PDA

View Full Version : Piano Concerto in B Minor - 3rd Movment (Allegro Scherzando)

Christopher_Reeves
06-25-2004, 03:28 PM
The last 5 or 6 months I have been working on my piano concerto and now I'm finally done with it. This is the 3rd Movement...If you want...I could post up the first movement and second movements. This movement is marked Allegro Scherzando and is about 9:15 minutes long...I know it is a big download but I've gotten some good comments on it so download it!

Download it here:
http://www.vipstudiosonline.com/mp3/GPO-pianoconcertom3.mp3

Everything in here is done by Garritan Personal Orchestra...and I performed the piano part in myself using a midi piano. Please give me your comments.
Thanks.

Tom Hopkins
06-25-2004, 03:44 PM
My goodness, Christopher, this is jaw-droppingly good work. First of all, let me hear those other two movements!!! I can't tell you how satisfying it is to hear someone take my programming and create something like this. "Concert" works of this sort are what I was (personally) most hoping to hear from users when we introduced this library. Absolutely lovely. Thanks so much for posting this, you've made my day.

Tom

Thomas Regin
06-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Chris,

Absolutely wonderful !

I love the way you mix classical music with the jazzy phrases. The tempo/meter changes are very clever, and the piece itself is remarkably harmonic and well suited for romantic christmas movies! ;)

Fantastic job!.. Nothing else to say here!

/thomas regin.

PianoMan
06-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Masterfully done, bravo! I'm curious though: what piano did you use in this piece?

Jeff Turner
06-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Christopher,

This is quite an impressive debut that you made today. Absolutely stunning!
This one gets downloaded into my mp3 library. It deserves multiple listenings. Thanks.

Jeff

Haydn
06-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Excellent! Really enjoyed this piece. I would love to hear the other movements.

Sicmu
06-25-2004, 09:40 PM
It's nice to listen a real composition that is not simply a demo made only to showcase a sample library.
It's well composed and orchestrated skillfully : I like the first section with its rythmic and harmonic vitality, it's refreshing. The slow middle section was less interesting to me : it was static and more predictable.
I don't understand the end of the movement, apparently it will be also the end of the concerto ?I really would like to listen to the others movements to appreciate the whole work.
It's sounds good except the strings , in the upper register: they synthetic.

leogardini
06-25-2004, 09:58 PM
What a great piece...wow , I liked it a lot!!!

Hardy Heern
06-26-2004, 03:43 AM
Jesus Chris!!!.....very classy, 'world class' composition and realisation. At the opening I thought it was going to be too avante garde for my taste but No! You cleverly hold it in check with a wonderful balance which I think shows great skill. Six months well spent....thanks for the listen. I'm a melodic Adagio man at heart so please load up the other movements.

Will this be your entry in the live orchestra competition? If it is you've just raised the bar to a level which most of us will just walk under!;)

I like this in the way that I like Ravel's Piano concerto in G, which I luckily heard in the car a few years ago, which is quite lyrical until the first 'mistake'.....you know what I mean if you know the piece.

I can also empathise with Tom Hopkin's heartfelt appreciation of your work....I have enjoyed, in a small way, the tremendous satisfaction of having people use something which you have created.

I've commented many times on how impressive the GPO piano is; from 'rags' to riches! Sicmu is right though... the strings are a little synthetic in a few places but they are for short duration and are immediately fogotten as the piece progresses. A little MIDI tweaking could probably perfect even this....but where do you stop?

I know what Sicmu means but I don't quite agree about the middle section as I think it is saved just in time.....which again is such a clever trick. It makes me feel somewhat churlish to make these comments about such a marvellous piece.

However I think postings, like music, should have balance (as in your piece) otherwise the whole thing becomes sickly sycophantic and not honest....... to the point of comedy. (Sorry Gary :) )

I thought your production was excellent too....any tips on reverb, equalisation, compression? or was this just straight ambience reverb and talent!!!:)

Frank

Chinablu
06-26-2004, 03:54 AM
In italian I would say: "249 dollari spesi benissimo". In English it should sound like: "We all did a very good thing when we bought GPO" (please, correct me, thank you :-).

Great work

Chin@blu(e)

Christopher_Reeves
06-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunatly, you can't even begin to really apprieciate the third movement until you've heard the first movement; many of the themes used in the first movement is used in the third. The second movement, however, is completly different in style, and in key. So the whole concerto is in a "ternary" type form.:) But yes, I will have the first two movements up soon.

As for the strings sounding synthy, can you tell me where?...I was in a hurry when I was sequencing this out so it may not sound up to par in that catagory in some places...but I hope compositionally it's okay...

Nicole
06-26-2004, 11:22 AM
As for the strings sounding synthy, can you tell me where?...I was in a hurry when I was sequencing this out so it may not sound up to par in that catagory in some places...but I hope compositionally it's okay...

I wouldnt worry to much about that or any other critisism. It stands alone as a composition and is great. Any sort of critisism you get is subjective and only the opinion of others. I would leave it as is:)

Hardy Heern
06-26-2004, 11:26 AM
I wouldnt worry to much about that or any other critisism. It stands alone as a composition and is great. Any sort of critisism you get is subjective and only the opinion of others. I would leave it as is:)Nicole's right! If you tweaked it to suit someone then it wouldn't suit someone else.

I repeat..."It makes me feel somewhat churlish to make these comments about such a marvellous piece. "

This subjective criticism is only addressed to 0.1% of your realistation and isn't even criticising the compostition....don't take it too seriously.

I think we ought to use the word 'comment'. I think the word 'criticise' means different things to different people and implies too much negativity for most.

Also, do remember that all the world;s greatest pieces are discussed and debated to death by those who couldn't do it themselves and disregards the fact that the piece may well be loved by millions!!:) This debate doesn't detract from or change the composition at all does it? Don't forget that, without exception, everyone has loved this. That's what matters.

Regards

Frank

Frederick
06-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Christopher, this is really quite good! I really loved the Chick Corea like chord changes in your piano playing - very interesting in a orchestral setting. All in all an extraordinary piece - well done!

All My Best,

Chananda
06-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Great piece Chris!

It's sounds good except the strings , in the upper register: they synthetic.

Sicmu, upper register strings kind of sound that way no matter which sample library you have. Personally I think this piece needs to evolve out of the sample realm into the loving hands of a live orchestral setting - its that good. If that is the goal, having a midi mockup works just fine in my opinion.

Again, excellent work Chris. I hope you can see this performed by a real orchestra - I'm sure that's what you may have in mind.

Jaibulu
06-27-2004, 10:07 AM
All that needs to be said is, "It's a winner"!

Sicmu
06-27-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry of the reactions my post arouse, I'm new on this forum and I'm surprised how even small critic such as mine is unwelcome : if the only thing to do when we post is to flatter the GPO or the composer,its sure that makes everybody happy but it's not so constructive.
Criticism is something any composer have to face:up to him to select what he can improve or ignore (remember the symphonies of Bruckner or the finale of the first of Brahms and Walton).
I agree( because I have also a composer training ) that music is frst an foremost a matter of composition and technicaly this work is a very good one:
subtile orchestration and very interersting piano part.
I just wonder about the meaning of this work because sometimes the combination of diiferent styles is not appealing to me, I agree that this point is subjective but I is a reason to ignore it ?
As a composer I think the sound libraries are very useful but I confirm that the strings sound pretty synthetic ( and it's not so subjective) in the upper register and I agree it's a big issue of sample libraries today.Nevertheless I could be improved with other samples as a lot of demo demonstrate on this forum.
I'm still eager to listen the two others movements to appreciate the whole work.

Jeff Turner
06-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Sicmu,

To me to me the comment that the "strings sound synthetic" is criticism, but not constructive. I think it might me more beneficial for you to specify what elements sound synthetic and how you would fix it yourself. EQ changes, attacks, layering samples, etc... In reality this is all synthetic, we're just trying to fool the ear.

Chris in a follow-up post asked where you thought it sounded synthy. You need to be specific.

My personal policy is to not criticize a piece unless I could do better myself. I'm still learning this technology and it's much more helpful for me to read specific steps for improvement that experienced users give.

Jeff

Blackster
06-27-2004, 03:52 PM
A very nice piece to listen to! Very good! Want to hear more of that kind of music! :)

Greeting,

Blackster

DPDAN
06-28-2004, 02:15 AM
let's all be nice,,,,,,

let's not compare music or each other,,,,,
when we hear it, we will either like it or not.

I like all of what I have heard so far in this thread, and I am pleased with the quality of mixing from a sample library.

I have yet to hear samples of strings that can fool me, but it's sure fun trying......... so there :)

mistahamma
06-28-2004, 03:53 PM
Wow -- this is absolutely incredible! Fantastic piano work, and wonderful arrangement in general. I love the glockenspiel dancing around on top of things. It just has a nice, playful, bouncy, airy feel to the whole thing. Perfect for the Boston Pops! Love to hear the other movements as well. As far as the synthy comments -- there's a certain strident character to the upper mid range of some of the string patches that seems to jump out a with a little more artificial character than others, but it's nothing that a little wash of reverb wouldn't disguise--maybe make the strings a little bit more wet? Outstanding job -- looking forward to the rest!

Jim

Christopher_Reeves
06-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Criticism does not bother me, I just wanted to know where Sicmu was talking about so I can take a look at it. Although it wasn't extreamly construction, I actually thank Sicmu for his criticism. And Gary, I wouldn't mind having this up in the demo section. Just tell me what I've gotta do to get it up there. Later.

Sicmu
06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Christopher,
I apologize if I was a little harsh, it wasn't my point , maybe it's because I 'm not fluent enough in english to be more subtile. I know that there is a lot of work in your concerto and it certainly deserves a performance with a real orchestra : you know perfectly how to write for orchestra.
My opinion about the meaning of the music is subjective and you can ignore it but what I noticed about some details in the sound of the violins was not so subjective and I sincerely think that cou can fix it.
I'm a jazzpianist and a composer like you and I posted some music I wrote because one told me it's the first thing to do before criticism and I agree : it makes more sense to my comments , I posted also a reply describing the timing of the "violins passages" you asked for : if I was clumsy I didn't insult anybody.
My goal is to take the best from several librairies to make the piece sounds the best, maybe I was on the wrong forum to discuss this but it's diificult to find a forum dedicated to composing process.

Garritan
06-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Thank you for you participation Simu and you are most welcomed here.

Hardy, let's keep this thread focused on Christopher's Piano Concerto. Collateral issues can be discussed on a separate thread in the GPO General Discussion area.

Gary Garritan

Hardy Heern
06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE=Garritan]Thank you for you participation Simu and you are most welcomed here.

Hardy, let's keep this thread focused on Christopher's Piano Concerto. Collateral issues can be discussed on a separate thread in the GPO General Discussion area.

Looks good...:)

Frank

Alan Lastufka
06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
Chris,

I'm glad Gary told me about this thread, beautiful stuff man!

I can't wait to hear some of your other pieces, post often...

Gil
07-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Christopher,
I can't access the page anymore : can you repost it please as it seems to be a wonderfull work!
Thank you.
Gil.

RickH
07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Christopher,
I can't access the page anymore : can you repost it please as it seems to be a wonderfull work!
Thank you.
Gil.
Looks like the domain name registration expired the end of June. Maybe we could get Gary to put the piece up on the GPO demo page.

R.
==

Hardy Heern
07-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Chris,

How am I going to be able to plagiarise this for the competition unless you re-establish the link? :)

Frank

PianoMan
07-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Darn, that will teach me to download and store these gems... I was just in the mood to listen to this song again... is it coming back?

Chiseen
07-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Wow!I wish I could create such a beautiful narrative style. It reminds me alot of Joe Hisaishi's work his 'Studio Ghibli' soundtracks (e.g. Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro etc.).

Quality!

Karl Garrett
07-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Just want to add my name to all those who have said that this piece is just magnificent. So glad itŐs back up for all to enjoy.

Karl

Gary M. Thomas
07-08-2004, 08:13 AM
Christopher, good job. I enjoyed your composition very much. Keep up the good work........ GT

BDoggWhite
07-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Bravo! I'm new to this...that was definately inspiration.

kejero
07-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Nothing more to add - but that on itself is worth mentioning :)

JMCannon
07-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Christopher:

Magnificent composing and outstanding orchestrating. Perhaps you could tell all of us what computer you used (brand, model, CPU, RAM) and what sequencer also.

I'm sure all of us would love to hear the first and second movements.

Really great, Christopher

John

SteveHanlon
07-27-2004, 10:15 PM
well, man, super duper fine job!! Just the energy to undertaking such a work is inspiring to me!

One small criticism of a part that stuck out for me:

@ 3:06 when piano solos starts out, nice enough with mid-piano range in the left hand!...But I'm thinking as it progresses in this solo section, if the left hand could play lower notes in the accompaniment to fill it out and give contrast to the mid-heavy sound of this solo. My ear just wants to hear some lower range maybe starting approx. at 3:17 but no later than 3:27. Just to fill it out a bit.

Otherwise, harmonically, rhythmically inspiring and nice to hear Garriton's Orch. too!

Garritan
08-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Christopher,
Thank you.
Gil.
I thought this work requires a well-deserved BUMP

Gil: Here is is a link to Christopher;s Piano Concerto mirrored on the GPO site: http://www.garritan.com/mp3/cr-GPO-pianoconcertom3.mp3

Gary Garritan