PDA

View Full Version : Gos 2?

Gary M. Thomas
07-06-2004, 03:35 PM
I have read a few posts here today which mention "Garritan Orchestral Strings 2". Is this a brand new sample library by Gary Garritan... or is it an "update' to the already released Garritan Orchestral Strings? And, I don't see "GOS 2" mentioned anywhere on the Garritan website. http://www.garritan.com
Thanks, GT

Per Lichtman
07-06-2004, 06:21 PM
My understanding from the beta testing comments I've read is that there is in fact an entirely new library that has not been released yet. That is what is being referred to as GOS 2.

Gary M. Thomas
07-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks Per, I appreciate the reply! I will keep watching for the release of Garritan Orchestral Strings 2... hopefully real soon. :) Gary

danpowers
07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
It might be worth mentioning that GOS 2 will be a Kontakt product. I've read elsewhere that a selection of GOS 2 patches is being bundled with Halion 3 as well.

fermata
07-07-2004, 07:01 PM
I seem to recall reading that GOS2 will be released first for Kontakt, but I believe Gary was also planning a later release for Gigastudio3. Hopefully that plan has not changed...

Gary M. Thomas
07-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Well, I sure hope that there will be a "Giga" version released..... I am still very much a "GigaMan" and plan on keeping my GigaStudio. But, I'd sure like to have that GOS 2 library when it's released. ;) Gary

YBaCuO
07-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Is anyone able to answer the following GOS-2 questions:

(1) Will there be a 16 bit version?
(2) Is there a set of full-hall mic samples?

YBaCuO

Gary M. Thomas
07-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Thank you all for your helpful replies . ;) Gary

Gary M. Thomas
07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Quick Question.... If GOS2 is gonna be released in Kontakt format.... Do you think that Chicken Systems would sucessfully convert the files over to Giga? Or is it better just to wait for the GigaStudio version to come out? Gary

Jeannot Welter
07-08-2004, 11:25 AM
GOS 2 is going to be available later this summer or early this fall for both Kontakt and HALion 3. Given the mystery around GS 3, nobody knows....

JW.

kitekrazy
07-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I hope they still keep the original GOS library. It's one of the most affordable string libraries for those with a smaller budget.

Per Lichtman
07-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Any word yet on GOS 1 to GOS 2 upgrade prices? That's what I'd like to know.

Garritan
07-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Any word yet on GOS 1 to GOS 2 upgrade prices? That's what I'd like to know.
Per,

I haven't decided yet. I want it to be attractive and to show my appreciate for those who supported GOS1. I am open to suggestions.

Gary Garritan

Per Lichtman
07-12-2004, 04:39 AM
It's difficult to find an effective criteria for making such suggestions. The most obvious one of course is self-interest but there are other factors in play. Though I personally bought GOS Advanced after the last round of updates, many people benefitted from large amounts of updates at no extra cost. I think that went a long way towards showing your appreciation for people that showed their support.

That said, there are a couple external reference points and considerations to take into account. First off, and this is probably one of the less important things, is whether current incentives (e.g. SCL discounts, etc.) will apply to the upgrade. Second, is an evaluation of other upgrade practices. If one library builds significantly upon another, then the price is usually limited to the value of the difference. But if the content is entirely original, then the price reduction might be smaller (%15-20 might seem appropriate.)

Personally, I would feel a lot more appreciated paying %75-80 or less than the full price as an existing user and at %50 it pretty much becomes a guaranteed upgrade but I really don't know what feels right for you so that's just me spitballing. I hope that helps.

Per Lichtman
07-13-2004, 02:39 AM
I just realized that the first sentence of my last post was awkward and easy to misinterpret. I apologize, I was running on significantly less than five hours of sleep. What I meant was that I thought it would be cool if existing users payed %75-80 of the full price for the new library but that I wouldn't even have to think if I only payed %50 (if the library is anything like expect that is.) I hope that helps to make things clearer. I apologize for my muddled communication.

williemyers
07-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Gary,

When figuring an upgrade price from GOS I ->GOS II, it might be worth noting that (a.) if "II" will be Kontakt/HALion only (initially) and most (if not all) of us original "I" users are Giga, we'll have to look in to purchase new sampler software, as well as the new library. It could get *very* expensive and make the upgrade a non-runner for existing users.

bill myers, composer

Houston Haynes
07-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey Gary - as a (registered) HALion3, Kontakt and GigaStudio user, I must confess that I don't suffer from the issue of having to choose platforms. Here's an idea: what about offering a package deal for HALion3 with GOS2? I remember that you had a package deal of GOS with GigaStudio - this could work the same way. HALion3 is both Mac and PC compatible, and has a stand-alone mode so that could work for a lot of folks.

As far as the upgrade price goes - I'd have to say that 50% of retail for GOS2 would be a great deal for upgraders. Since you're building off of totally different samples from a different mic position, it's like getting a completely new set of ensemble instruments to work with. Also, I think that folks would be glad to pay for the long-term support you offer with a very generous update policy.

I'm looking forward to GOS2 and the Stradaveri Solo Strings - but have a hard time imagining where you get the time to program for all of the killer sampler platforms. With the amazing work in GPO and the Kontakt player, I can't wait to see what you do with HALion3, and maybe some day GS3 as well. Other sample developers will be reverse engineering your programming for years to come. :D

Keep up the good work!

Garritan
07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Bill,

I understand your concern. GOS2 was to be a Gigastudio product. It was 24 bit and did not work in Giga 160. GOS2 has advanced features that would have taken advantage of GigaStudio 3, such as MIDI control features and impulses. So we did as much as we could do, and waited...and waited...and are still waiting.

We have been waiting for Giga 3 for over two years and indications are that Giga 3 will be released in the next few weeks. At that time we will evaluate it for stability and features. We will also survey the first crop of Giga 3 libraries to see where innovations can be made. Once we thoroughly study the platform and decide what we will do.

Gary Garritan

J. Whaley
07-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Gary, for what it's worth I say release GOS 2 in kontakt. And I'd love to see a GOS1 upgrade to kontakt. Then all your libs will be in the same format. Then if tascam ever actually releases GS3, you could evaluate if you want to use it or not, but at least it won't be holding you up. In the mean time you could have some really cool innovation with the kontakt format. I think if we could get a bunch of us (like we all have time for this) to work on a collective reprogramming of GOS1 into kontakt, the samples themselves are still fantastic. It's just with the new features that kontakt introduced that GS can't do, there's a lot more that could be done with GOS. That's my 2.

J-

Houston Haynes
07-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Gary, for what it's worth I say release GOS 2 in kontakt. And I'd love to see a GOS1 upgrade to kontakt. Then all your libs will be in the same format.

Well - I can tell you that GOS 1 converts into Kontakt pretty well as it is. However, I actually got HAlion2 first, and that did a better job with Giga conversion earlier, and is still my first choice as a sampler. Once HALion 3 shows up, it should be a totally new ball game - better editor, effects, nd best of all - better logical processing of articulations through a more advanced Megatrig. GOS 2 in HALion 3 is going to rock. ;)

With GOS 1 you must use the Maestro Tools as a separate articulation control tool, whether you convert to Kontakt or HALion. It's very likely that with GOS 2, the kind of things that Maestro Tools does can now be handled in Kontakt or HALion right "out of the box".

Personally, I'd rather see the folks at Garritan work with 24-bit source samples for the new library (from a new mic position, no less) rather than re-hashing a product that stands pretty well on it's own.

Per Lichtman
07-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Personally, I'd rather see the folks at Garritan work with 24-bit source samples for the new library (from a new mic position, no less) rather than re-hashing a product that stands pretty well on it's own.

I completely agree. I can understand that the situation is different if you only have one sampler and that isn't fully supported yet though. I'm still bummed that Spectrasonics never made an SOV version that took advantage of the GS format. *sniff* *sniff*

JWB
07-14-2004, 10:01 AM
I know it's kinda late in the game, but I would really like to see a GOS2 "Lite" version released for Kontakt. Maybe even an upgrade price could be established for existing registered "Lite" users? Any word on that?