PDA

View Full Version : K 2 !!!!!

Styxx
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Any of you top guns know of how I can contact NI techs? This K2 is for the birds! :mad:

robgb
03-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Any of you top guns know of how I can contact NI techs? This K2 is for the birds! :mad:Let me guess. You're on a Mac...

Styxx
03-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Let me guess. You're on a Mac...Nope, PC. God, I can't believe how upset this has me.

Jim Casella
03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Have you updated K2 to the current version? I believe it's currently at 2.0.2.007, and seems much improved on the 2.0 version right out of the box.

Houston Haynes
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
there was a long-burning thread on the official Kontakt forum that has recently been closed. They're working on a fix now - I'd imagine they'll announce it as an update at MusikMesse and will release two weeks after the show.

:mad: :samurai: :mad: :n: :(

karmacomposer
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
I just don't get it. I have had Kontakt 2 for quite a long time and it never fails on me.

Now, I mostly use it to playback Kirk Hunter Emerald, Bela D Media Giovani and many other Kontakt 2 specific libraries I purchased.

I use it stand alone and as a vst instrument without problem or fault.

I also NEVER upgraded it since I bought it. Perhaps that is the problem. My version was purchased a little under 8 months ago and I have never bothered to upgrade it. Why fix something that is not broken or is causing me problems? Since then, I have seen people crying over Kontakt 2 and how bad it is!!!

Mike

harleg
03-22-2006, 09:07 PM
This K2 is for the birds! :mad:

I like birds myself... how about leeches(?)... as in a few particular blood-sucking companies!

This is precisely why I have not purchased K2 and probably won't. The only reason I would contemplate a sampler at all at this point, from a personal level, is to have access to SAM Brass and some of the VSL Horizon series stuff (the new V.I. releases are insane -$1350 for chamber strings?).

I really hope Gary, Westgate, the "SAM" cats or some other cool company can come through and serve up some great solo and chamber strings, and do it ASAP. A few companies are in need of a reality check.

I feel for ya.

Brian

karmacomposer
03-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Harleg:

Kirk Hunter has a chamber string collection - he included the chamber string DVD (a subset of the larger collection) for FREE with my Kirk Hunter Symphony Emerald product - what a GREAT bonus!

I would look at that - his collections sound fantastic and the pricing is more than fair and a fraction of what most companies charge.

Mike

MotuHari
03-22-2006, 09:55 PM
I had issues w/K2 at first. Had to re-install and update. Since then it has been stable. But if I run within a host I can't resize the screen to where I would like it.
Styxx here is the contact info for NI....
USA:
Available:
Monday Thursday 9am - 5pm pacific
Friday: 9am 4pm pacific
Phone: +1.323.467 2693
Good luck, all the best

Michiel Post
03-23-2006, 03:21 AM
Any of you top guns know of how I can contact NI techs? This K2 is for the birds! :mad:
I found you can better call their homebase, Berlin. This is where the developers are located and they give you direct phone support on specific questions.
All my reports indicate that the LA support office is merely helping, not solving.

So it is worth getting up early and calling thenm in Europe:
Technical Support (registered users only)
Telephone: +49.30.61 10 35-1400
Fax: +49.30.61 10 35-2400
Support is available from 10 - 18:30 CET

I can say I have had almost no problems with K2. There are some issues with the import function, conversion of giga and other formats...But for the rest K2 is rock-steady here.

S-dahl
03-23-2006, 06:13 AM
I run K2 and it's latest update and it works just great (MAC OSX and DP). On the bad side - K2 is a bit processor hungry :-(

Aaron Dirk
03-23-2006, 07:57 AM
I've found Kontakt2 works great! No teeth gritting issues here.
The scripting alone certainly gives Kontakt2 an edge above the rest:cool:
Kontakt2 is definitely my goto sampler.

RiffWraith
03-23-2006, 08:25 AM
I too run K2 with little to no problems. I am not sure what everyone is crying about here. I am not belittling the fact that people have problems - I am sure people do. But each time I hear someone complain, I hear a complaint - and that's it. No specific issues, no symptoms, nothing. I am still in the dark as to what the actual problems are that people are seeing.

It is not perfect, definitely needs some tweaking; the GUI is in definite need of overhaul - especially the left-hand browser window, and it is indeed processor hungry, but again, I see no show-stopping issues here.

You can email them; I have had success twice out of two tries with email. You may have to wait a bit for a respose that way, but it might be worth a shot.

Cheers.

Styxx
03-23-2006, 08:36 AM
I found you can better call their homebase, Berlin. This is where the developers are located and they give you direct phone support on specific questions.
All my reports indicate that the LA support office is merely helping, not solving.

So it is worth getting up early and calling thenm in Europe:
Technical Support (registered users only)
Telephone: +49.30.61 10 35-1400
Fax: +49.30.61 10 35-2400
Support is available from 10 - 18:30 CET

I can say I have had almost no problems with K2. There are some issues with the import function, conversion of giga and other formats...But for the rest K2 is rock-steady here.
Michiel, you must have some decent size monitors. I was able with help from Brian2112 to change the settings on my monitors so K2 fits. However, having 15" monitors make for a very uncomfortable view setting.
I will call them. I wonder of the possibility of actually receiving a bad DVD in the first place? Who to say that every DVD of software is without glitches? Then again, what do I know?
Thanks Michiel! I shall take up your advice and inform you of the outcome.

kotori
03-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Regarding scripting, it's somewhat limited right now due the function changing volume (a pretty central thing) causing crackles and a size limitation of the area where scripts presents UI controls for settings. Simpler scripts that just trigger notes, eg. humanizer scripts and VSL legato, work quite well though. It shouldn't be very hard to implement scripting so it surprises me that the competitors haven't done this yet.

Although there are lots of things I can think of that needs to be fixed, Kontakt2 is clearly usable for me. What bothers me most is how NI treats and communicates with its customers. Last autumn they promised a soon to be released update and after christmas there was still no update and suddenly they then started talking about investigating what needed to be fixed.

Michiel Post
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
I think this is true for all software companies. They build new software versions with great new features based on old software and have trouble making the old software stable and completely bug-free. Patch-work. NI is no different than others.

The point is we do like the new features. This is what makes us buy the latest software. And we get used working with inconveniences.

Haydn
03-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Styxx,

A 15" monitor is pretty small these days and many don't go over 800x600 or 1024x768. Most of the programs are designed for 17" or larger monitors. I was looking through the threads and I didn't see what resolution you are using.

Jim

Styxx
03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm set now at 1024x768 on both monitors. This was all I could afford along with what I could purchase. Since this has materialized I have been looking at the cost of at least one larger monitor. I'll have to work with what I have.

Styxx
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Styxx,

A 15" monitor is pretty small these days and many don't go over 800x600 or 1024x768. Most of the programs are designed for 17" or larger monitors. I was looking through the threads and I didn't see what resolution you are using.

Jim Jim, wack me with a spoon! They are 17" monitors. One is a flat screen and both are CRT. Later on I will look into a couple of larger LCD. At this resolution I'll go totally blind before my next birthday.
Don't wack me too hard. :D

synthnut
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
I think this is true for all software companies. They build new software versions with great new features based on old software and have trouble making the old software stable and completely bug-free. Patch-work. NI is no different than others.

Michiel,
I have to fully agree with you here ....I have not felt like I am a customer who has bought WORKING software in a LONG time from ANY company .....I feel like a beta tester who pays full price for a piece of software that is still in the beta stage !! .... This is progress ? ......The hurrier I go , the behinder I get !!......
:rolleyes:
Jim

Bruce A. Richardson
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Save early, save often. These are the four words which make even the crankiest technology workable.

Although, I'm pretty pleased overall with software right now. Nothing I use gives me much trouble. I get so much more done in less time...it makes the rough spots more bearable.

Michiel Post
03-24-2006, 03:06 AM
The price you pay for progress.
I'm with Bruce - Saving your work every time you changed something important is vital.

The tools are getting better and more complex every day and you need to adjust your working methods to overcome some of the problems related to the latest software.
If software companies would only deliver 100% tested and hyper-stable software they we would be years, maybe a decade, behind of the current state of the art software developments. I'm willing to learn and adjust my working methods to avoid problems but I can imagine that others just expect their software to work without glitches. Which is also reasonable. I know studios who still use a grey OS9 powermac with Sound-Designer II for stereo editing (16 bit mind you) merely because all later software versions abandoned true stereo edits and don't allow the same simple cross-fades at edit points. You can have it any way you want.
When I first worked with Gigasampler I found that saving large gig files very often caused a system freeze. About 50% failed. A real pain in the head, saving a 2 GB files took over 25 minutes those days and if the file was lost after the freeze you could start editing all over again and try another save routine. Hours got lost this way but hell we survived. Then I learned how to use articulation files to save the edits (if no wave pool changes had occurred) and avoid losing edits when a save command failed. This small change in my working method literally saved me days of work and frustration.
We're many years further now and similar problems still exist but in my experience the problems are a lot smaller. An occasional system crash (which almost never happens on my systems) just needs a reboot and you're back up in a few minutes.
Saving your work every-time you did something is vital.

TARI
03-24-2006, 03:20 AM
The price you pay for progress.
I'm with Bruce - Saving your work every time you changed something important is vital.

I completely agree. I have like a tic in mi left hand. Almost one time per two or three minutes I press Ctrl+S. Although my system is quite stable, this custom has saved me sometimes from the suicide!:rolleyes:

robgb
03-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Nope, PC. God, I can't believe how upset this has me.I'm actually surprised. It seems most who have problems with NI products are on a Mac. I'm on a PC and haven't had a lick of problems. My sincere sympathies.

Raindog
03-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm actually surprised. It seems most who have problems with NI products are on a Mac. I'm on a PC and haven't had a lick of problems. My sincere sympathies.

Nope. Its Mac AND PCs. Just look at the contributions at the NI forum. Computer owners of all ideologies are unified :|: .I must say though that the bugs are only bugs and no showstoppers (but definitely a nuissance). So we all hope NI do a fix after the Musikmesse (if they are not too busy ironing out the bugs of the upcoming Kore :) )
regards
Raindog (writing on a Mac ;) )