PDA

View Full Version : Best Sequencer and Notation Program

maestro
06-28-2002, 07:18 PM
Which one is the best sequencer and notation program that works with GS under Windows XP?

I use Logic Platinum 5.1.2 so far but it takes me a lot of study to work with this program. I need
another program wich is more \"easy go\" and can mainly perform two jobs:

1)Fast but able to write elaborated musical scores
and being able to make nice score prints. Mouse entry and realtime keyboard entry.

2)Play back midi files through Gigastudio.

I will not use this program for sound recording.

Any help is appreciated.

eliam
06-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I think that most of the notation programs are also sequencers, but maybe not as sophisticated as sequencer-oriented programs like Logic. Logic in itself is not notation-oriented, although I use it and it does what I need to have done (for score edition)... I like having all in one place, I find it simpler in the end...

What do you find complicated about Logic? Sequencing or editing scores? I admit that Logic isn\'t always easy to understand, but the more I know it the more I like it...

There have been threads on that subject. Many here are Sibelius fans, while some prefer Finale. You might make a search, I\'m sure you\'ll find many useful info.

maestro
06-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply eliam.

First of all I used MUSICATOR for more than 5 years to write my scores. It was a handy and fast program but of course has it\'s limitations.

I learned a lot with Logic 5 Platinum but for example the mouse entry is about half of the speed as Musicator was. It\'s true, the more one uses Logic, the more affinity grows for it. But still, it has some problems. For example for 3 days I\'m unable to start the program, because of an error message \"XSKey cannot be found\". I e-mailed customer support, got already an answer but no remedy so far.

I downloaded the trial version of Sibelius, Cubase and Finale. I played with each of them this evening and found FINALE the best of all for my needs.

eliam
06-29-2002, 07:53 PM
A friend of mine works with Finale and he seems to like it a lot... I guess when I\'ll want to edit sophisticated scores, I\'ll export my .mid files in this kind of notation program...

maestro
06-30-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks eliam. Does your friend have an e-mail address. I would like to contact him and exchange some thoughts before I buy another program.

eliam
06-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Funny as it can seem, no, he doesn\'t have an e-mail address yet... I\'ll ask him anyway, maybe he has step out of stone age...

But as I said, the issue has been discussed on this forum, and you might find relevant info through a search. I\'ll keep you informed anyway!

Be at peace.

thesoundsmith
07-01-2002, 10:37 AM
Finale is great if you\'re serious about scoring and notation. If all you want to do is basic note entry and simple artifacts (slurs, ties, staccatto, etc.) I would think it was major learning curve overkill (you said \"easy go\" in your initial post.) It does produce beautiful charts, though.

Dasher

maestro
07-01-2002, 05:28 PM
I actually downloaded the finale 2002 demo version
and found it easy enough to go. I played with it for several days and I think I will buy the 2003 version.

Bt the way, my Logic 5 version is for sale at e-bay. It\'s a hybrid version which works for PC and Mac. Since I have a PC platform and heard the bad news about emagic I decided to sell it. Currently it\'s at www.ebay.com (\"http://www.ebay.com\") for $ 1.-- starting price.

eliam
07-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Still interested in asking questions about finale to my friend?

maestro
07-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Yes eliam. Give me his phone number if he doesn\'t have an e-mail address. Thanks!

eliam
07-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Ok, you can reach him at ??. His name is Jean-Francois, tell him that Etienne (me!) gave you his mail.

PatS
07-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by maestro:
Which one is the best sequencer and notation program that works with GS under Windows XP?

I use Logic Platinum 5.1.2 so far but it takes me a lot of study to work with this program. I need
another program wich is more \"easy go\" and can mainly perform two jobs:

1)Fast but able to write elaborated musical scores
and being able to make nice score prints. Mouse entry and realtime keyboard entry.

2)Play back midi files through Gigastudio.

I will not use this program for sound recording.

Any help is appreciated.<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Check out GenieSoft\'s Overture 3 (http://www.geniesoft.biz (\"http://www.geniesoft.biz\")), which offers outstanding MIDI playback control, in addition to numerous features that help you produce simple to complex scores in short order. It\'s very easy and quite a pleasure to use. Moreover, the developer is readily accessible and will respond to your questions and suggestions usually within 24 hours. If you give the demo a try, don\'t hesitate to send questions to support@geniesoft.biz.

As regards MIDI playback, Overture\'s \"Graphic Window\" is nearly identical to the Piano Roll in Cakewalk\'s Sonar and Pro Audio (equivalent to the Matrix Editor in Logic). The \"Assign Instruments\" feature seems to be based on the same code as in Sonar and Pro Audio (Cakewalk used to own and distribute Overture, so this should come as no surprise). The articulation marks still don\'t automatically playback as written (you can tweak the playback values of a note or group of notes manually in the \"Modify Notes\" window or the \"Graphic Window\"). However, the developer recently told me that he\'s working on a user-customizable solution, which should be available in the first interim release (free, of course). BTW, Overture supports multiple MIDI ports, so you can use all four of GigaStudio\'s ports.

Pat

pshove@ghs.com (if you have more questions)

maestro
07-02-2002, 08:34 PM
eliam, PatS I really appreciate your input. Thank you. I\'ll give it a try.

eliam
07-04-2002, 09:48 PM
My pleasure.

Beckers
07-05-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by maestro:
First of all I used MUSICATOR for more than 5 years to write my scores. It was a handy and fast program but of course has it\'s limitations.

[/QB]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maestro,

What limitations did you find in Musicator for midi? I went back to it after trying Logic and Cubase. Am I missing out after all?

Martin Beckers

maestro
07-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Beckers,

the limitations of MUSICATOR were not related to MIDI. I used the old version 2.0 and it did not work well on my new XP machine. (P4 2.2.GHz) Then I went to their web site und downloaded the new
demo version 4.0. It did not work well with XP either and did very funny things and crashes. I contacted customer support and asked them, if they will have a XP version available soon but never got an answer.

It seems that the current program available does not well under XP. This was the main reason I skipped MUSICATOR.

I still think that MUSICATOR was superior in some respects regarding notation entry compared with OVERTURE3, FINALE, LOGIC and others.

I use FINALE now which works out fine.

Paul the music-man
07-06-2002, 11:26 PM
I have used Sonar XL and now I\'m working now with Cubase VST version 5.1.
The keycommand option is very useful. In this way you can assign your own keys to special tions.

The notation in a sequencer will never be the notation of a specialized notation program such as Finale or Sibelius.