PDA

View Full Version : More from "Running Deep" Soundtrack

Skysaw
06-22-2004, 09:58 AM
I thought I'd post this unusual piece I've scored for a frantic scene I'm working on for my film gig. It's about 85% GPO.

A father and son desperately try to revive the second son, who has overdosed on drugs. The father begins pounding on his son's chest, giving him CPR, while the other son is clumsily dialing 911, and yelling into the phone.

The scoring is unusual in its use of very low woodwinds:

Bass Clarinet
2 Contrabass Clarinets
Contrabassoon
Contrabass Tuba
Bass Drum
Gong
Clay drums
Misc. electronic sounds

overdose.mp3 (http://www.allhands.com/mp3/soundtrack/overdose.mp3) 1.14 MB

I can't post the film version publicly, but if anyone is curious and has Quicktime (it's an mp4), I can point you to the file. Just send me a PM.

- Jamie

Dimora
06-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Very very cool use of low woodwinds! The texture and intonation indended for the winds came through really clearly! Very nice!

jmc
06-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Wow, Skysaw this an excellent cue, really creative. Contrabassoon is so scary; it's the ultimate instrument of suspense. You'll have to keep us posted when the film is done. I would love to see the final product.

Cerrabore
06-23-2004, 02:10 AM
I like those orchestral "screams." What are they exactly?

Skysaw
06-23-2004, 07:28 AM
I like those orchestral "screams." What are they exactly?

I'm not sure what part sounds like a scream to you. The low growling parts are the contrabass clarinets with a whole lot of mod wheel for the swells. The low grinding melody is a contrabasoon. The echoing parts that first appear at about 0:30, and the occasional metalic scraping noises are from one of my keyboards (Alesis QS7.1).

Cerrabore
06-23-2004, 02:22 PM
The metal scraping, then. Sounded sort of like screams to me.

dewdman42
06-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Very cool...I dug that big time.