PDA

View Full Version : Direct Music

Marcussen
04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi... anyone had experience with direct music? and how used is it?

I once tried it out and found it attocious to work with... but I might have to learn it anyway I guess...

His Frogness
04-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Are you speaking of DirectMusic the API or DirectMusicProducer the application?

I\'m assuming the latter, cause this isn\'t a forum for programmers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DMP is ok. The newest version is called Xact. It comes with some very involved tutorials and you can find even more tutorials on the net. If you designate a couple days to go through the tutorials you\'d have a good enough grasp to do most of the things DMP can do.

Theres a good article about DirectMusic at IASIG (\"http://www.iasig.org/pubs/features/ic0101.shtml\")

Marcussen
04-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Right, ill check it out... one simple question...

Is it possible to use ones giga liberaries and VI\'s for sound? I seem to recall some special instrument format

cmrick
04-14-2004, 11:14 AM
You\'d have to convert them to DLS banks... which I\'m pretty sure would be illegal if you were to actually distribute them in a game.

John DeBorde
04-14-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You\'d have to convert them to DLS banks... which I\'m pretty sure would be illegal if you were to actually distribute them in a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention way more of a memory hit than you would probably be allowed.

Marcussen
04-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Right.. I guess DM wont be an option for me then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

His Frogness
04-15-2004, 02:05 AM
We should all get together and create some decent DLS libraries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marcussen
04-15-2004, 02:12 AM
So when a comoser gets hired to do a score with DM then what? He has to by some liberaries or how does that work?

guybrush threepwood
04-15-2004, 02:31 AM
I really didn\'t think DM was used anymore. Recalling all games I\'ve played lately, they use clips of compressed audio (mp3 before, now ogg everywhere) triggered by some events to get the dinamic feeling.

Marcussen
04-15-2004, 02:40 AM
good.. I hope thats the case, since I dont ever want to learn DM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif