PDA

View Full Version : Best game laptop?

Eric Doggett
03-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey guys -

I am looking to get a great laptop to use for games, and soundforge work, etc. (I don\'t want to use my music pcs for them).

I was looking at the top of the line alienware laptop, and it looks really good. I was curious if there was any other brand I should be looking at, around the 3k price ?

Thanks!

Eric

Ed Lima
03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey Eric.

If money is no object (and good for you if it isn\'t! images/icons/smile.gif ) the Alienware laptop is definitely the one to get. My boss bought a fully loaded one for his son recently, and he mentioned that it runs our upcoming graphics-behemoth FPS \"just great\".

FWIW, I have a an P2.4GHz Dell with 512MB of RAM and an onboard 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon video adapter, and it runs Quake3-powered FPS games beautifully in 32-bit texture mode at 1024x768. It chokes on C&C:Generals, though, so that\'s probably its upper limit.

Eric Doggett
03-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks Ed for your response.

The only thing that concerns me about it is that there\'s no wireless support built in, and no pccard option. Which means I guess I would have to do a linksys/etc 802.11g adapter. Maybe that\'s not too much of a big deal..

Eric