PDA

View Full Version : What's the best sound card for GigaStudio?

enb141
04-11-2002, 02:17 PM
I want to know that\'s the best sound card (with lower latency) in the market?

lifeforce
04-14-2002, 08:53 PM
First, it should be GSIF compatible (see hardware requirements under \"products\" at www.nemesysmusic.com). (\"http://www.nemesysmusic.com).\")

Then it all depends on your purpose for using GS and on your set up. Lots of other modules and a hardware mixer? How many digital ins and outs will you need ? How many analog ins and outs ? How many MIDI connections and what kind of interface? There are many variables here. Everybody\'s set up is different and you FIRST have to zero in on the GSIF compatible card or cards that accomodate the particular connections you\'ll need. THEN you can start to zero in on low latency issues which still aren\'t JUST a card issue. -LifeForce

enb141
04-15-2002, 08:03 AM
I just need one stereo output, 1 midi keyboard connected, tecnically I need a sound card for a live sampler with my PC

lifeforce
04-15-2002, 10:01 AM
I have a very simple Win98se set up (but with two fast hard drives) and use the TerraTec EWX2496 card because:

1) Its GSIF compatible.
2) Its cheap ! (around $179)
3) It has a midi adapter for my keyboard as well as one pair of analog ins, one pair of analog outs, one digital in and one digital out.

If your set up is simple too you might want to check it out. -LifeForce

enb141
04-15-2002, 05:12 PM
That one sounds good, and what about a DSP sound card like creamware luna II. Do I need DSP\'s ?

Z6
04-16-2002, 12:11 PM
You might want to look at the M-Audio 2496 and the Echo Mia also. I have the M-Audio and it works a treat.

These and the card mentioned already by Lifeforce are around the same price. For a simple system, all you need is a compatible card and a midi interface (built into the M-Audio). As long as it\'s GSIF compatible that\'s the most important thing. Without the right drivers, you may suffer a lot of latency.

You don\'t need DSP\'s with Giga. Fast (and wide) hard disk, powerful processor, plenty of RAM, the right drivers, and a little luck and you should be good to go.

mal7
04-16-2002, 08:28 PM
I am using Audiophile 2496, with the latest drivers. Mainly use it for EW Steinway B, with \"fair\" latency performance on a P111 IGhz and 512 Mb ram.
Is there any card out there which would give better latency? Or is it just a matter of tweaking to improve latency...

marcuspocus
06-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Ok, it\'s true you maybe don\'t need DSP, but it is still helpfull. Anyway, for your latency issues, i use luna2 in XP with latency set to 3ms, rock solid with 150 notes of polyphony. And i have 32 gsif output, each individually mixed in the luna mixer with realtime dsp effect (which beat the crap outta MOST native effects available btw).

eliam
06-27-2002, 11:54 PM
I have a Luna too here, and I\'m still amazed at the possibilities it offers! There are lots of good quality free dsp plug-ins, which are way more usable (read: stable) than any VST plug-ins I\'ve tried yet. But I must warn you: if you buy a Luna, you\'re exposing yourself to severe DSP addiction!!! images/icons/smile.gif

marcuspocus
06-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Man, you couldn\'t get any closer to real hardware synth! That\'s real hardware performance (0, like in zero latency) 32bits floating point from in to out calculation. For example of quality, go see zarg music, and listen to their examples. BTW, Zarg music is really in real life John Bowen. Which work on alot of synth for Moog, he has the main ingeneer of the Prophet series, etc, etc... You can listen to what he\'s done, and his resume to convince you of the real thing... Also, the latest Sony Oxford stuff (lot of $) is made on the same Sharc DSP as Creamware, and Sony also use Creamware developement environement for building those (as stated on Sony\'s web site). They said the sound was better on those DSPs than the motorola one\'s (protools anyone?).

Anyway, since i got this card, i don\'t use any vsti now, maybee except some top one (NI FM7, Absynth and that\'s all), they all sound dull to me.

Also, if you like modular stuff like reaktor, there\'s one included in Pulsar (or you can get it separatly on Luna). If you compare it to reaktor, well, reaktor is a nice \'creative\' tool in a lot of way, but for sound, damn, the Mod2 from creamware redefine the word \'phat\' ! images/icons/smile.gif No sound comparaison possible.

If Hanz Zimmer and Jean-Michel Jarre use those synth, they must be somewhat good enough for Hollywood.

enb141
06-28-2002, 11:59 PM
Yeah, that\'s true, and I don\'t know wich creamware sound card

Luna II or Pulsar II, but the bad thing is that Pulsar II it\'s too expensive images/icons/frown.gif

One more question:
Are any good the creamware\'s software synths?
Are easy to program?

Chadwick
06-29-2002, 06:43 AM
John Bowen\'s newest soft synths are the best I\'ve heard in terms of analog emulation. Check out his Prophet and Pro One. Their oscillators just sound great, which I think is an area many soft synths fall down in - even though most people look harder at the filters. Bowen developed many of the original patches for the Prophet 5, and consulted on the Pro 52 by NI. His Prophet sounds better. He\'s also made several other really unusual synths, but it\'s easier to compare apples with apples.

I love my Pulsar II. I just wish we all had 42\" plasma touch screens as control surfaces images/icons/tongue.gif

ricren
06-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Hi folks,
A couple of question to Luna II users:(I\'m considering buy one)

1-How good is the reverv included? Can you compare to any known hardware reverb box?

2-How much is the ADAT option? Anyone using it?

tks for any info on this

Ric

eliam
06-30-2002, 11:05 PM
The masterverb which comes with the Luna2 is a good reverb. I personnaly use another one most of the time, the PTfree, a free plug-in developed by Paul Tanti. Those are not pro-level devices, but I believe they compare with the pro-tools\' basic reverb.

My Luna2 card is the heart of my DAW, and I think you\'ll never regret buying it if you do. Also, the PlanetZ forums are full of lovely people willing to share their wisdom with everyone, and that surely counts, even though It took me a few months to realize it...

Is it about the Vdat that you want some feed-back? If so, my friend marcuspocus could be of help.

www.planetz/forums (\"http://www.planetz/forums\")

ricren
07-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Tks. Eliam for your input.

I was asking for the option board that adds ADAT I/O(lightpipe) to the Luna II card. I can not find a reseller that carries it, and is important for me to go digitally with 8 channels from Giga to the DM24 mixer.

marcuspocus
07-03-2002, 06:42 AM
Well, the ADAT optional plate is sold for about 170 at www.infinitevortex.com (\"http://www.infinitevortex.com\") if i remember well.

Paul the music-man
07-04-2002, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know if the Terratec 6-fire 24/96 card is also gsif-compatible?

Christo7
07-04-2002, 08:09 PM
Sounds like Marcus is the President of sales for Creamware! Tell us Marcus, about the difficulty in configuring the Creamware cards, not real user friendly huh.

eliam
07-04-2002, 08:57 PM
Marcus ain\'t no dealer...! It takes some time to fully grasp the functionning and capabilities of this platform, but it\'s well worth the effort... I\'m not a dealer myself, but I can tell you that I know of no other card which offer such flexibility and amazing variety of devices, many of which are free!

Of course, a big studio mixing board is a bit more complicated to understand than a stereo cassette deck, but I\'d personnaly take the studio console right away, even if it takes me longer to figure out how it works! The SFP platform is incredibly flexible and turns out to be quite simple, when understood... images/icons/wink.gif

marcuspocus
07-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Christo7:
Sounds like Marcus is the President of sales for Creamware! Tell us Marcus, about the difficulty in configuring the Creamware cards, not real user friendly huh.<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, i\'m no dealer of nothing, i\'m not even a pro, just amateur, but i like music. And if i read correctly your question, your really talking about \'configuring\' the card hein? Well, go see creamware site, check manual (you can download them all) and read, you\'ll quickly notice that installation can be resume by :

1- install the card in a free pci slot that is not shared
2- start your os of choice (macos9.*, win98, winme, w2k, winxp)
3- double-click on setup.exe (or whatever is the name for mac people)
4- click \'next\' a couple of times
5- reboot

That\'s all... Now, if i read between lines, your talking about maybe people having a win-something, installed with loads shareware-freeware-crapware, installing cracked software downloaded from unknown source, etc, etc... I think, this is more a window related problem, a bit like Tascam recently acknoledged about the 2min. click bug, it was a windows kernel problem. Inherently, when you install software in windows that conflict or try to overwrite some dll, or i don\'t know what else, you jeopardize the os stability.

Now, just a question, if you buy a soundcard worth 2000$, isn\'t it appropriate to build the PC around the card and not the way around?

BTW, most of the serious guys here, using giga extensivly, will know that to have it perform well is a combination of many things, like good harddisk, good motherboard, higrade memory, good soundcard, etc. Well, for creamware cards, it the same thing.

My DAW is exclusively a DAW (except that i use it also for internet access), only software installed is music software i own. That\'s all, my rig work like a swiss clock!

Jose Pereira
07-05-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi People!
Anybody here uses the Tascam DM24? What do you think about this digital mixer?
I just sold a Mackie 24*8 and Im looking to upgrade to a Digital Mixer. Any suggestions, comments, advice?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Regards
Jose Pereira
Caracas Venezuela