PDA

View Full Version : Items bought in haste ... regretted at leisure

Drew Buchan
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Forgive me for I have sinned against my wallet ...

I've bought a few items over the last few years which I have bought on a whim, or without doing my homework, or because I've just got caught up in group-buy hysteria. Some of them are just not right for the way I work, some of them are poor quality and some I just don't bloody need and will never need.

Some of them might surprise you .. becuase of themselves some are great products.

1. M-Audio Trigger Finger ... it got such great reviews in the music mags ... ahh who can you trust these days? :mad:
2. Yellow Tools Culture ... greats sounds, but I just never use it, and the percussion in my orchestral libraries covers most bases.:eek:
3. EWQL Symphonic Choirs ... I had money burning a hole in my pocket and didn't have the patience to wait for Gold XP, which forced me to wait another year to buy XP.
4. Harbal ... why? :confused:
5. Alta Vista Virtual Grand Piano ... I don't need another piano library :eek:
6. Novation Remote 49 ... the combined mod wheel feels cheap and nasty, and the touch pad isn't an electrostatic device, its a "pressure" pad which you have to press quite hard. :mad:

Just to be balanced here what I still treasure;
1. Gold and Gold Xp
2. Tracktion (especially Final Mix)
3. Art Vista Maljsmo Grand
4. Line 6 Variax Accoustic (POD XT Live)
5. Beyerdynamic DT7500 headphones
6. Samual Adler's book and CDs
+ lots more, but I won't bore you

So what are everyone else worst (& best) purchases?

ZareOne
05-11-2006, 12:56 PM
In the software area, I haven't purchased much things. I own Garritan Personal Orchestra, Kirk Hunter SO Emerald, ProjectSAM brass and percussion, Cubase SL 3 and some VST plugs. I use a lot of free VST FX's and VSTi's (the Crystal synth is a joy!, and Kajerhus classic series too). I also bought the 3 DVD's of percussion samples that Doru Malaia had on his webpage for 30 USD each (for anyone who doesn't know, he passed away :( :mad: :( )

Hardware... I have the basics: and AMD 64 3000+ with 2GB of RAM, 560 GB of harddisk (2 of those in a 400 GB RAID 0 setup for samples), a EMU 1820m audio interface, a Behringer BCR 2000 control surface, a 49 keys Roland MIDI keyboard (very basic one), and a pair of TAPCO S*5 nearfields. I want to replace my MIDI keyboard with a CME UF8, and my monitors with a pair of the gorgeous Event ASP 8.

I'm sometimes a compulsive buyer, but, as I don't have too much money, I have to calm down and buy only what I think I need. I would love to buy lots of sample libraries, lots of MIDI gear, lots of VST's and lots of everything related with music and technology, but then, reallity strikes, and I realize I haven't got any penny.

My best purchase, maybe the EMU interface, I'm in love with it (in the beginning, there was some driver issues, but now it's rock-solid and pristine sounding)

My worst...
Once I bought a HP PDA for €500, and I sold it the next month, because of my guilty conscience (I didn't really need it, it was only a caprice).

My current MIDI Keyborad is a sh*t, the modulation control is the worst thing I've never seen (Roland ED PC 180A) is like a on-off button :mad: .
So, I really understand you. :)

Regards

Drew Buchan
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
yes "compulsive" is the word. Currently I'm feeling "compulsive" about;

- altiverb for windows ... urge is passing slowly. Thank god they didn't release it on time.
- kore ... urge is rapidly dwindling
- perhaps another Vienna Instrument, WWI or Brass II.

though I can barely afford any of them. ~~~~, I think its time I sought professional help.

Or perhaps I should start a self-help "Don't Group Buy". This month we're collectively not going to buy XXXX. If we get upto 50+ users not buying XXXX we'll .... erm ... erm feel good about ourselves and erm ... erm .... the concepts not going to fly is it ? :(

amyhughes
05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
GS3. I built a PC for it. Surely on a dedicated one-task machine Windows won't give me trouble, right? What could go wrong? D'oh!

rikp
05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
GS3. I built a PC for it. Surely on a dedicated one-task machine Windows won't give me trouble, right? What could go wrong? D'oh!

That is sooooo true. I have a dell PC just running GS3 along with my mac g5 which runs EVERYTHING under the sun. Guess which one crashes all the time.....:rolleyes:

Peace

rikp

Journeyman
05-11-2006, 04:13 PM
The last time I listened to a magazine review, I bought Lounge Lizard (Rhodes emulation software) . So much for magazine reviews....:mad:

clonewar
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
That is sooooo true. I have a dell PC just running GS3 along with my mac g5 which runs EVERYTHING under the sun. Guess which one crashes all the time.....:rolleyes:

Peace

rikp

Sorry guys but if you have a dedicated pc running just GS3 and it's crashing a lot then there's something wrong with your pc setup. After the 3.04 update GS3 became one of the most stable programs out there.

Does your Dell pc still have all of the Dell bloatware installed? Also what soundcard are you using?

zvenx
05-11-2006, 05:14 PM
my worst two software purchases, that I kick myself for ever buying are:

1) a program that translates from one sampler format to another, not chickensys one the other one...... I definitely should have bought translator pro...... more features, way better support (mine I get the impression the programmer responds when he is in the mood) :-)

2) my first piano sample library, not because it is bad... but on my machine I have such a hard time getting good polyphony on it........it may very well be my machine and K2......... not the library,.........so I use black grand, TBO, and vintaudio stuff which I get so much mileage from on my computer......although I still love the sound of this first one, I just wish I hadn't bought it.....maybe when I upgrade I will have love for it again....

but my all time worst music purchase was an ART reverb, that I dont' even remember the name, to me it was so horrible, I gave it away and haven't been able to even look at any ART product since.

rsp

Steve_Karl
05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
yes "compulsive" is the word. Currently I'm feeling "compulsive" about;

- altiverb for windows ... urge is passing slowly. Thank god they didn't release it on time.
- kore ... urge is rapidly dwindling
- perhaps another Vienna Instrument, WWI or Brass II.

though I can barely afford any of them. ~~~~, I think its time I sought professional help.

Or perhaps I should start a self-help "Don't Group Buy". This month we're collectively not going to buy XXXX. If we get upto 50+ users not buying XXXX we'll .... erm ... erm feel good about ourselves and erm ... erm .... the concepts not going to fly is it ? :(

We could call it SWA ( sample whores annonomous )

Hi my name is Steve and I'm a sample slut!<G>

mech289
05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
You all have made me feel so good. I thought I was the only one..Need to call my wife in to read all these posts. Maybe she will finally understand. But all honesty, I dont think so..

wes37
05-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Bad:
Gigasampler/Gigastudio (too many crashes)
Steinberg's Producer Pac
Peavey Wolfgang (worst tone of any of the 35+ guitars I've owned)

Best:
Sonar
Amplitube
GPO
Stylus & Atmosphere

Chinablu
05-12-2006, 01:35 AM
My strategy to avoid such regrets is very simple.

I ask myself before buying: "Do I need it?".

Lots of excellent piano libraries came out during last six months. I just bought Ivory and I won't buy Akoustik Piano unless I need a vertical Steingraber (not very probable).

I could consider the new Garritan Steinway but only if it reveals itself as being far more better than Synthogys' and if it runs smoothly on a G4/1.33 PowerBook with 1.5 Gb RAM.

"Money doesn't grow on trees", as my grandma wisely often told me... :)

Worra
05-12-2006, 03:11 AM
Items sold in a haste and very much regretted:

-67 Sunburst Stratocaster
-67 50W Marshall amp with 4x12 cabinett from the same era, both white!
-69 Moto Guzzi V7 motorcycle

:(

PaulR
05-12-2006, 03:45 AM
I think for me it has to be buying a PC.

football
05-12-2006, 04:55 AM
Worst purchase was a Dell (Windows 98) running Giga something or other. What was it called before it was Giga Studio (when Nemesys owned it)>

Not sure what that was about but I spent all my time learning about computers and how to tweak them instead of making music. Horrible.

Chinablu
05-12-2006, 06:25 AM

- in 1999 I sold a Guzzi Falcone Sahara exactly like this (http://www.sosed.it/Autoepoca/moto-falcone.jpg)...

Worra
05-12-2006, 07:43 AM
- in 1999 I sold a Guzzi Falcone Sahara exactly like this (http://www.sosed.it/Autoepoca/moto-falcone.jpg)...

ahhhhgggg...... that's nicer then mine was...

Chinablu
05-12-2006, 09:05 AM
that's nicer then mine was

About in 1984 or so, a Swiss Guzzi dealer saw my Sahara, here in Milan, and asked me to barter it with a brand new Guzzi 850 Le Mans (http://au.geocities.com/jimr_52/Lemansdata.htm).

I refused :)

I had to sell Sahara because it was becoming too expensive to maintain :(

Doug Wellington
05-12-2006, 09:13 AM
I had to sell my Kawasaki ZX-10 in 1989 when I got divorced. I loved that bike... :(

Doug Wellington
05-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Back on topic, I think the only thing I wish I hadn't purchased was the second Peavey SP... ...hmm, or maybe the AN1x. Great synth, but I bought a damaged one from a student as a mercy purchase because he needed money. :D I like it so much, I'll probably try to find an undamaged one at some point... (I actually called Yamaha and asked about a replacement cover - the first time I called, it was $150. A week later I decided to actually buy it, but when I called back, the price was over $300!!! What's with that?)

amyhughes
05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Sorry guys but if you have a dedicated pc running just GS3 and it's crashing a lot then there's something wrong with your pc setup. After the 3.04 update GS3 became one of the most stable programs out there.

My problem isn't with GS. That ran fine. The problem is that every time I leave a PC idle for a couple months (my studio use is on again, off again), when I turn it on something doesn't work anymore. This has happened with every PC and every version of Windows I've ever owned.

kitekrazy
05-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Haste: Sonar 3. I hardly used it, then upgraded to Sonar 4. From my experinece with Cakewalk and Sony is to now only upgrade to even number versions.

I tend to shop for items than actually create anything with it. I probably did a lot more with a $39 Guillemont sound card, Voyetra DOP than the software and hardware that I now own. There are a lot of people making music using freeware like Buzz. I have more than enough resources to make music but I haven't put them to good use.

dpasdernick
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
A couple of Christmas' ago I had the choice between:

Spectrasonics Trilogy + Stylus RMX

or

Hardcore Bass
Artist Drums
Cult Sampler
Bosendorfer 290

I opted for the "more has got to better" approach and am regretting it ever since. I don't use Artist Drums, Hardcore Bass and the pianos now in Collussus are good enough so I didn't even reinstall the Bosendorfer when I upgraded my machine. The box still looks great on my shelf though. (I love those EW boxes!) I do enjoy Cult Sampler.

I never learn...

Darren

PS I'm in on the non-group-buy thingy (pure genious)

PSS My wife bought me a brand new yamaha DTX Special electronic drum set for my birthday. I am getting the band back together and you are all invited to join in. I'll work on my chops and you guys start painting our logo on the school bus!

sinkd
05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
EMU Virtuoso 2000 :mad: :o :mad:

Bah!

Oh yeah. And MOTU Mach 5. Although since this was my first software sampler, it did teach me lots about what I really needed, so I can't complain too much. K2 has been a much better piece.

DS

wja
05-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Best Buys -

Cubase SX, EWQLSO, stormdrum, JBL LSR monitors

Worse Buys,

Reason, Wavelab, Albino (but only because I just don't ever use them)

Doug Wellington
05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Ah, we post best buys too, eh? For me, probably getting my full blown, dual processor, fully digital, 6x ADAT lightpipe, 8x stereo effects, dual controller, Roland VM-7200 mixer! :) ...well, that and the new Looperlative LP1! :D ...or all the MOTM and Blacet modules...the Milton!...the Encore Electronics stuff...the Evolvers...the V-Synth...EWQLSC, RA, Gold XP, Kirk Hunter Emerald, all the Scarbee stuff, the Bela D stuff, Sampletekk, Sibelius, DP, RMX, Atmosphere...

Sheesh, I better stop typing and get in there and make some music!

EDIT: Heehee, wonder if I'll ever catch up to Cikira? ;)

EricWatkins
05-13-2006, 08:31 AM
EMU Virtuoso 2000 :mad: :o :mad:

Bah!

DS

Ok, I know you are going to laugh but I own GPO and Gold but I still occasionally pull something from the Virtuoso or even my Roland orchestral board for certain sounds. Some of the 5 cello Spicatto patches are still what the doctor ordered when I need a really fast attack to cut through. It does collect alot of dust these days but I dont think I'll ever get rid of it. It would have been rediculous at the original $2000.00 MSRP but at $600.00 almost three years ago, I still dont regret it. In a way I've been fortunate that I havent had a ton of money to spend to it keeps me in check as to what I can buy. Everything I've bought I've used and used and used. Cubase SX was the biggest step coming from (dont laugh) Power Tracks. But even Power Tracks really got me going with sequencing. After Cubase I was really looking for a way to do orchestral mocks so when I bought it, I also got my Virtuoso and Roland XP-30 (with orchestral expansion) from ebay. Only after using Cubase did I learn about VSTi's. GPO was the first and completely changed the way I wrote music. From there I just looked at the catagories of music and kept expanding my libs toward being able to cover the basics of any kind of music. SOV- Great buy. Gold- Great buy. Stormdrum- Great buy. Albino- Great buy. Now I want XP and RA. Just waiting to get rich first. I dont even know if I can afford the group buy this month. If I cant, it's ok because I really dont need ethnic instruments yet. When I do need them for a specific library, then it will be easy to justify the investment. Otherwise RMX and Atmosphere are high on my list of wants. It must be early, I'm rambling bad :D .

Eric

kitekrazy
05-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Best Buys: KH Emerald, Worra's products, GPO, Extreme Sample Convertor, Vsampler

You don't have to be rich to have nice libraries.

Best buy utilities: GoBack, All Ashampoo products.

Bad choices: System Mechanic 6.

Stagwall
05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Worst buys which I never use/used:
Clavia Nord Rack 2, Yamaha A3000, Samson PL2404 Stereo Mixer, reFX Vanguard, Game Cube and PS One.

Best buys:
Yamaha CS2x (my first synthesizer), Reason 3.0, two 17" TFT screens, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and I hate to admit it - Cubase SL 2. I don't really like Cubase SL 2 but I guess I will need it once I get EWQLSO and Kontakt.

Sarobin
05-15-2006, 04:12 AM
My worst purchases (as in crap or just don't use) may be a bit controversial:

GPO (mod wheel hassle / quality)
GOS (hated the sound)
JABB (mod wheel hassle / quality)
London Solo Strings (only one long-bow art!!)
Miroslav Phil (just because I have things that are better)
DHFS (good, but too fiddly and power hungry)

Best purchases (and use all the time!)

Trilogy (never use anything else for basses now)
Atmosphere
Plugsound Global (really good for celeste, and a couple of other patches)
Gigaharp
Sonic Implants Symphonic Collection
HALION Strings (although tend to use SISC now)
Steinberg Grand
QL Brass
BDF (but really only for hats / cymbals - snares don't offer enough arts)
Wizoo Latin Perc Platinum
SAM timpani
RealGuitar (wish they would hurry up and add an electric guitar as promised 3 years ago though!)

bugs
05-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Worst Buys (all to be replaced soon)

Behringer EuroRack Pro Mixer (died after 4 months), PCR-M1 (lowest 3 keys work improperly, difficult to program), UC-33e Surface Controller (never worked properly), Dell Dimension 4550 (underpowered and only 1GB RAM capacity—seemed like enough at the time), Yamaha Classical Guitar (unpacked it, tuned it and that was the last time I touched it—I’m a keyboard player).

Best Buys

Cubase SX3.1, Atmosphere 1.2, Stylus RMX 1.5, Stormdrum, EWQLSO Gold, Kontakt 1.5, Symphony of Voices (vocal splendor, but wish it had word building), Reason 3 (not 2), Yamaha MU100R Tone Module (love it, have had it for almost 10 years), all my Voxengo effects, FXTeleport (makes the Dell usable), PowerPro (ASUS) Laptop with Echo Indigo IO, M-Audio FW410, Edirol MA-10 Monitors (use as satellites with sub—hard to beat at the price, but plan to replace soon with higher end system), the triple display set-up (3 x 19” LCDs with Matrox P750) and the InFocus X1a projector (great for teaching and has some considerable entertainment value as well).

davecos
05-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Miroslav Philharmonik. I'd just received EWQLSO Gold Pro XP so I don't know why the heck I bothered with this. Between the sounds not cutting for me and the STUPID iLok registering process, ugh, I cannot be bothered.

Also the Arturia CS80V isn't doing much for me. I prefer the Atmosphere CS80 patches to be honest.

While I like M-Audio Symphonic Strings and Brass collections (based on SI strings/brass) again, I don't really use them.

Smartest purchases:

Yamaha Mo8 (great controller and nice onboard sounds)
EWQLSO Gold Pro XP
Garritan JABB
Overture 4

geronimo001
05-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Worst buy: EWQLSO Silver.. cause i didn't need it(tough it had a cloce mic).
cubase VST(had a good deal on it but the midi functions were weak).

Best buy: VSL Chamber strings, VSL Opus 1+2(35% off last Xmas). Vintaudio group buy. SISS for sus strings/playability. Cubase SE for midi($99).

Nick Batzdorf
05-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Yamaha DX-100 (before it became hip). The salesman told me I'd need it to use the upcoming FB-01, one of the first multitimbral synths - which of course was bollox.

However, I did 80 spots using an FB-01, TX-7, DX-7, RX-15 drum machine, SPX-90 fx processor, and QX-5 sequencer. My keyboard stand was an ironing board (not made by Yamaha).

This was last week, of course.

I still have the TX-7, RX-15, and FB-01 in a closet.

thesoundsmith
05-18-2006, 03:17 AM
The box still looks great on my shelf though. (I love those EW boxes!) Good Lord, you can keep the boxes??? :eek: I don't have room in my studio for the jewel cases, never mind the boxes... :D

Best Buys:
Frontier Tranzport - use it everywhere
G5 non-Intel Mac - much more stable than my G4 or G3
Hammond A-103
NI B4
Too many great libs to list

Worst Buys:
Mackie HDR24/96 Recorder - great unit, I just don't need it. Hey, maybe I'll make it portable... hmmm What a great thread!
Kurzweil 2500x. Great controller, but weighs so much I can't even get it on the keyboard stand by myself, so it sits in the shed outdoors...
VMK-88 keyboard. great idea, terrible execution. It bogs down from pumping a volume pedal (something a jazz or rock organist will do a lot), add to that some drawbar pulls and palm glisses and the poor beastie just whimpers.

dpasdernick
05-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Yamaha DX-100 (before it becamse hip). The salesman told me I'd need it to use the upcoming FB-01, one of the first multitimbral synths - which of course was bollox.

However, I did 80 spots using an FB-01, TX-7, DX-7, RX-15 drum machine, SPX-90 fx processor, and QX-5 sequencer. My keyboard stand was an ironing board (not made by Yamaha).

This was last week, of course.

I still have the TX-7, RX-15, and FB-01 in a closet.

Nick,

I had the FB01, 2 TX 7's, some sort of yamaha drum machine which actually had James Brown samples (or some one that sounded close to him). I didn't have the coin for the ironing board stand but managed to salvage a coffee table I made in 10th grade wood work to support some of my stuff.

Good times... Good Times....

;)

Darren

Nick Batzdorf
05-18-2006, 10:19 AM
James Brown samples in a Yamaha drum machine? Which one was that?

And yeah, they were good times. :) Of course, Garage Band sounds a lot better...

Doug Wellington
05-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Yamaha DX-100 (before it became hip).
Heehee, I still have my DX-100. It's right next to the first synth I bought - my Juno-106! Yipes, I still have the TG-33 and the RY-30 too, mounted in the rack right below the two Peavey SP samplers and the Kawai K5m's. (And right above the MIDI Master 2 and the PLM mixer...anybody remember those?)

Sigh, feeling old today...

Bruce A. Richardson
05-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Are you talking about the "eeeeeyow" and "get funky" samples on that old Yamaha drum machine? Haha, I had that one, too. I think it was maybe called an RX-11. That has been AGES ago.

My old MIDI rig was a Prophet V, Juno-106, DX-7, TX81 (I think, the one that was a rack of several DX-7 modules), Kurzweil Horn Expander, An AKAI analog synth I can't recall, a couple of AKAI samplers, and a rack of JLCooper MixMasters to automate all the volumes (most MIDI keyboards didn't respond well or dependably to volume at the time), as well as to automate the ADAT mixes. I also had a couple of CZ-101's, which were excellent because you could engage the "secret" multi-timbral mode and create four separate parts. I also had a 360-systems MIDI Bass in there, and a Kawai K1m, a Roland MT-32, and later kept adding Roland U-series modules, which I learned to hate with a special passion.

The coolest thing about the Juno-106 was "mode 3," where it sent and received realtime SysEx for each slider. For its age, it was the most automatable hardware synth of its kind for years.

I kept adding and subtracting stuff, and ultimately got so burned out on the direction MIDI hardware was taking that I avoided it through most of the mid-to-late 1990's. I didn't really enjoy synthesis/sampling again until 1999, when Giga, Reality, Reaktor, etc., started making strides.

I honestly don't regret a single thing, though. At some point, all of it gave me some level of pleasure and return on the investment. Those were very different times, haha. I have literally BOXES of patchbays, 1/4" cabling, and MIDI cable from those days. The amount of actual wire in my studio today, as opposed to ten-fifteen years ago is a teeny tiny fraction. I will probably never need to buy another audio cable for the rest of my life.

dpasdernick
05-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Are you talking about the "eeeeeyow" and "get funky" samples on that old Yamaha drum machine? Haha, I had that one, too. I think it was maybe called an RX-11. That has been AGES ago.

That's the one! Funny thing, my wife just bought me a Yamaha DTXepress special electronic kit for my birthday and one of the funk kits in it has the crash cymbal saying "funky" No Sh%t! Some things just never die...

;)

Darren

J. Whaley
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM

Peace

rikp

Ditto. That's all i can say.

Does anybody know if we can stack Mac Mini's with Logic's distributed audio? I think the new intel chips even the processing field between the g5 and the mac mini.... this could be huge... :) Good bye Giga and windows forever! (I already have the perfect spot in the lake to lay my giga machine to rest)

J. Whaley
05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I have a pretty long list. I'm a true gear slut so I've had some good winners and loosers... let's see:

The biggest Losers:
Digitech vocalist - salesman convinced me we could do our own BGVs. kept if for two years and never used it once. But the power adapter did come in handy for another piece of gear I bought without a power adapter!

Joe Meek 1/2 rack compressor. can't remember the model.

** The saddest part about these two pieces is I was truly conned into buying them, and also opening a store credit card. Little did I know I was about to loose my huge gig. I couldn't pay the card, and 9 months later I ended up settling the account for like twice what I actually spent. The moral of the story is never buy gear on credit, especially if you don't know what it does! ***

Yamaha A3000 (I think). I wanted to get into sampling and I was told this would read anything - in fact it read nothing.

Traded Yamaha for Akai 5000

used it for 2 months (maybe) and got Logic EXS. Never used Akai again. Ended up trading it to someone for painting my studio. Funny enough the pain looks better than the akai

Alesis DM Pro - still have it and never used it once (except I've triggerd a Metronome with it)

Peter Sielechek advanced orchestra - don't get me started

Too many sample libraries to mention, a bunch of software, a paint sprayer, and there's been a few dates that weren't worth the dinner, Oh yea, and that multi-level marketing company... but I'm digressing.

Good calls:
My Korg Karma - though I never use it now, it was great for me when I got it.

Everything I've ever bought from Spectrasonics.

EWQLOS

LOGIC PRO 7

Free Westwind perc library - best hard drive space I've ever given up for free!

And a bunch more...

can we talk about bad clients?

J-

drjohnny79
05-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Did you mean the westgate perc library, J. Whaley?

Westwind?

Bruce A. Richardson
05-19-2006, 08:53 AM

Man, the first red flag there is not Giga. Dells are notorious. What hardware? This is not a problem you should be having.

dabbler
05-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I didn't pay for some of these (my employer did), but they're still worthy in the good and bad department

WORST

- Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition - too restrictive, and you can tell the riffs a mile off.
- Melodyne Studio 2.6 - it sucks
- Apple G4 1.67Ghz Powerbook - power? What power?
- Maxtor One Touch II USB2 hard drive - doesn't function reliably as a normal hard drive. Might be okay for backups (which it seems is what it was primarily designed for)
- Used electric guitar and practice amp - no matter how hard I try, I can't play the guitar!
- DSP Quattro - too unstable: makes my blood pressure rise every time it crashes
- Alesis Monitor 1 MkII's - sound horrible
- Alesis HD24 - too hard to use for editing, and monitoring
- HHB Burnit CD recorder: can never find discs that it will burn reliably.
- Photoscore professional: I have never come across software so bad at the job it was designed for. Bought five licences, but only installed one. I didn't want to give others the same disappointment and huge waste of time that I experienced.

BEST

- My current PC
- Adam S2A monitors
- Virtual Guitarist 2 upgrade (wow, what a difference!)
- Atari STE (used)
- Cubase 3.5, 5.0, SX3
- Kontakt 2
- Conn Vintage One trumpet: totally transformed my playing putting me in demand instead of at the mid-bottom of the pile for gigs.

LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIPS
- Technics WSA1R - can't make up my mind whether the majority of sounds are really good or really bad. The filtering is definitely a lie. I think it's a hate.
- JABB - gotta love it - tons of really good sounds, potentially... but those out of tune samples, and the shear effort of getting the good sounds can be frustrating and cramping of creativity. I do use it more than any other sample library though. Yeah, I think it's a love and one day maybe I'll have mastered it...

Nick Batzdorf
05-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Ah, the RX-11. No, it doesn't have the James Brown samples. The RX-15 I mentinoned is the same thing as the -11 without the separate outputs and backlighted LCD, and I believe the RX-11 has an additional snare and one other instrument. I had an RX-11 at one point but got rid of it because it was too hissy.

Actually the RX-15 is still kinda cool. I found an old VHS HI-FI tape (that's what I used to master onto) from the '80s, and there's a cue with it that actually sounds quite good. It's very dry and in your face. At that time it was totally amazing that a machine could do that, and the main alternative was a Roland box with every sample pounded to high hell. It had timbales; I forget what it was called.

What's really cool about my RX-15 is that I bought it 21 years ago. It's all I have left of my first MIDI rig, which also included a DX-7 and QX-21 sequencer. That rig really was life-changing.

J. Whaley
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Did you mean the westgate perc library, J. Whaley?

Westwind?
Yea, I meant westgate. Westwind, westgate.... west is west.. :)

Can we talk about the bad clients??? My worst/best list got cut short because while I was writing it I had the absolute worst client I've ever had start sending me hate mail and telling me that I'm also the worst person she's ever worked with.... well... what do you know. Neither one of us like each other. I say good riddance . . . . I'd feel bad but seeing as I've been a full time musician for 6 1/2 years and only had one other person I totally refuse to work with - on the contrary this lady's been in town less than a year and apparently I'm number 4....... I shant take it personal.

Okay - Back to gear.

*Did I mention my Alesis Nano-verb? That was dumb?
*How about my Oxygen 8? - cool idea but it's collected dust for 2 years
*I bought a Roland JV-1010 when I already had a JV-1080, and 2 XP30's
*Behringer (sp?) studio monitors - exchanged those for another set because they didn't work right. Exchanged those for another set because THEY didn't work right, exchanged those and traded up to Roland Monitors, Finally traded those along with my Akai sampler (to the painter) and bought Mackie HR8's. I've been using the mackie's now for 3 years.

I'll think of some more later.

Have fun
J-

Drew Buchan
05-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi J,

If you loved their percussion, you'll really like their free trumpet. It sounds wonderful through a decent reverb.

PaulR
05-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Bad: I bought a mini moog in 1971 and wound up destroying it a fit of rage at a studio because it kept going in and out of tune. Cost 800 plus quid and at the time you could get a reasonably bad house for that.

Good: Hammond B3 - Atmosphere/RMX and Trilogy. The VSL First Edition and Horizon collections. Roland Jupiter 8.

geronimo001
05-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Bad: I bought a mini moog in 1971 and wound up destroying it a fit of rage .

Ha Ha...and what gun did you use?

The VSL First Edition and Horizon collections

I'm surprise we don't see that one more often in the best buy list...

Lunatique
05-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Wosrt:

Turtle Beach Pinnacle System - That's $500 down the toilet for a piece of ~~~it sound card/sequencer software that I never got to work with my computer due to all kinds of incompatibility issues. It still pisses me thinking about it.

Korg Triton Le - I bought it just before I fell head-first straight into the alternate universe of VST's and high-end sample libraries. There's nothing wrong with that synth--just if I had waited a bit longer, I'd have just gotten a midi controller keyboard instead.

Best:

Roland D-10 - Although it's nothing special, even in its days, it was my first synth, and along with the Roland PR-100 2-track sequencer (TWO tracks! How did I ever manage???), I learned how to compose/arrange/program drums on them. They were my workhorse for many years before I finally took the virtual plunge.

Clavia Ddrum 4 system - It was the best electronic drum kit on the market when I bought it (floor demo model for $3k), and although I wish it was more robust feature-wise, I still think it's a good buy. However, I think I probably would've been happy with any decent drum system--I just love playing drums, period.

Any of the Sonar versions - I love the included effects plugins (Sonitus/Lexicon). No other host sequencer comes with such high quality effcts--except Logic Pro's Space Designer. Sonar 5 is quite incredible in terms of included goodies, but I already had some of the newly added synths, so the impact wasn't as dramatic to me.

Any Cubase SX versions - I no longer use Cubase, but damn, I really love the included synths (Waldorf A1, Embracer, Monolog).

NI Battery - It's my default go-to drum sampler for a long time. But now I have many other options, I'm starting to use it less.

Korg Legacy Collection - I want to have with the Legacy Cell. It's that sexy.

rgc Z3ta+ - My wife should be jealous of her. :D It was love at first note.

Edirol HQ-OR Orchestral - It's still amazing for something that uses so little resources. I still use it now as a sketching tool.

Steve_Karl
05-23-2006, 03:37 AM

-67 Sunburst Stratocaster
-67 50W Marshall amp with 4x12 cabinett from the same era, both white!

:(

Oooo ... similar story for me.
Mine were:
1957 Les Paul Jr. TV
1957 Les Paul Special ( double cutaway )
1963 Black Les Paul Custom
1969 Black Les Paul Custom
1976 ( I think ?) Gibson Explorer
Mid' 70's Gibson Barney Kessell ( oooooouch! )
50's beige fender bassman and about 4 black bandmasters ( tops 'n bottoms )
1976 Triumph Bonneville http://www.sightsea.com/extras/photos/triumph.html

PeterMcC
05-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok,
late to the game here.

Worst-
absolutely Giga 3 Orch, the worst piece of code ever written, more hostile than a trojan virus to computer.

I'm an impulse shopper I guess, ...go out for a gallon of milk, come home with big screen TV. doh!!!

my name is pete,... I'm an addict.

Nick Batzdorf
05-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Your name is Pete and you really need to take a deep breath and remember that this is many peoples' livelihoods that you're peeing on.

Obviously not everyone is having whatever problems you're having. Me, for example - Giga 3 is working completely reliably.

I find this kind of crap incredibly frustrating.

FredProgGH
05-25-2006, 11:24 PM
I have NEVER had GS3 crash. Ever. Not once. And that was before updates.

PeterMcC
05-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Your name is Pete and you really need to take a deep breath and remember that this is many peoples' livelihoods that you're peeing on.

Obviously not everyone is having whatever problems you're having. Me, for example - Giga 3 is working completely reliably.

I find this kind of crap incredibly frustrating.

Nick,
I meant no harm or personal offense to anyone, including the users of GS.
I'm sorry you took it that way.
I was just sharing my personal experience like everyone else on the thread. I found the whole thread funny. Sorry you took my post so seriously

I'm glad GS works great for you.

Peter

Moonmusic
05-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Sorry Nick but I second GS3...Not that it's THAT bad but it is the MOST regrettable software I've ever bought and if they would allow me to sell it I would in an instant....I started with GS96 and loved that but the upgrade really bogged my PC and I wasn't real happy about having to pay extra $ just to make it VST compatable so I didn't and it's been on the shelf ever since, That's when Kontakt took over the role and haven't been looking back since.To each his own I guess....

Nick Batzdorf
05-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I don't take it personally, but I hate to see companies bashed with abandon. Someone is going to read your little joke and get the impression that Giga 3 is worse than the Devil. He or she will then say that to a friend, who repeats it to another friend, and we all lose.

Moonmusic, if you have a computer that isn't up to running GS3 and regret buying it for your own uses, that's a qualified subjective opinion and of course I have no problem with that. However, I do have to say that one of the machines I run it on is pretty modest by today's standards - 2.4GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM - and on that machine it loads about 20% more into GS3 than GS2, so for me it would be worth the upgrade just for that alone. It also has the DEF filter, which works very well. And Gigapulse.

PeterMcC
05-26-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't take it personally, but I hate to see companies bashed with abandon. Someone is going to read your little joke and get the impression that Giga 3 is worse than the Devil. He or she will then say that to a friend, who repeats it to another friend, and we all lose.

Moonmusic, if you have a computer that isn't up to running GS3 and regret buying it for your own uses, that's a qualified subjective opinion and of course I have no problem with that. However, I do have to say that one of the machines I run it on is pretty modest by today's standards - 2.4GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM - and on that machine it loads about 20% more into GS3 than GS2, so for me it would be worth the upgrade just for that alone. It also has the DEF filter, which works very well. And Gigapulse.

Nick,

Enough, I apologized. You don't need to chastise me.

I guess as a senior member you qualify to determine a " wreckless abandon" post from a legit one.? OK fine.
Didn't think I needed to qualify for an opinion,. I'm posting from the USA...
Where are you?

I have used the tried and true ASUS p4c800e deluxe for a few years, 2 gigs of ram, sata drives separate, OS, samples, audio,...
Nuendo, is as solid as it gets,.. in 3 years not one single crash,.. read it again.,.. not one.
Since putting GS on the rig it's been a blue screen crash nightmare.
what do you want me to say after shelling out $5oo bucks on it?

yippeeeee !!?

As far as anyone else reading it good for them,.. Tascam has nerve promoting the app as rewire and vst capable, total joke !! we both know this.
come to find out tech support,.. if you get them (worst in the business, one hour on hold)
tells you,.. nothing else should be on the computer but GS.
Great, thanks...I'll go out and buy a separate DAW just for GS.
I can go on, but think I made a my point.
again, glad it works for you. NOT for me.

I know,.. my DAW must be junk,.. right?

Brian W. Ralston
05-26-2006, 05:24 AM
That's the one! Funny thing, my wife just bought me a Yamaha DTXepress special electronic kit for my birthday and one of the funk kits in it has the crash cymbal saying "funky" No Sh%t! Some things just never die...

;)

Darren

Funny story regarding that "eeeyowww" sound. I orchestrated and arranged the music for a stage musical that ran for 7 months in L.A. back in 2003 called Sneaux! In the live band, we used a Yamaha electronic kit. One night we had a sub drummer...earlier that evening before call, one of the stage hands had been messing around the the kit and playing on it...very early before I had got there. He messed around with some of the settings and kits. No one knew at the time. He tried to put them all back apparently but got one of them wrong. Later in the show the sub drummer went through the motions of the predetermined presets for the kits for the various songs. He was familiar with the show, but just assumed the drum presets would be correct. When we got to this one song later in the show...unknown to us beforehand...one of the cymbal sounds had been replaced with the "eeeyowwwww" sound and the other with "funky". The song started...we were pkaying along and not to far into the song we started hearing these weird sounds coming from the kit. Every time the drummer would hit the cymbal pads...those "eyyyowwww" sounds would come out. He couldn't just stop and re-program the kit in the middle of a song in a live musical performance. So...he had to play the rest of that song on that kit without hitting the cymbal pads. It was kind of funny at first...then in retrospect, made me very angry at the stagehands. None of which owned up to it...but we had an idea who it was.

The rule after that was no one touches the band equipment or even goes back there. Of course...that was the rule before...but it had to be made very clear from that point on.

Anyway....that was off topic.

Brian W. Ralston
05-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Nick,

Enough, I apologized. You don't need to chastise me.

I guess as a senior member you qualify to determine a " wreckless abandon" post from a legit one.? OK fine.
Didn't think I needed to qualify for an opinion,. I'm posting from the USA...
Where are you?

I know Nick can take care of his own...but I would have to say that I don't think Nick was on the attack here at you. He was just stating that he felt your comments and grand generalization about GS was unfair to the good people at Tascam. And while I can see that your frustration with getting your machine and gigastudio working together has tainted your view of the company and their program, I would also concur that is more the exception than the rule.

Nick is certainly not one to even care about his "senior member" status on a board like this and I know he was not addressing his concerns with your comments under that premise. Nick is a well respected owner of Virtual Instruments Magazine right here in SoCal and knows quite a bit about the software world as it pertains to our respective musical careers.

In closing...if Gigastudio was so bad...it would not have changed the industry in terms of sample technology. The whole concept of disk streaming large samples came from the development of that program. I am not trying to convince you to go back to it or anything. Far from it. But this industry is a small one. Everyone knows everyone else though only a few degrees of seperation and we all like to talk gear. The pros and cons of software travels fast and that is more likely the reason Nick was motivated to comment on your GS comments.

But chastizing you?? Believe me...when Nick chastizes you...you will know it.

:) :|:

dpasdernick
05-26-2006, 08:03 AM
I know Nick can take care of his own...but I would have to say that I don't think Nick was on the attack here at you. He was just stating that he felt your comments and grand generalization about GS was unfair to the good people at Tascam. And while I can see that your frustration with getting your machine and gigastudio working together has tainted your view of the company and their program, I would also concur that is more the exception than the rule.

Nick is certainly not one to even care about his "senior member" status on a board like this and I know he was not addressing his concerns with your comments under that premise. Nick is a well respected owner of Virtual Instruments Magazine right here in SoCal and knows quite a bit about the software world as it pertains to our respective musical careers.

In closing...if Gigastudio was so bad...it would not have changed the industry in terms of sample technology. The whole concept of disk streaming large samples came from the development of that program. I am not trying to convince you to go back to it or anything. Far from it. But this industry is a small one. Everyone knows everyone else though only a few degrees of seperation and we all like to talk gear. The pros and cons of software travels fast and that is more likely the reason Nick was motivated to comment on your GS comments.

:) :|:

I know Peter does not need anybody to come to his defense but I think Nick's response was over the top. The thread is titled "Items bought in haste ... regretted at leisure" Each of has his own subjectivity here. "One man's gold is another man's garbage" I have had similar experiences with Gigastudio from it's early incarnation. Blue screen of death all of the time. Remove Gigastudio and all is well. And if you want to blame my DAW how come Halion, Cubase, Atmosphere, Gold, etc, etc all work brilliantly? So there's now at least two of us that don't like Gigastudio. Big Deal...

To worry that someone dissing a piece of software on this forum will lead to it's ultimate demise is crazy. Do a search for any piece of software here and you'll find someone praising it and someone trashing it. Like music, it's all up to the individual.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, If a comment like Peter's can single handedly bring down a company like Tascam then they have bigger problems. And conversely, Eric Persing would be outranking Bill Gates as the richest man in the world because of the praise he receives (all rightfully deserved :))

Darren

PeterMcC
05-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Forget all this,

An open forum is about sharing opinions and personal experiences.

"personal experiences"!!!

I won't apologize again for stating my own personal opinion or experiences.
I live in the USA, and didn't spout or promote any vicious or untrue rumours.
get over it.

You think my experience with GS is the exception, have a look at all the similar posts right here.

enough with this.

Peter

Nick Batzdorf
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM

And believe me, Brian knows. :)

What Brian says is right, Darren. Look, I *want* people to express opinions in these discussions. That's what they're all about. More than that, I don't believe anyone should ever be banned from this or any other forum - even if they cross the line, which we all do from time to time.

However, I also feel that the way criticism is expressed is important. And I admit it: that attitude comes partly from having been a member of the press for years.

Peter, "this is America" applies to you too - it's my right to speak up if a comment makes me cringe because I find it unfair. But I apologize for rubbing it in after making my point once.

wes37
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Oddly, some people have problems with Kontakt, though once I made the switch from Gigastudio to Kontakt, I've never had any problems...and I was one of the ones with TONS of problems with Gigastudio.

I still own it, but never use it and regret purchasing it.

thesoundsmith
05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
back OT (or really further OT in a different direction...)

Worst Item:

Marriage License! :D

(Just kidding, wehave been together 34 years and are still going strong (not 'going at it strong...')

Bruce A. Richardson
05-26-2006, 12:54 PM
It doesn't matter what product one is discussing, this is a universal situation. One can take any product and find a system that will absolutely crater when running it.

I will now solve every GigaStudio problem ever experienced with one newsgroup post:

Build a fast machine with the current best processor and motherboard. Put as much RAM in it as it can use. Use fast hard drives and plenty of fans. Dedicate it to Giga. Put a Layla in it.

You're done. Problem totally, completely solved. It will pay for itself in a month if you are even modestly working. The rest is gravy. It gives you your first MIDI port, enough a/d conversion to handle most overdub sessions, enough d/a support to cover your monitoring needs for any gig, and your first eight channels of lightpipe to get signals directly and cleanly into your DAW. It will handle all the standard word-clocking formats. It's a basic, slamming, journeyman rig that you can rack up, take anywhere (including on stage), and be totally prepared to rock.

Is a Layla the only great interface for Giga?

Nope.

Can I, as a person who has built several trouble free Giga machines around them and used them until I've worn them out, say that it is a choice which has never resulted in a problem rig?

Yes.

The answer to problems has forever and always been the same with music technology. If you talk to your professional colleagues who are using a particular technology successfully, and follow their direction, you'll mirror their results. Or, you can bitch on internet forums. Or call tech support, which in the vast majority of cases will put you on the phone with someone who answers the phone for a living.

alanb
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
It doesn't matter what product one is discussing, this is a universal situation. One can take any product and find a system that will absolutely crater when running it.

I will now solve every GigaStudio problem ever experienced with one newsgroup post:

Build a fast machine with the current best processor and motherboard. Put as much RAM in it as it can use. Use fast hard drives and plenty of fans. Dedicate it to Giga. Put a Layla in it.

You're done. Problem totally, completely solved.
It is unfortunate (and, for those persons not fortunate enough to have discovered this particular Forum, tragic), that advice like above, while sound [pun intended, albeit retroactively], is too often given after Giga has been purchased, installed, and repeatedly flatlined, and after the purchaser's gear budget has been maxed out...

FredProgGH
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM

My box is a mere Athalon 2400+ with 1.5 Gb RAM and it still works wonderfully. I think it's really the last two lines that make a lot of difference. I run Audiophile 24/96 in every machine but the Giga (and they're great), but it has a Layla and dang it, it works like a champ. EVERY person who has trouble with Giga has it running on a box with other apps.

Doug Wellington
05-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Look, I *want* people to express opinions in these discussions.
Well, then I'd like to express my opinion about something - I'm quite disappointed that I *STILL* haven't received all issues of VI magazine, even though I signed up for a two year subscription at the beginning. So far, only one issue was actually delivered on time directly to me, and that had an incorrect address on it. I/we were just lucky enough to have the postal worker notice and put it in the correct box. Two other issues were put in a manila envelope and mailed to me at the same incorrect address many months after publication. Both times I sent in address corrections via email. It is my opinion that I have had to send far too many emails to solve this problem - there are almost thirty messages in my "VI Mag" email folder, starting June 30, 2005, and I even called Nick on the phone twice about it. If it was a crappy magazine, I would have just cancelled the subscription...

FredProgGH
05-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Ha! Let's start a new thread to see who has the oldest, slowest PC that runs Giga perfectly! :p I'm in the lead so far:

Athlon 1600+ with 1 Gb RAM, Giga 96, WamiRack24 soundcard. It runs 32 channels of instruments with no problems.

Let the competition begin! ;) :cool:

Ern :|: :)
:D ..............................

dpasdernick
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
My box is a mere Athalon 2400+ with 1.5 Gb RAM and it still works wonderfully. I think it's really the last two lines that make a lot of difference. I run Audiophile 24/96 in every machine but the Giga (and they're great), but it has a Layla and dang it, it works like a champ. EVERY person who has trouble with Giga has it running on a box with other apps.

So the solution to running Giga is to have a dedicated machine? For the many of out there who can only afford one machine (or don't want to deal with multiple machines) maybe Kontakt, Halion, Emu, etc will get the job done without the headaches.

Bottom line for me is if I need a dedicated machine for one program I'll strongly look elsewhere first. And I did...

MHO,

Darren

jeffn1
05-26-2006, 03:36 PM
My impression is that Giga works very well in a separate machine, being more efficient than Kontakt 2.

I tend to think that is a useful "first cut". If you are setting up a second dedicated machine, Giga might have an edge, if using within one machine, go Kontakt 2.

But, Kontakt 2's scripting is very nice for real time control over large libraries, so . . . .

jeffn1

Nick Batzdorf
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Doug, please check your email - I need to confirm that the address we're sending it to is right and find out which ones you're missing. The manilla envelope obviously got sent to the wrong address because we had the wrong address in our database, so that makes sense.

Other than that, the post office seems to miss about 2 or 3% of the deliveries every issue (now that we're shipping under a periodicals permit), which means there's a 1 in 50 to 1 in 3o chance that yours won't make it any time. But the odds of it happening more than once are pretty small.

I apologize for the errors with your subscription (if I remember right I got you confused with someone in New Zealand?), and for the widespread delivery problems we had at first when we used bulk mail. That was due to some bad advice, and we learned the hard way. But there's nothing else we can do at this point, I'm afraid. We're shipping the same way Time magazine does, so I'm sure they have the same success rate.

sinkd
05-26-2006, 04:22 PM
--too hastily composed post deleted by author--
:)

Doug Wellington
05-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Doug, please check your email - I need to confirm that the address we're sending it to is right and find out which ones you're missing.
Nick, I just checked my email, and you do list my address correctly in it. I'll send you an email reply tonight when I get home and make sure I give you the correct answer about which issue I'm still missing.

I apologize for the errors with your subscription (if I remember right I got you confused with someone in New Zealand?), and for the widespread delivery problems we had at first when we used bulk mail. That was due to some bad advice, and we learned the hard way. But there's nothing else we can do at this point, I'm afraid. We're shipping the same way Time magazine does, so I'm sure they have the same success rate.
Yeah, I was sort of chuckling to myself last year when that happened - sometimes I do think about living *IN* Wellington, NZ, but I've never been mistaken *FOR* Wellington before.

Not sure if you're in good company with Time magazine though... ;) (EDIT: To clarify, I personally have WAY more use for the information in VI Mag than I do for that in Time...)

Bruce A. Richardson
05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
So the solution to running Giga is to have a dedicated machine? For the many of out there who can only afford one machine (or don't want to deal with multiple machines) maybe Kontakt, Halion, Emu, etc will get the job done without the headaches.

Bottom line for me is if I need a dedicated machine for one program I'll strongly look elsewhere first. And I did...

MHO,

Darren

(insert sound of someone who gives a *** here)

Why are you arguing with a point I'm not making, out of curiosity? Did I say GigaStudio was right for you? I'm seeing a lot of complaining because the darned orange someone bought isn't the grapefruit that they insist it should be.

I find it hard to understand how someone could argue with GigaStudio/GigaPulse as being an excellent use of a dedicated computer. It's a huge amount of power.

PeterMcC
05-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Why are you arguing with a point I'm not making, out of curiosity? Did I say GigaStudio was right for you? I'm seeing a lot of complaining because the darned orange someone bought isn't the grapefruit that they insist it should be.

I find it hard to understand how someone could argue with GigaStudio/GigaPulse as being an excellent use of a dedicated computer. It's a huge amount of power.

I'ts been said earlier, this " GS alone on a dedicated DAW" is nice to know going in, because GS has all kinds of sequencer intergration built into it.
i.e. wave editor, sequencer, rewire, vsti support.
It can lead people to believe it'
t

PeterMcC
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM

You're done. Problem totally, completely solved. It will pay for itself in a month if you are even modestly working. The rest is gravy. It gives you your first MIDI port, enough a/d conversion to handle most overdub sessions, enough d/a support to cover your monitoring needs for any gig, and your first eight channels of lightpipe to get signals directly and cleanly into your DAW. It will handle all the standard word-clocking formats. It's a basic, slamming, journeyman rig that you can rack up, take anywhere (including on stage), and be totally prepared to rock.

Is a Layla the only great interface for Giga?

Nope.

Can I, as a person who has built several trouble free Giga machines around them and used them until I've worn them out, say that it is a choice which has never resulted in a problem rig?

Yes.

The answer to problems has forever and always been the same with music technology. If you talk to your professional colleagues who are using a particular technology successfully, and follow their direction, you'll mirror their results. Or, you can bitch on internet forums. Or call tech support, which in the vast majority of cases will put you on the phone with someone who answers the phone for a living.

It's been said earlier here, this "GS on a deicated DAW" would be helpful going in, knowing what to expect, not after plunking down $500.

So back OT of the initial post, a purchase I regret because I wasn't prepared to "go there"
maybe the future...

Because GS is marketed with all kinds of sequencer integration.
i.e. Wave editor, Sequencer, Rewire, VST support
Are these just marketing buzz words then when it comes to GS?
why rewire ? why vst support? why a button to click and have the wave editor of choice open up? why, oh why,... is there a button to launch your sequencer on it?

In "my" studio none of these features perform. I'd even go as far as calling it (the above mentioned feature list) Blaspemous false advertising !!

I won't dispute its not a great sounding program, thats not my beef here.
Oh well,... live and learn

Peter

jeffn1
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
If I recall correctly, Giga cannot be used as a VSTi within a host. But, it can act as a host for VST effects (and VSTi's?).

If I am wrong, let me know.

jeffn1

dpasdernick
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM

If you'd read the post a tad closer you'd notice my response was based on Fred's 2 cents... not yours.

Darren

PeterMcC
05-26-2006, 09:12 PM
If I recall correctly, Giga cannot be used as a VSTi within a host. But, it can act as a host for VST effects (and VSTi's?).

If I am wrong, let me know.

jeffn1

That is correct,. or the premise at least yet,.. it should be on it's "own computer" right?

vst plugs- not vsti's

either way, none of my VST plugs work inside GS. LOL !!!

Doug Wellington
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
OK, well, I've thought about it, and I finally have a purchase that I regret...

NI Kore.

It's basically an expensive version of Chainer/Forte/Phrazor/Vstack with a hardware controller that acts as a dongle, but is too big to be a good dongle. (And the @#$%^ rubber feet don't even stay on...)

Sigh...

(Maybe the "free" upgrade to Komplete 3 will make me feel better...)