PDA

View Full Version : Demo - Where Things Will Fall

Skysaw
06-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Here's my latest demo. Still needs a little work (mostly balance, and expression), but I wanted to share:

Where Things Will Fall (http://www.allhands.com/mp3/classical/wherethings.mp3)

Orchestration:
1 Flute
1 English Horn
1 Bass Clarinet
3 Horns
1 Tuba
Celesta
Harp
Glockenspiel
Tubular Bells
Full Strings

This is a reworking of an old orchestral/electronic piece I did some years ago. It's one of two pieces I've given the producers of the film I'm scoring that may be used for the opening credits.

Opinions, both harsh and friendly, are appreciated.

Styxx
06-10-2004, 10:31 AM
OK, aside from what you are doing with this piece here was my immediate reaction. I played back the video of Venus traveling across the Sun while playing your piece. Gave it a whole new perspective (Venus that is).
As for the piece itself, I love works like this. On the lines like Williams and Holst.
Awesome.
;)

guybrush threepwood
06-10-2004, 10:47 AM
I like very much the way the strings sound in it
could you be more specific with strings use?
which patches did you use? only sus+short? if so, all the time with pedal, or did you changed pedaling in places?

Karl Garrett
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
This is quite lovely. I feel it will make excellent musical support for the opening credits. ItŐs lush, without being in your face. The GPO instruments blend beautifully.

Glad you posted this,

Karl

Blackster
06-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi Skysaw,

nice piece. I enjoyed to listen to it. The amthospheare you create is full of tension and emotions. Really good.

It really fits to the credits you had it composed for. Good work.

Greeting,

Blackster

trentpmcd
06-10-2004, 03:30 PM
This is very intersting. I don't have a lot to say about it it except that I enjoyed listening to it.

Jesse Hopkins
06-10-2004, 03:43 PM
I think it would be very interesting to see this performed. I like the way it "breathes." Nice homepage, too! I will listen to this on my real speakers when I get home.

R. Glenn
06-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Very nice Skysaw. :)

Funny that Styxx mentioned the Venus transit...I get a slight Holst Planet vibe from this.

Anyways, very nice piece indeed. Thank's for sharing. :)

Cheers

Rodney

jmc
06-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Skysaw, I really like the harmonies and the way the piece is structured. A kind of "strange mysterious" that is unsettling and oddly comforting at the same time. I'd love to see the film when it's done.

RichG
06-10-2004, 10:30 PM
I too enjoyed this piece, and I love the use of the bass clarinet. I also like the way you have the little bell "ticking" in the background.

Skysaw
06-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm glad you like it. I'll post an update sometime soon as I polish it. I've been working on several things simultaneously, so I may be stopped at the pre-polish mode for awhile.

Here's the instrumentation in the posted version:

Flute Solo V
English Horn 1 Solo
Bass Clarinet Solo
French Horn 1 Solo (Two instances -- Hn I/Hn III)
French Horn 2 Solo (Hn II)
Tuba 2 Solo
Chromatic Harp 1 Lite
Celesta
Glockenspiel
Tubular Bells
Vlns 1 Lush
Vlns 2 Lush
Violas Lush
Cellos Lush
Violas Pizzicato
Cellos Pizzicato
Basses Pizzicato
Cello 1 solo
Cello 3 solo

The string use is pretty simple so far. I haven't done any ensemble-building or anything, and haven't even really done much with expression yet. The two solo cellos have one note each, when they very quietly play an open fifth at the end.

FossMan
06-12-2004, 01:30 PM
I gotta be honest: when I first looked at your orchestration (especially tuba with no other low brass to supplement it) I thought, "Now that's about as weird as I've ever seen." But you know what? It works! Very well done. As others mentioned, this work has a very atmospheric effect. The only suggestion I'd have (and this is very un-important) is to try modulating through different keys--it might lend itself even moreso to the wandering feeling of the piece.

Oksi Moron
06-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Jamie,

Every piece you've posted has made a hit with me. I always look forward to hearing your stuff.

Greg

nexus
06-12-2004, 06:47 PM
:) I agree with Oksi's comments and would add that your compositions are what I play for people asking about GPO. One forgets one is listening to a sampled orchestra.

I am building a CD of your works. Your compositions are very 'open' and atmospheric. Good work!!

KevinKauai
06-13-2004, 06:48 AM
This piece would certainly "dress up" any film for which it used as opening music. Has a vaguely "Merchant-Ivory" feeling to it (and reminds me tangentially of Richard Robbins music for the opening of "The Remains of the Day").

Bravo!

Kev

Skysaw
06-13-2004, 11:11 AM
I gotta be honest: when I first looked at your orchestration (especially tuba with no other low brass to supplement it) I thought, "Now that's about as weird as I've ever seen." But you know what? It works!

I love exploring new combinations in instrumentation. I find that the tuba makes a very natural bass voice for a french horn duo or trio. Its tone is actually very similar to that of the horn, especially at lower dynamic levels, so it didn't seem strange to me at all.

I believe just about any combination of instruments can be used effectively, depending on the piece itself. Among my more unusual ideas were:

1. Duet for classical guitar and tuba
2. Trio for alto flute, basson, and harp
3. Trio for three pianos

The last one I wrote while a student at Oberlin, which performed the piece in my sophmore year. I remember my composition teacher pointing out the window at two men wheeling a sideways concert grand across campus on a flat dolly. "That's for your piece," he said. "They only have two pianos in the concert hall. Every time they move that, it costs the college $300." I felt very important and guilty at the same time. The piece was only 4 minutes long.

Nicole
06-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Very atmospheric as they say. Sorta brings a mystery with it, unsettling yet settling? Very nice work:) Is this for film? I didnt read thru and just hit play on the link:) Sometimes I like to get an impression without an explenation:)

Cerrabore
06-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Sounds very nice, reminds me of Jeremy Soule's work for the Harry Potter games.

I must confess, though, that the ticking glockenspiel note got on my nerves a little.

robgb
06-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Simply put: brilliant. Beautiful, haunting, the kind of piece that I'll bet gave you chills when you recorded it (isn't that a great feeling?).

rgb