PDA

View Full Version : Learning Piano

nofish
11-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I figure most of you here are experienced musicians and I am interested in learning piano, I don't have the time or budget to go to a school but I was hoping someone could recommend some books and home lessons I can use to teach myself on my off time, something to get me started.

cptexas
11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I learned on the Faber Piano Adventures method, which I felt was very good.
Here's a link to the site: http://www.fjhmusic.com/piano/pianoadventure.htm

-Chris

SeanHannifin
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi nofish,

I actually made a post similar to yours about I year ago. falcon1 recommended to me these "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course" books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0882846167/

I bought the first two books (I'm near the end of the first one . . . I haven't been spending a lot of time with them this year . . . I've been busy with other things, as usual :D ). They're easy to follow and very helpful. Of course, what it really comes down to is practice practice practice which no amount of reading can replace, but these books are pretty much "practice assistance" books, giving you something easy to practice, then gradually increasing the skill level you'll need.

bradmott
11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I recommend "The Piano Handbook" by Carl Humphries. It has all the basics, plus some theory and it goes up to some advanced stuff. It also has a cd to accompany the lessons.

nofish
11-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the recommendations guys they look interesting.:)

rwayland
11-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I figure most of you here are experienced musicians and I am interested in learning piano, I don't have the time or budget to go to a school but I was hoping someone could recommend some books and home lessons I can use to teach myself on my off time, something to get me started.

Don't overlook Bastien.

Richard

cptexas
11-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first!
ROFLOL!!

Love your signiture! :D

fastlane
12-04-2005, 12:55 PM
There are some online piano courses also.