PDA

View Full Version : Question about CC11 usage

JWB
02-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi,

Thanks in part to the new EM article on orchestral samples and MIDI controllers (3/05 issue), I'm exploring the use of CC11 expression. I have GOS lite which includes some EXP patches. In order to use CC11, do I have to use patches that only have EXP mod-wheel capability, or can I do this with any sample? So far, "drawing in" expression controllers with Sonar 4 isn't working with my current sample set.

Thanks,
Jon

gugliel
03-01-2005, 07:52 PM
I have the full GOS set -- so maybe I'm wrong -- but I think the CC11 controls relative volume for all patches, while the 'exp' patches add a mod-wheel control for some element of expressiveness (a cross fade between two different samples).

JWB
03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks gugliel... yeah that's what I was led to believe through this article. What do you mean by "relative volume"? Relative to maximum volume level or ?

Jon

gugliel
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
"relative volume" -- I just meant you can set an overall volume level with CC#7, to get the instruments you use mostly balanced with each other. Then, CC#11 can make appropriate moments louder or softer within that overall level.