PDA

View Full Version : Viola Grand Sustains

Mark UK
08-11-2002, 01:26 PM
I just love the new Grand Sustains that were sent with the newest update.

I do have one question though.... is it me or are the Viola Grand Sustains flat in pitch?

Has anyone else found this or do I need to see a doctor about my hearing? If they are flat, has anyone created an art file to help correct the tuning?

Many thanks for your help and support.

Mark

KingIdiot
08-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Yah I noticed that fairly recently, I\'m hoping that it can be fixed with an art file.

It should be, it doesn\'t sound like they are going in and out of pitch, jsut generally flat a little

Mark UK
08-11-2002, 03:05 PM
King

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Glad to see that my hearing is still OK!

An art file correction would be great. I will eagerly await news on this.

Mark

Tom Hopkins
08-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Mark,

In defense of the intimitable King, the loss of tuning values was an unexpected consequence of the editing process and went undetected by all of us until I was working a couple of weeks ago on integrating the updates into the main files for a future replication run. I had examined and lived with these files (and even added a few features to them) prior to the update release and I still missed the inadvertent loss of tuning values. Aaarrgghh. Anyway, the fix is an easy one (if a little tedious) and will be made available using articulation files. This same thing happened in the aggressive short bow files. These will all be addressed at the same time – which is to say: very soon.

Tom

Mark UK
08-12-2002, 07:18 AM
Tom

Thanks for the reply and the great service, as usual.

I am certainly looking forward to these updates when they are completed. Will they be in the next general update or will they be available from Gary\'s web site?

Mark

Malo
08-12-2002, 08:18 AM
is it me or are the Viola Grand Sustains flat in pitch? <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ah, finally! I never dared to criticize the odd tuning of the Grand Sustains, because I just love the fact that they even exist.

I just to say thank you to KingIdiot for maging those patches. I love them!!!

One question, though: Are the 1st and 2nd violins tuned like they should be?

I have been retuning the grand sustains in GigaStudio ever since I got the latest updates.

Malo
08-12-2002, 08:20 AM
is it me or are the Viola Grand Sustains flat in pitch? <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ah, finally! I never dared to criticize the odd tuning of the Grand Sustains, because I just love the fact that they even exist.

I just to say thank you to KingIdiot for maging those patches. I love them!!!

One question, though: Are the 1st and 2nd violins tuned like they should be?

I have been retuning the grand sustains in GigaStudio ever since I got the latest updates.

Tom Hopkins
08-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Mark,

This one won\'t wait \'til the next big update - it will be posted on the GOS web site (probably later this week).

Malo,

All of the Grand Sustains (1st and 2nds included) and Aggressive short bows had their tuning information left on the cutting room floor (fortunately, I\'ve got a key to King\'s basement laboratory and can gather up those scraps before the cleaning lady gets there. Then it\'s just a matter of separating them out from the Doritos crumbs).

Tom

Mark UK
08-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Tom/King - once again a BIG thank you.

Malo - yes, I know what you mean - I thought I was sticking my neck out a bit! Luckily, I didn\'t end up with egg on my face! images/icons/grin.gif

KingIdiot
08-12-2002, 02:06 PM
Its definitely been something that I ahd recently noticed and Tom and I spoke abou tit with the short bows.

Thanks to Tom for catching what actually happened tho images/icons/smile.gif

And thanks to giga edit for making it a tedious job images/icons/smile.gif

Tom Hopkins
08-12-2002, 05:07 PM
KingIdiot wrote:

\". . . and I spoke abou tit with the short bows.\"

That\'s the X-rated version of GOS.

Tom

Rob Elliott
08-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Tom,

You say the update may be tedious. When the correction is made available can you give us newbies a tutorial with it. Thanks.

Tom Hopkins
08-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Here are the articulation files to fix the tuning values in the Grand Sustains and Aggressive Short Bows.

www.gigastrings.com/support/Grand_Sus_Agg_SB_tuning_fix.exe (\"http://www.gigastrings.com/support/Grand_Sus_Agg_SB_tuning_fix.exe\")

It\'s a self-extracting zip file. Simply double click on the file to unzip the 6 articulation files.

Tom Hopkins
08-14-2002, 05:52 PM
Rob,

I just re-read your post and it sounds to me like you maybe thought my remark about \"tedious\" referred to the user update procedure once the articulation files were prepared. I was actually referring to the tedious process of programming that I would need to do to add the tuning values. Anyway, the update procedure for users is easy. Just apply the articulation files to the corresponding .gig files as always (no tutorial necessary since the procedure is described in the update documentation.)

Tom

P.S. Let me know if I\'ve misunderstood your post.

Rob Elliott
08-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. So I just update the viola mis-tuning via this new articulation file. I have the tutorial from the last major update. That will do the trick, right?

Thanks.

Tom Hopkins
08-15-2002, 01:36 PM
Rob,

That\'ll do it. Of course, if you encounter any problems, contact us directly and we\'ll help you through it.

Tom

Rob Elliott
08-15-2002, 06:06 PM
The aftermarket support on GOS is simply astonding. Thanks so much!

Rob

Rob Elliott
08-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Tom,

The updated.art files worked like a charm. Thanks.

King,

These Grand sustains are simply gorgeous. Thanks for the \'tweeking\'.

Mark UK
08-16-2002, 04:10 PM
Tom - sorry for the delayed reply - have been away for a couple of days.

Many thanks for the quick action on this. It\'s so refreshing to see things fixed with such little fuss.

THANK YOU!