PDA

View Full Version : Master Class Strings Tutorial by Danielle Davis

Joseph Burrell
12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
As a gift to the Garritan Personal Orchestra community here is the first in a series of Master Class tutorials by Danielle Davis.

This first tutorial is on how to optimize your string writing when using GPO. This tutorial is a godsend for people who need help optimizing their string parts to achieve realism and the nuances that one takes for granted when sequencing string lines. Danielle is one of our most gifted and well-loved composers/arrangers and it has been said many times that we wished we knew how she achieved the sounds she does, well here is a guide showing how she does it. There are some wonderful tips and tricks in these tutorials that will become invaluable to you as you put together your midi orchestrations.

Thanks so much to Danielle for taking the time to give us these tips. Included in these tutorials are pictures of sequences, midi files, as well as audio examples. They are wonderfully written and are concise and to the point but thoroughly explain her process. Again, this is just part one in a series of excellently written and put together tutorials by Danielle. Other tutorials in the Master Class series will be made available soon and will cover such instruments as percussion and brass.

So without further ado:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Danielle_MasterClass_Strings.html

Again, thank you Danielle for being so kind as to share your techniques with the community. I look forward to the rest of these Master Class tutorials. With these wonderful tools we can all hope to achieve your level of performance, so you better watch out! :D

musomark
12-31-2004, 06:01 AM
Thank you very much to Danille (& Joshep) for taking to time to share some of your insights and experience with us. :)

I got Gpo for Xmas and have spent all my spare time in the last few days starting to explore this wonderful collection of instruments. There is so much to learn - but having all the tutorials will speed up the process.

A Happy New Year to all! :D

ailteoir
12-31-2004, 06:18 AM
thank you very much danielle and joseph,
another great tut!
look forward to the rest

sln

mick c

Shazbot
12-31-2004, 07:57 AM
Many thanks, Danielle! Your string work is always superb, so I know I can only improve mine by studying your technique.

Hardy Heern
12-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much Danielle. If this is as good as your previous stuff and your instructive posts I very much look forward to reading it.

gratefully received..

Frank

PS I just went through this Danielle, and I have to say the presentation is superb with the screen dumps, midi files, mp3's etc. A superb training format indeed. I don't know if you are insanely generous or they are looking after you, but thanks a lot either way!!!

Garritan
12-31-2004, 02:34 PM
What a nice way to start the New Year. This tutorial is remarkable and will be a tremendous benefit to those wanting to improve their string renditions. If there are ways for improvement, let us know.

Soon we will post the second Master Class in the series which will deal with the GPO Brass instruments.

Thanks you Danielle for sharing your knowledge and techniques with us.

Gary Garritan

mikea59
12-31-2004, 06:11 PM
Wow! What a wealth of information. Have you ever thought about writing a book - you seem to be a gifted teacher as well as a gifted musician. Thank you Danielle.

Garritan
12-31-2004, 07:30 PM
A revised version has been posted. Same link:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Danielle_MasterClass_Strings.html

allend2010
12-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Indeed, thanks a lot. This will surely get the inspiration moving!!!

Al

Styxx
01-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow! This is so well written and covers a lot of questions! Thank you so much for your generous work Danielle and Joseph!

ghostwriter
01-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Fantastic! Thank you so much for all the work putting this together. There are so many things for me to learn here.

John

Hardy Heern
01-02-2005, 08:36 AM
B**p

EricWatkins
01-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Very Nice. Just one thing mising. Danielle, could you please also call my boss and tell him I wont be in any time soon so that I can put all this great info to work. Thanks.

Eric

Garritan
01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Deserving b*u*m*p

Styxx
01-05-2005, 01:13 PM
I believe Inspector that's "Bimp" :D

Rhap2
01-05-2005, 04:03 PM
An outstanding tutorial. Thank you Danielle and Joseph for making this possible for us to view.

I would like to download this for future reference. Is it possible to have a .PDF format? When I download html I don't get the graphics, just the text.

I also suppose I could download the Mp3 files and catalog them by name then play them on my computer as needed.

Jack Cannon

Daag Nabbott
01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
<edit>... Is it possible to have a .PDF format? When I download html I don't get the graphics, just the text.

I also suppose I could download the Mp3 files and catalog them by name then play them on my computer as needed.

Jack Cannon

If you're using MS Internet Explorer browser (at least in Windows), go to File -> Save As... -> and choose 'Complete'. This will create a folder in the location of your choice on your HD that will also include the graphics.
And yes, I believe you will need to download the Mp3 files manually.
-Rudy

Pierre Laroche
01-06-2005, 02:35 AM
Wow, many thanks Danielle.

And the graphical samples are made with Sonar, the sequencer I use! Don't you think I'm lucky?

DPDAN
01-06-2005, 03:20 AM
I believe Inspector that's "Bimp" :D

did you say pueaup?
:D

Oh yea, Danielle, very nice tutorial :)

Rhap2
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
If you're using MS Internet Explorer browser (at least in Windows), go to File -> Save As... -> and choose 'Complete'. This will create a folder in the location of your choice on your HD that will also include the graphics.
And yes, I believe you will need to download the Mp3 files manually.
-Rudy

Daag Nabbott:

Tried "File -> Save As.......and the only choices are HTML or Text File. What am I doing wrong?

Jack Cannon :o

Daag Nabbott
01-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Daag Nabbott:

Tried "File -> Save As.......and the only choices are HTML or Text File. What am I doing wrong?

Jack Cannon :o

Jack, if you are running MS Internet Explorer in Windows (PC), as I am, then you and I are certainly not using the same version. Go to MS web site to update your browser, if that is the case.

Other than that, I don't know what to advise,
-Rudy

Rhap2
01-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Jack, if you are running MS Internet Explorer in Windows (PC), as I am, then you and I are certainly not using the same version. Go to MS web site to update your browser, if that is the case.

Other than that, I don't know what to advise,
-Rudy

Daag Nabbott:

Got it now. Thanks for your help. :)

Jack Cannon

Aquarius
01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Just discovered the tutorial.

Thank you very much, its very helpful as Im in the beginning of exploring GPO.

Im learning alot, thanks for sharing! :)

Thomas