait a bit and suffer some crashes, but they would have to spend late nights and weekends working to fix problems, rather than playing with the next round of super cool features.

Nobody is more motivated to deliver quality than the Tascam engineers.

Fortunately, the market wants the code to be "right" rather than "NOW" (unlike the pre-GS3 days). That will help give them the space to deliver rock solid code right out of the chute.

Infinite5ths
07-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Well that sounds promising. I'll take solid code over quick delivery ANY time. ...had enough bad experiences with half-baked software to last a lifetime.

I hope the VSTi parameter automation tools are complete and well documented...

Infinite5ths
07-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I got an email from Tascam this morning that again announces GVI. ...still no purchase links, and GVI hasn't been added to the Register page. But at least it's on the way. :D

MarkG
07-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe they will release it at Summer NAMM (July 14-16)?

Mark

Infinite5ths
07-08-2006, 07:30 PM
That makes sense. I didn't realize NAMM was upon us!

JonFairhurst
07-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Maybe they will release it at Summer NAMM (July 14-16)?

MarkI don't think it's tied to any tradeshow. From what I heard at NAB, it's just a matter of getting the code to pass all of the beta and internal tests, to freeze it and get the discs/packaging made.

I don't think they'll rush anything for a tradeshow - or delay it just to make a tradeshow splash.

Infinite5ths
07-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Did they mention anything at NAB about an online delivery option?

JonFairhurst
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Did they mention anything at NAB about an online delivery option?I didn't ask, so I can't say for sure.

Certainly, they mentioned discs and packaging in the timeline, so I don't think any download will be available before the packaged media is released. Regarding plans for a download version, I have no idea.

It would be cool though. Especially if it offers some way of demo'ing the software before you buy. Giga has a reputation for not working on all machines. If people could download some sort of limited GVI demo and prove that it works on their system, that would remove any worries about a purchase. (And if it doesn't work on their system, it reduces service calls!)

Because GVI will be implemented in the application layer, I expect more universal compatibility. A downloadable demo would help prove the claim to the marketplace.

Infinite5ths
07-10-2006, 06:29 PM
...definitely good points. I've been thinking about several of those (the application layer, compatibility/stability, etc.). I think this is the way software sales are headed anyway. I can even purchase/download 500MB+ sample libraries.....so there is not really a technological problem with delivery.

I think the only thing that would really hold up the trend is: COPY PROTECTION (the age-old wrench in everybody's cogs)

JonFairhurst
07-10-2006, 07:29 PM
There's the Sony Software approach to this: Let people download the software, but ship the media on a disc separately. The media doesn't have any fancy packaging, saving Sony money, and the consumer doesn't have to wait to run the program, or wonder if it will work okay, saving the buyer time and worry.

Infinite5ths
07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes....a very good paradigm. Also, Sony includes a full PDF manual -- so you have the option of reading it online (and using the Acrobat search features) or taking it to any printing shop to get a hard copy.

I like this approach. (I own Vegas & Sound Forge.....so I guess I have a right to an opinion on this one. I did buy both in boxed format, since I found good prices from a local dealer and an eBay seller...but I seriously considered the online versions. Since it was a first go-around for me with Sony and each app is a stand-alone product, I'm happy I got the boxed version. But for a plug-in, I MUCH prefer online delivery. I may also choose the download upgrade versions for Vegas/SF.)

kitekrazy
07-12-2006, 10:53 PM
There's the Sony Software approach to this: Let people download the software, but ship the media on a disc separately. The media doesn't have any fancy packaging, saving Sony money, and the consumer doesn't have to wait to run the program, or wonder if it will work okay, saving the buyer time and worry.

I buy all of Sony's products that way. With Acid Pro 6 they have to send the NI player seperately and that only took 2 days from them.

But products through academic discounts have to be shipped.

Infinite5ths
07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Wow...by the time GVI gets here, I'm gonna be over my excitement about it. ;)

...OK, so not really. And I know that the wait probably indicates some good old fashioned QC/beta work. But it helps to blow off the steam. :p

Alexcremers
08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Any news concerning GVI? All of a sudden, I'm interested in it.

Buzzfunk
08-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Is this thing out yet?