PDA

View Full Version : Problem with updates on a Mac

Ned Bouhalassa
04-14-2003, 10:00 AM
I\'ve just received the free updates - thank you! images/icons/grin.gif

I\'ll preface this by saying that I\'m using the EXS24 sampler on a Mac. That puts me in a disadvantage to start with, I know... But, I will also say that I have much success with GOS nonetheless.

Unfortunately, there is a BIG problem with some of the programs, particularly the 1st Violins (Hollywood). The names of some of the .wav files are too long. This results in terrible programming, at least on the EXS24. I also found a case in the Cellos, where the sampler was confused and reverted to an already used sample from a lower register, instead of placing the proper sample.

Is there any way to make the names of the samples less than 31 characters?

rino
04-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Hi Ned... I\'m so happy knowing that out there there is another \"crazy-apple\" images/icons/grin.gif using gigaGOS on a EXS24/Mac...
I had ,and I have, your same problem (search for my: \"Help... gigaGOS to EXS24\")...

To change the name of some \"very long named instr\" I use CDXtract 4.1 (\'cause I had problems using the ChickensSystems\' \"Translator\")... differently, from the EXS24\'s option \"giga convert\", you can translate the programs just one by one, if you want, with the \"batch program\" function...

Unfortunately, maybe, I can\'t help you more then this now... (due to a composition-task... I left behind my translation problems... until I\'ll finish to write the music... then I\'ll be back to \"fight\" with the \"incongruity\" of our gigaPC>>exs24/MAC convertion... ) but, please, \"share any doubt\" with me just the same... I hope we can help each other here... or... \"Have we to buy a PC just to run our gigaGOS?\" ...hope NOOOOOOOO! images/icons/smile.gif

Sorry for my \"italian\" english... a big Ciao from Rome,
Rino

rino
04-15-2003, 05:55 AM
OOOOoooops!!! Sorry Ned... I was so excited knowing that I\'m not alone... images/icons/frown.gif
You\'re talking about samples, not programs...
Anyway!... in CDXtract there is also a \"sample batch\" function... and, I think, it\'s that you need...

re-Ciao images/icons/rolleyes.gif

rino
04-15-2003, 05:56 AM
OOOOoooops!!! Sorry Ned... I was so excited knowing that I\'m not alone... images/icons/frown.gif
You\'re talking about samples, not programs...
Anyway!... in CDXtract there is also a \"sample batch\" function... and, I think, it\'s that you need...

re-Ciao images/icons/rolleyes.gif

KingIdiot
04-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Sorry guys,

I was building those updates on a PC, and workign specifically in Giga. I needed the long naming convention to make it easier for me to keep track of the variations of samples (referencing jsut made it more complicated and tedious, the last thing you need when working on tweaks of this magnitude). There should be translating software that can do the sample name conversions as well as instrument conversion, Awave will do the sample changes, but it will most likely destroy all the advanced programming in these instruments.

Maybe Garth has some ideas in the chickensys forum?

Ned Bouhalassa
04-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Hey there King, thanks for the reply!

I\'m a CDXtract user. I\'ll contact Bernard Chavonnet and see what he has to say.

Ned Bouhalassa
04-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Well, I just tried converting some of the problem files with CDXtract 4.1, and, unfortunately, it can\'t convert them, as the names are just too long. It\'s really too bad for us Mac users, but we\'ll have to miss out on some of the fabulous programming done by KI. images/icons/frown.gif

SOD213
04-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:
Well, I just tried converting some of the problem files with CDXtract 4.1, and, unfortunately, it can\'t convert them, as the names are just too long. It\'s really too bad for us Mac users, but we\'ll have to miss out on some of the fabulous programming done by KI. images/icons/frown.gif <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">http://www.tempel.org/joliet/ (\"http://www.tempel.org/joliet/\")

$15, lets you see long file names on a Mac.. believe this is what you need. images/icons/smile.gif

(Just got a Mac, it\'s a whole new world.. I still prefer PC\'s though. images/icons/wink.gif )

KingIdiot
04-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Ned, the stuff I did in the updates may not have trans;ated all that well anyway.

There\'s some extensive GS specific tweaks, that I had to do because of how GS works. (Eg mod, attack time corresponding with velocity, and sample offsets)

I\'d be interested in hearing how it does translate if the \"joliet\" app works out.

Still sorry about that. I\'m in my PC/gigastudio mindset most of the time.

Ned Bouhalassa
04-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks SOD, but sorry to say that Joliet does not fix this particular problem. images/icons/frown.gif

Garritan
04-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Is there any way to make the names of the samples less than 31 characters? <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ned,

We\'re working on this. Perhaps we can come up with a solution. We certainly don\'t want you to miss out on the fabulous programming done by KI.

Gary Garritan

Ned Bouhalassa
04-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks Gary! images/icons/smile.gif

I do realise that we (EXS24 Mac users) are not using the tool that this collection was optimised for. Nevertheless, even a non-WARM/EXP GOS is still a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y fabulous!

A fan...
images/icons/tongue.gif

christianb
04-21-2003, 09:18 PM
bonjour moossioor Ned. Yeah I have similar probs, but like you say, there is so much awesome stuff in GOS its quite easy to look the other way. I only got the lite version but I still have way too many options! I can\'t begin to ponder tenty cd\'s worth, let alone twenty DVD\'s. I would spend half a day just picking out patches. As it is, I might as well throw a dart at Gary\'s manual to choose what I\'m going to start a piece with. You couldn\'t go wrong. Although... you being a EXS maven, you might be in a position to help me out with getting the mod wheel to work for the exp and vib patches. I got nothin\'. It gives me the standard vibrato that works on any old patch I throw on, but doesn\'t do the cross-fading thing. This is something the EXS\'es velocity xfade function comes in handy for, but I don\'t for the life of me know how to get it working. In any case I am very much loving my new lib.

Thanks Gary images/icons/grin.gif

christianb

Mike Auty
04-22-2003, 01:33 AM
I\'m not Ned but I think I can help here... I posted this on the EXS yahoo list not long ago:

Velocity cross fading works fine once you fiddle with it a bit. Problem is the velocity ranges don\'t get imported correctly from .gig files so once you adjust this. Each of the four groups needs to be given a range... I think I originally checked the samples out in giga but not sure. Anyhow, for 1stViolinsV EXP for example, I used 0-31, 32-61, 62-94 and 95-127. Then just choose Control 1 as source in the mod matrix for sample select, slap a bit of crossfading, 50-60ish works okay, on it and you\'re good to go.

Originally posted by christianb:
bonjour moossioor Ned. Yeah I have similar probs, but like you say, there is so much awesome stuff in GOS its quite easy to look the other way. I only got the lite version but I still have way too many options! I can\'t begin to ponder tenty cd\'s worth, let alone twenty DVD\'s. I would spend half a day just picking out patches. As it is, I might as well throw a dart at Gary\'s manual to choose what I\'m going to start a piece with. You couldn\'t go wrong. Although... you being a EXS maven, you might be in a position to help me out with getting the mod wheel to work for the exp and vib patches. I got nothin\'. It gives me the standard vibrato that works on any old patch I throw on, but doesn\'t do the cross-fading thing. This is something the EXS\'es velocity xfade function comes in handy for, but I don\'t for the life of me know how to get it working. In any case I am very much loving my new lib.

Thanks Gary images/icons/grin.gif

christianb <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Ned Bouhalassa
04-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Good news!!!! I just got a beta version of a new version of CDXtract, and it converts the Hollywood Strings perfectly! Not only does the latest version handle long sample names, but it also converts the MWheel and EXP patches!!!

Only one very important thing to note: the patches that use the modwheel will not play a sample if the wheel is at 0 position (completely down/closed), so you must move the modwheel to hear the program. This is particularly problematic with Logic, as it resets the modwheel to 0 everytime you hit the Play button. The best way to subvert this is to place a modwheel midi command that is of a higher value than 0 at bar 1, and have your song start at bar 2, for eg.

Onwards, virtual composers!

And thank you Bernard Chavonnet, for responding so quickly.

rino
04-23-2003, 05:13 AM
Ned, thanks!
Very very Greeeeeeaaaaaat \"CDXtract good news\"!!!

...and a quick answer to Gary & Co.:
How, if we can-but I don\'t think so-but just in case, can we use the \".ART\" files? We... I mean... Mac/EXS24mkII gigaGOS users...

Thanks for replay...

Marsdy
04-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Only one very important thing to note: the patches that use the modwheel will not play a sample if the wheel is at 0 position (completely down/closed), so you must move the modwheel to hear the program. This is particularly problematic with Logic, as it resets the modwheel to 0 everytime you hit the Play button. The best way to subvert this is to place a modwheel midi command that is of a higher value than 0 at bar 1, and have your song start at bar 2, for eg.

Onwards, virtual composers!

And thank you Bernard Chavonnet, for responding so quickly. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ned

Are you sure??? I just did a Hammond in the EXS today and it works fine with the mod wheel at 0. Two Groups were set up in the editor, one slow Leslie samples and the othe fast Leslie. On one group I set the velocity to 0 to 63 and the other group 64 to 127. I routed cc 1 to sample select in the modulation matrix and set the crossfade to about 45 I think. It works fine images/icons/shocked.gif

KingIdiot
04-23-2003, 02:19 PM
there are some threshold and attenuation settings in the patches, so this could cause some issues like the mod wheel thing if not translated correctly

Marsdy
04-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by KingIdiot:
there are some threshold and attenuation settings in the patches, so this could cause some issues like the mod wheel thing if not translated correctly <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks King. I thought Ned was talking about velocity crossfades via mod wheel in general in the EXS

BTW I saw on the EXS Yahoo group that the new version of Translator Garritan Edition out tomorrow, (and free) will cope with the long file names in Hollywood Strings. You can stop feeling guilty now images/icons/wink.gif
(Not that you should have been of course!!!)

chickensys
04-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Regarding the Garritan Hollywood update:

The current version of Translator (and going back a couple months) converts the names correctly, except the dimensions and crossfades aren\'t there.

More specifically, the Translator Garritan Edition (the convertor that comes free with the Garritan library) will be updated to recognize these files, and Translator (this includes the demo version) will have a function where you can massage the .gig file separately and shorten the names. This will also be intelligent; for example:

If you have a Instrument called Full Strings EXP KS (C0-C#0) (28 chars), and you have others that start with Full Strings that are over, you can says \'make \"Full Strings\" \"FS\"\' and this will shorten it the way you want. Or you can do it all manually as well. Lastly, another option is to vie to not write the extensions, giving 4 extra chars to work with.

This function can also be helpful with Sample Names with the root keys named at the end of the sample; that way they aren\'t truncated.

Again this is will be on the free Demo and the Garritan Edition, so any EXS user can access this and not have to purchase a separate convertor; they can use the EXS one. They should be out by Friday afternoon at last check.

Besides that, great job King!