PDA

View Full Version : "Elephantopia" - new song with GPO

mschiff
06-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I just finished this piece this evening. It is VERY different than my normal fare. Hope you enjoy it. Any suggestions appreciated.

It uses the GPO bassoon and oboe, Percussive Adventures 2 lite, Atmosphere for the bass and yours truly on trombone.

It's called Elephantopia for reasons that should become obvious when you listen.

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/elephantopia.mp3

-- Martin

musicpete
06-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Wow, this is funny: I come here on the forum, download 2 demos and both are absolutely brilliant!!!

This piece rocks! Very funny and I enjoyed it very much! Those trombone glissandos combined with the panning echo are a hooter. I also liked how the basssoon came out in a realistic manner. Nice modwheel work!

Would you mind telling me which reverb you use?

Greetings and keep up the good work!

Peter

mschiff
06-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks Peter!

I used the Sonitus reverb that comes with Sonar. It's one of my favorites.
I also used a slight bit of reverb on the whole mix with Izotope Ozone.

-- Martin

trentpmcd
06-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Very interesting, particularly the percussion. Gives it a bit of a jungle sound while still sounding like a modern western piece. The title reminds me of "Elephant Talk" by King Crimson. Actually, the bass reminds of some of King Crimson's music.

It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this.

Nicole
06-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Now this is different from what im used to! I have nothing to critique:) Its a style in its own :)

mschiff
06-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks Trent,

I did have a lot of fun with it.

It has been a few years since I had played the trombone, so it was fun to get back into it. I did pinch my little finger with the slide though. :o

-- Martin

mschiff
06-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Now this is different from what im used to! I have nothing to critique:) Its a style in its own :)

Nicole,

I'm not sure whether that means you enjoyed it, or hated it. ;)

Thanks for listenening.

-- Martin

Garritan
06-13-2004, 09:38 PM
My Gosh! I really liked this listening adventure.

I can see why you named it as you did - everything else would be irrelephant...:D
Very unique and in a jungle of its own.

Enjoyed your trombone playing. Hope you don't mind if this stomps its way into the GPO demo page zoo.

Gary Garritan

mschiff
06-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Gary,

I would be honored to have Elephantopia amongst the elephantine talents that abide on the GPO website!

Thanks!

-- Martin

PS I played the song for my son and a female friend of his last night and asked them to help me come up with a good name. My son nailed it after we went back and forth for a while!

mschiff
06-21-2004, 12:42 AM
I made some changes to Elephantopia that I feel have improved it. Instead of the solo oboe 1, I used the Solo oboe d'amore, and I like it much better in this context. I also adjusted the levels a bit and made a few other minor changes. Let me know if you like this one better.

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/elephantopia2.mp3

-- Martin