PDA

View Full Version : 1st Vln Upper Register Short Bows

Andy Brick
09-27-2002, 10:47 PM
I read through the comments about the VlnSusVEXPLEG and was wondering if anyone has had any problem with the timbral quality of the violin short bows above E5? (two octaves and a major 3rd above middle C)

I know GOS is short on its range but still, this is not really that high for the violins. Every single short bow I try sounds terribly pinched up there. Ive got a passage of light and spirited eigth & 16th notes marked staccato at a tempo of around 90 quarters. I am trying to get a light, off the bow sound that is smooth and transparent in its tone. Miroslav staccato is very nice up there as is some of the Kirk Hunter stuff but I want to keep this piece to just GOS.

Any ideas?? Help!!!

Thanks
-andy

www.andybrick.com (\"http://www.andybrick.com\")

dwdonehoo
09-28-2002, 02:20 AM
\"16th notes marked staccato at a tempo of around 90\"
16th at 90...I don\'t suppose marcato would do it for you? Just wondering...

Andy Brick
09-28-2002, 05:43 AM
Hi Doyle,

The description reads poorly. At a tempo of 90 the rhythm is (beats 1&2) 4 eigths staccato b4,c5,d5 & e5, --- (beat 3) eigth staccato & two 16ths slurred to ----- (beat 4) quarter note f5,g4, a4, Bb4..... etc...

I tried every single short bow and they all sound very pinched to me. Normally, I would just hop over to Miroslav and use the staccato patch or try something from Kirk Hunter but I want to do this piece all GOS.

-andy