PDA

View Full Version : Overture SE 3.5, 3.6 won't work on XP Pro

kitekrazy
07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
I've also sent an email to their support. I'm a GPO newbie.

I installed this and when I open it up the splash screen hangs. I can't get it to produce an error report either.
I tried removing the program and cleaning out the registry, the 3.6 update and still get the same result.

Joseph Burrell
07-08-2004, 01:47 PM
That's funny as it works fine in the home edition. There's no errors or anything displayed onscreen when it crashes? I assume you have other audio software installed on the computer that works fine.

kitekrazy
07-08-2004, 02:13 PM
It's the only software that doesn't work. THe splash screen hangs. It doesnt freeze up the whole system.

Joseph Burrell
07-08-2004, 02:57 PM
This is dumb I know, but have you tried running it in compatibility mode, not that I think that's going to help. It's hard to troubleshoot this without some kind of error to go by. Also, have you checked XP's error log? Control Panel, Administration Tools, Event Viewer. See if it says anything there.

snorlax
07-08-2004, 04:39 PM

I installed this and when I open it up the splash screen hangs. I can't get it to produce an error report either.
I tried removing the program and cleaning out the registry, the 3.6 update and still get the same result.

Sorry,man...I'm scoring away on XP Pro with Overture. I started with the SE and liked it enough to get the full version.
What else is in your system tray?? What is listed under startup in msconfig? Those answers may shed some light on the Ov problem.
Jim

kitekrazy
07-08-2004, 10:37 PM
This is dumb I know, but have you tried running it in compatibility mode, not that I think that's going to help. It's hard to troubleshoot this without some kind of error to go by. Also, have you checked XP's error log? Control Panel, Administration Tools, Event Viewer. See if it says anything there.

I've definitely tried that. I think maybe the font's aren't loading when I open it up. It works fine on W2K.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if it will work if I start the print spooler service.

Joseph Burrell
07-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Do you have the task spoolsv.exe disabled from starting in XP? Overture needs this to run I believe. I know that if I turn it off in the task manager, it automatically starts it when I open the program. If you've got it disabled from starting at all this could be a problem.

kitekrazy
07-09-2004, 12:43 AM
That may be it. I have the service set to manual since I don't have a printer connected.
Well that wasn't the solution. For some reason it also does the same thing on my W2K machine.

Joseph Burrell
07-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Could you take a screen shot of your task manager before trying to open Overture and send it to me in an email. Control Alt Print Screen and then paste it into the email. Do it again after you open Overture. I'll see if I can spot anything. Another stupid suggestion, do you have all the compatibility updates for XP installed? There's got to be something wrong here!!!

kitekrazy
07-11-2004, 01:12 PM
I may have found the problem but not the solution. I don't think it install correctly.
There are no registry entries for the Program after it installs. The folders are there but nothing inside them.

Joseph Burrell
07-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Any luck yet? I know this is probably getting frustrating. I'm beating myself over the head and I can't come up with why it isn't putting anything into your registry. It doesn't make sense. You're not running any antivirus or spyware programs... I'm lost...

kitekrazy
07-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Any luck yet? I know this is probably getting frustrating. I'm beating myself over the head and I can't come up with why it isn't putting anything into your registry. It doesn't make sense. You're not running any antivirus or spyware programs... I'm lost...

Nope, this is a true DAW, no net connections, ect. XP service Pack 1.
I guess only the Geniesoft people could figure this one out.

Joseph Burrell
07-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Sorry man, I just don't know what else to do. Sorry I couldn't help.

kitekrazy
07-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, thanks anyway. I can network it from W2K and use GOS on the XP machine. Gott make more use of that Midi Over Lan.

Joseph Burrell
07-13-2004, 08:08 PM
A last ditch effort. Have you checked your registry permissions to make sure your HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE folder has the right permissions selected? Also, (this is stupid too) are you sure you're logged onto your computer as administrator/owner when you try to install the software? If not, it will not install the reg files in the registry.

kitekrazy
07-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Nope, that's not it either.

kitekrazy
08-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Well, I'm back to this again. All of a sudden it doesn't work on my W2K system. It hangs, tried removing it, installing it, sometimes it makes reg. entries and it doesn't. It's like having a flashlight and the batteries went out.

If I ever decide to fork out real money for a score program, it won't be Overture. I can still upgrade my Finale 3.7 for cheap, but Sibelius would still be better.

Thank God for midi, I pretty much have gotten away from using score software.

Joseph Burrell
08-28-2004, 09:25 PM
I don't know if you've tried this yet, but it helped me a week or so ago when mine went crazy. I had removed Midi Ox and all of a sudden I started getting BSOD's. It's worth a shot.

http://www.geniesoft.biz/support/nodevices.htm

The one I did was the TBRemove.exe. I can't tell you why it helped, but it fixed it.

kitekrazy
08-29-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't have those on my system. You can't get past the flash screen.
The installer package is totally messed up and I think I used the one I downloaded from you.
Does anyone have a Overture SE 3.4?

Screw Geniesoft for never answering my support email.

Joseph Burrell
08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Don't get too discouraged. I've talked to Don and he's probably busy answering emails on how to transpose clefs or some other nonsense. Anyway, I'd give the TBRemove as shot anyway. Mine would hang at the splash screen and then spiral into a BSOD from there and starting purging things from ram. I'm really not sure what's going on. As I said, mine worked fine until a freeware program installed Midi Ox and then when I removed it, it went crazy. Have you made any software or hardware changes since you got it up and running. It just doesn't add up.

kitekrazy
09-03-2004, 07:43 PM
I don't know if you've tried this yet, but it helped me a week or so ago when mine went crazy. I had removed Midi Ox and all of a sudden I started getting BSOD's. It's worth a shot.

http://www.geniesoft.biz/support/nodevices.htm

The one I did was the TBRemove.exe. I can't tell you why it helped, but it fixed it.

I tried that numerous times. The Overture installer is flakey. I've tried everything. (almost)

Maybe Overture hates my machines. It installed fine on a machine that doesn't have GPO (tried exporting registries)

Joseph Burrell
09-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Did the one I sent you stop working?

kitekrazy
09-03-2004, 08:40 PM
It's been the strangest thing. The one you sent no longer works.

Joseph Burrell
09-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Hmmm. That is strange. I wonder if it is the installer package he's using. Could be buggy.

kitekrazy
09-03-2004, 09:20 PM
That's it. Even if I install over it I'll get another OVerture in the start menu. I've got an idea. I'll try the Overture demo. If that works then I'll install the SE.

kitekrazy
09-06-2004, 10:46 PM
That's it. Even if I install over it I'll get another OVerture in the start menu. I've got an idea. I'll try the Overture demo. If that works then I'll install the SE.

This solution worked.

snorlax
09-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Hmmm. That is strange. I wonder if it is the installer package he's using. Could be buggy.
Here's a quote from Don in June...not sure if it applies here, but worth a shot.
Jim

There was a batch of disks that had the wrong Overture SE installation file on it. If you send an Email to support@geniesoft.com about this, they will send you the correct installation file.

Don Williams
GenieSoft

geniesoft
09-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Send me an Email describing the problem to support@geniesoft.com and I'll send you a new installer. We Also had a corrupt installer that installed a bad font. The hang is on loading the bad font.

Don Williams

kitekrazy
09-08-2004, 05:15 PM
An email is sent. I hope this one gets some attention and problem solved.