PDA

View Full Version : Don't blame it on GPO-my first orchestra piece

rJames
12-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Be kind. I usually ask for critique (on OSXAudio) but don\'t think I\'m ready for that yet.

This is my first piece with my new learning tool, GPO.

Kinda buggy with Kompact, but very usuable on my G5 Dual 2G. (Shouldn\' I be rendering something right now?)

I made it loud because its easier than soft.

I don\'t know how to use any of the tools, legato or bowing or anything. This is the library as a full-fledged beginner will use it.

This is my first movement (so to speak).

OrchestraTest (\"http://www.digitanimation.net/OneManAtWar.mp3\")

ninriggs
12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Rjames,

As a first attempt at using this fantastic tool i would say you did great.

If you play around with the tools im sure everything will just get better.

Im not sure how you start on a composition but if you try to treat the instruments as seperate, you will be able to mix them better.

Cant wait for GPO.

Nice start there images/icons/smile.gif

Bob Wolski
12-03-2003, 07:26 PM
Great job for a newbie composer.

I just love how percussion tends to lift the intensity level of a piece, particularly with your song. You did an admirable job with the timpanis; I liked the snare touch at the end and the crashing cymbals were well placed, maybe just a touch too loud for my taste, but then again, they\'re supposed to be loud.

Doesn\'t it feel great to be in charge of a whole orchestra and have each section do whatever you want! Composer and conductor at the same time!

All the best,
Bob

Hardy Heern
12-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Well done RJ. I thought that was pretty damn good. Maybe too much difference between ppp and fff (for my taste....but there again I don\'t know much! Isn\'t that getting towards the so called \'Hollywood\' sound?

Frank

Alan Lastufka
12-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Nice RJ,

Is this library not extremely cool?

I like what you\'ve done with it, not my genre, but hey, I liked it.

Can\'t wait to hear more from you in the future...

AL

sri_bubba
12-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Hardy Heern:
Well done RJ. I thought that was pretty damn good. Maybe too much difference between ppp and fff (for my taste....but there again I don\'t know much! Isn\'t that getting towards the so called \'Hollywood\' sound?

Frank <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, very good effort. Keep going man. I hear an understanding of the power that can be realized with changes in dynamics. Like Mardy, a smoother ppp-fff transition would probably be effective but your ear for it is certainly there.

Christmas is going to be good this year, I can tell...

sri_bubba
12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by rJames:
Be kind. I usually ask for critique (on OSXAudio) but don\'t think I\'m ready for that yet.
<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">rJames, dadgummit, if yer lookin\' fer kindness, this ain\'t any more kind than that there OSXAudio. \'Cause we c\'n be purty mean t\'each other \'roun\' here.

But if\'n yer lookin\' fer honesty, y\'come t\'the raght place. Sitcherself down and stay a spell.

rJames
12-07-2003, 09:59 PM
I finished it. But I know the more I listen, I\'ll have to go back and clean up stuff.

http://www.digitanimation.net/OneManAtWar.mp3 (\"http://www.digitanimation.net/OneManAtWar.mp3\")

yannitch
12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Nice improvements!

tabtech
12-08-2003, 11:22 PM
I like the textures you get. You are making good use of the available instruments for setting a mood.

Crackbaby
12-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi

It seems that you (re)moved that orchestral piece, but i found it on the music.html.
However, its not the orchestral track i would like to comment, but All for you.

I\'ve been studying music for a year and been making music for much much longer. Usually i dont like commenting other peoples music, i find it kind of stressfull. In this case though, i just started thinking of what could be improved and, guess what, i liked it images/icons/smile.gif (thank you)

My first impression was that you perhaps should doubble the gutiars. Not thru the whole track, but on those places where it is more noticable - the intro especially.
Secondly i think that the electric piano could do with some wah-wah-delay on some special places.
0.14, 0.39, 1.50 and 2.20 was the ones i found. Maybe more places and maybe not those i heard. I mean, if you use the wah-wah-delay on 0.14 it would perhaps feel like a overdoo at 0.39 ... images/icons/smile.gif

The vocals sounds great. But (!) at 2.08 .. it could do with another take. Im not sure, but i think the same goes for 02.29.

The last thing. Percussion - bongos and/or congas.
Some liveplayed congas would lift the track a lot i think, preferable live played.

I hope you dont disslike this critisism. its a nice track, but everything can be improved.
Its like this i think. We sit in the garden and look at the beautiful flowers, and then i tell you about the kitten playing with the bee that i see .. images/icons/smile.gif

Sincerely

Ps. A little cut on the high frequenzes on the drums reverb would be awesome.

rJames
12-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Crackbaby. Thanks, critiques are always welcome.
(sorry if this is a double post NSS just popped me away as I was responding)
I should have taken some of that stuff down. Its from early this year and I\'m improving thanks to people like yourself.
Give me a critique on a few new things if you will.
My attempt at acoustic jazz (\"http://www.digitanimation.net/AcousJazz.mp3\")

rock (vocals are now Melodyned) (\"http://www.digitanimation.net/ThisDay.mp3\")

pop jazz (\"http://www.digitanimation.net/InsideOut.mp3\")

Crackbaby
12-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Hey!
Sorry, i am a little tired - not tired enough images/icons/smile.gif
I haven\'t learnt how to be a 24/7 musician yet.. need to be in that creative myst
I listened to the tracks two times each. None of them are in the area where i think i have some experience, so it\'s a little hard for me to say anything. However, GREAT job on the acoustic bass! Did you play it on the real thing live?
I like how you used virtual guitarist on InsideOut. Hehe.. just kidding... images/icons/smile.gif I suppose you\'ve got a lot of instruments at home? The rhodes is real too, right? Lucky you.. lucky you mate images/icons/smile.gif

The genre that insideout and the rock .. i belive its very american (?), and i dont really know how it sounds. But the vocal might be a little bit too overdriven (tubes?). Perhaps some automation on the siblings, thus they sound a little bit too distorted in my ears. It\'s one of those things that at least I react to.

Tell me if you have more tracks, i like to listen to them

Sincerely

Ps. The song i first wrote about, who are you really singing to? images/icons/rolleyes.gif

rJames
12-11-2003, 09:05 PM
To my sister. A beautiful woman of 54 who is depressed and doesn\'t go out. (much)

Know any tall 54+ yr old guys in Orange County,CA?

rJames
12-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Actually, the bass is Trilogy. Recommended here and on OSXaudio.com. It has a release that gives finger noise and there are lots of extra sounds to add for realism.

All the guitars are me. I do have 6-7 guitars. Piano is sampled.