View Full Version : Tips for selling yourself at GDC

04-14-2004, 09:56 PM
I captured a segment off G4\'s show \"Pulse\" about getting business via GDC. It follows an aspiring composer/audio guy as he goes to GDC and hits a few booths and chats with some seasoned pros. It\'s pretty interesting. If you\'re interested in seeing it, post a response in this thread.. if I get enough response, I\'ll encode it and upload it.

Scott Cairns
04-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Sounds very interesting Sam. Count me in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

04-14-2004, 10:04 PM
I\'ve been advised that this might be a copyright violation. Is it? It\'s on cable afterall...but then again, cable does cost $ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sorry then, don\'t post a response in this thread.. the URL will not be posted here.

Have a great day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

04-15-2004, 09:04 AM
the URL will not be posted here.

[/ QUOTE ]
DOH! You had me excited for a minute.

04-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Actually, watch this thread. I\'m in the process of getting permission from G4 to post it. Stay tuned.

04-15-2004, 04:25 PM
count me in please

04-15-2004, 09:13 PM
The show was very interesting. I would\'ve not known about it until my buddy (one of the editors for \"Pulse\") told me about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess I didn\'t realize that GDC was like a job fair in a way, huh? I\'ll really have to focus on going next time!

(The show usually replays throughout the week in case you miss an epsiode like this again.)

04-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Sweet, G4 says OK. But they want me to use their clip, which they are encoding and putting on an FTP site for me. I\'ll have an update next week.

04-15-2004, 11:20 PM
I\'d certainly like to catch it either on the channel or online. Shows like that are always interesting, and it\'s great to see such a rare topic being covered.

04-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Very cool! Can\'t wait. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

04-16-2004, 08:02 PM

For broadband users: http://www.g4tv.com/html/videostream.asp?file=G4_PULSE_GDCDocumentary.wmv (\"http://www.g4tv.com/html/videostream.asp?file=G4_PULSE_GDCDocumentary.wmv\")

For dialup users: http://www.g4tv.com/html/videostream.asp?file=G4_PULSE_GDCDocumentary_LO.wm v (\"http://www.g4tv.com/html/videostream.asp?file=G4_PULSE_GDCDocumentary_LO.wm v\")

04-17-2004, 04:52 AM
Definitely worth the watch. Thanks Sam for posting it.

04-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Great clip, thanks Sam!

Brian McBrearty
04-17-2004, 08:25 AM
It took a bit of effort for you to share this. It\'s greatly appreciated.

04-17-2004, 10:28 AM
No prob, guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I went to the GDC for about 4-5 days, and I brought around 25 demo cd\'s. I quickly learned that I didn\'t bring nearly as many as I should\'ve as I ran out of them by the 3rd day.

To me though, the GDC wasn\'t really the place for composers. Even though I passed out my CD\'s to all the \'major\' companies, they all pretty much said, \"We already got an in-house composer,\", or \"no, we\'re not interested - but we\'ll take a demo cd anyway!\" So the only real benefits of attending the GDC (for composers) are the seminars - none of which that I attended. I only had an \'expo pass\' which gets you access to nothing but the expo grounds. If you\'re gonna go, buy the \'audio pass\' or higher (around $500 I believe).

There were a few highlights of my stay there - got to chat with Doyle a little bit, met Bill Brown briefly (more like, I said hi, he said hi, and he had to go.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), and the G.a.n.g awards <-- the nerdiest awards ceremony you\'ll ever attend.

After the GDC, alot of the \'big dawgs\' of the gaming industry hung out in the Fairmont Hotel lobby, chatting and getting wasted. I had the pleasure of meeting some sales guy from Seattle who was absolutely drunk, talked like his mouth was numb about how to market games, blabbed about, \"the Ungrateful Dead\", and his job which, \"earns me $130,000 a year! HAW HAW... *sip* *chug* *burp*.\" I also had some French lady from Paris sit next to me, and I asked her what her business was at the GDC (tactfully), and she gave me an arrogant look and said, \"I\'m vaiting for my pahrty.\" She never made eye contact, gawked around, and just got up and left. RUDE!

For someone my age, there is nothing to do in San Jose. From what I hear there are just a bunch of clubs. So after I was kicked out of my hotel at 12 PM (flight leaves at 8 PM), I aimlessly walked around San Jose with all my luggage. I got to go to the IMAX Dome theater, but the movie was something about NASCAR... Who GIVES a crap about Nascar!.. ugh...

Finally I got to the airport, had a few chats with fellow GDC\'ers, and arrived home. Maybe it takes a little time, but the only \'benefits\' that I\'ve gotten from my trip were a multitude of brochures, aching feet, an empty wallet, and a deal of knowledge about the game industry\'s competition - cutthroat to say the very least.

So if you go, bring 50+ demo CD\'s, and buy an audio pass.

04-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Great insight A_Sapp.

Anyone else got a little story about going to GDC?

guybrush threepwood
04-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, Aaron, your music is extremely talented so as soon as one of those 50 CD\'s is listened by the right person you\'ll prolly be called.

I wish I could go to GDC or E3, even though my music is not as good, it\'s obvious that i would have more opportunities than sitting here in madrid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

04-25-2004, 02:56 AM
arent\'t there any spanish game developers?

guybrush threepwood
04-25-2004, 03:52 AM
Several small ones which start games which never get finished (i\'m in one of them, btw) and only 1 big one, Pyro Studios, the one which made the Commandos series, where it\'s quite difficult to enter.

There\'s a very nice community of developers in Spain (graphic artists, coders, musicians, etc) with impressive skills, http://www.stratos-ad.com (\"http://www.stratos-ad.com\") , but in the end everyone ends up moving to USA or UK to get a decent job in the industry

04-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Aaron, your music is extremely talented

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean \"HE is extremely talented\" hehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

guybrush threepwood
04-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Aaron, your music is extremely talented

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean \"HE is extremely talented\" hehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I have the right to speak lousy english since I\'m from spain, no? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

04-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Well I think part of being an artist is selling yourself. So you went throught the motions, but who knows. Maybe an opportunity or another contact will come from that.

04-25-2004, 09:32 PM
So the only real benefits of attending the GDC (for composers) are the seminars

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? Lots of pros will disagree with that statement. I\'ve never been to GDC, so I don\'t know what it\'s like or how my experience will turn out next year.. it may be very very similar to yours. But I\'ve heard people say that GDC is a great way to land a gig, or at the very least, network and get your name/music out there.

04-27-2004, 05:34 PM
The impression that I got was it was a good place for sound designers, sound programmers, and audio engineers (difference between the three?). If you\'re just a composer starting out without a slew of credentials under your belt you have a narrow chance of getting considered. Then again, it hasn\'t been that long at all since it has ended, so my speculation may be premature - but I still wouldn\'t attend the GDC again without at least an audio pass.