PDA

View Full Version : Movie score sheets revisited: where to buy?

MDesigner
04-04-2003, 05:59 PM
OK, I\'m sure you\'re all sick of hearing this from me. images/icons/smile.gif I just for the life of me cannot find a decent place to get sheet music for movie scores. I plan on doing some demos for some sample developers, but cannot do so because some of these pieces are just too complex to analyze by ear.

I don\'t want to reveal which pieces I\'m looking for publically, at this point, but I need some place where I can buy sheet music for movie scores.. anything from current stuff back to 1990, for example. It doesn\'t need to be an online store.. I\'m not that much of a technophile that I won\'t pick up the phone and place an order. images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks, guys.. and sorry for the pestering.

žeth
04-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Sam have you checked out Truespec web site? lots of Williams stuff.

truespec scores (\"http://www.truespec.com/store/books/johnwilliams/index.shtml\") I\'ll try to find my other fav site that carries them.

Seth

Russ
04-04-2003, 06:55 PM
From what I know, you can not *buy* sheet music scores for films. You may rent them, at a high cost, but I do not believe you can purchase them at all (however, there are a few exceptions). Granted, you can buy the arranged and re-worked versions that are sold to most symphony orchestras, but as to the original scores I do not believe it is possible to ouright buy them.

Luck\'s Music Library (http://www.lucksmusic.net/), last I checked, had a good and extensive selection of said items. Other than that I honestly don\'t know (J. W. Pepper -- don\'t know the site -- is a good alternation, but its main selection is wind ensembles and bands). Sorry images/icons/frown.gif

MDesigner
04-04-2003, 07:34 PM
That\'s ok, arranged versions are close enough, right?

And please, no Williams stuff. images/icons/smile.gif I\'m looking for other works to do demos of. Like Goldenthal.

Russ
04-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by MDesigner:
That\'s ok, arranged versions are close enough, right?<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ya, just some harmonic fleshing out and some doubling in some cases from what I understand.

Simon Ravn
04-05-2003, 05:26 PM
The Williams Study Scores seem to be very accurate, generally. Sometimes you find an instrument playing on the soundtrack which isnt on the score, like a few harp notes or smth, but it\'s not a big deal. But ok.. You\'re looking for anything but Williams - but Williams seems to be more or less what is available.