PDA

View Full Version : GOS Meet the Artist: KING IDIOT: Questions from forum members invited

Garritan
07-29-2002, 11:39 PM
http://www.gigastrings.com/images/kingidiot.jpg We are pleased to announce our fifth guest in the series of GOS \"Meet the Artist\" Interviews with KING IDIOT!

It is an honor to have one of Northern\'s Sound\'s own as our featured guest. KingIdiot has emerged from this group as a cybersampling legend. He is one of the foremost consultants for gigalibraries and he is an incredible help to sample developers. When this lean mean sample-editing machine is not performing miracles with samples, he composes for popular video games.
He is currently consulting and helping with the upcoming gigantic Vienna Orchestra project.
KingIdiot has been one of the most helpful, giving and prolific members on NorthernSounds forums and nobody has embodied the ideals of the forum more than he.

We are now inviting questions for KingIdiot from forum members. If you have any questions you would like to ask about the interactive music industry, tweaking samples, the Vienna project, his sampling approach, projects he is working on, or anything else you would like to know; now is your opportunity to ask him. At the end of the questioning peroid, your questions will be presented to KingIdiot and we will then post his response in interview form.

Please post your questions here or email them to me at gary@garritan.com.

Once we gather your questions,they will be presented to the King. We will then post his response in interview form here.

Thank you for your participation,

Let the questions begin!

Maestro Gary

Kobb
07-30-2002, 07:16 AM
First of all, King, I\'d like to say a big \"Thank you\" for getting me to consider gigastudio in the first place and also for your willingness to help out newbies.

Most any question I might ask has probably already been answered by you in some past thread, but I just missed it. Please forgive anything that might seem redundant.

1. Could you give us a quick background on your involvement with video game music and how it evolved into a regular gig for you?

2. Do you currently run one gigastudio PC or do you have multiple machines running?

3. As a fellow VS user (for now), I\'m curious to find out how you go about tracking and sequencing your music - specifically what sequencing program you use, if it\'s on a PC separate from giga, and if your VS usit is still your main audio recorder. Could you walk us through a quick example of your workflow from song idea to final recording?

4. As a tweakmeister, what features would you like to see offered in future versions of gigastudio? And related to that, what is your vision of sampling in the future - how good could it get and what might be some of the interface features that would make a live performance more viable and expressive. What is that Vienna Orchestra group doing that is creating such a buzz? Is their approach really that revolutionary?

5. Do you do much of your own sampling, or to you prefer to stick to the programming side of things? Any suggestions for those of us who are just beginning to explore those areas of gigastudio?

Thanks again, King. Your attitude, generosity, and humor really help set the standard around this place.

Kobb
07-30-2002, 07:18 AM
Also...

Thank you, Gary, for setting up these interviews. It\'s a great format for getting to know more about the featured artists.

Mikael
07-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Whats your real name?

Serge
07-30-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi King,

I would like you to talk a little about how you blend together all the notes of the various instruments in your music. Do you quantize notes and/or how do you proceed ?

SergeD

Haydn
07-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi King,

1. Was wondering if you\'ve been taking typing or spelling lessons? I find you\'re post are getting too easy to read - or maybe I\'ve just gotten used to your style!

2. Do you plan on putting out a CD of your own material?

BTW, love the looped detache samples!

midphase
07-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Hail to the King,

Lettsee....without getting yourself into too much trouble, what are the main issues with current libraries that prompt you to \"adjust\" commercial libraries? Do you find that developers are overall improving their programming skills or have they been fairly static (some of your recent comments towards SI have seemed to indicate a return to simpler programming).

Last but not least, what are the biggest shortcomings of Gigastudio as you see them?

Thanks a bunch and keep up the great work!

timzydee
07-30-2002, 11:58 PM
I\'m interested in answers to all of the previous questions as well, especially the one about getting into the business of scoring for video games.

RickD
07-31-2002, 08:02 AM
Howdy,
Thanks for your generosity with the developers, that helps us alot! I would like to know a few things;

1) do you have any audio engineering experience with live orchestra\'s,

2) Do you think that keyboard controllers are outdated, and could use additional controlling mechanisms for tomorrows advanced samplers?

3) If you had the resources and knowledge(maybe you do! images/icons/smile.gif , How would you build the ultimate sampler and controller, I mean one that can play a myriad of articulations and also able to handle dynamics and vibrato on the fly?

Thanks for your time,
Rick

Francis Belardino
07-31-2002, 02:33 PM
No questions at this time but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the great and all powerful, King... Your help over the past year or so has been invaluable.

All the best to you, King!

--------------------
Francis Belardino
fbelardino@score4post.com

Composer/Sound Designer
www.score4post.com (\"http://www.score4post.com\")

esperlad
08-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Can you tell us more about the Vienna Project? I am most interested in the strings. What are they making that is different from what we have seen recently?

Have they recorded any divsi for the sections?

Will there be a U.S. distribution for purchasing?

thanks

zquarles
08-01-2002, 05:08 PM
King-
First off, thanks for listening to my stupid questions since I joined NS! images/icons/smile.gif

Second, in what direction do you think sampling will take over the next few years? What is the \"next big thing\"? What are some of the biggest hurdles that must be jumped in order to attain the next big thing?

Thirdly, do you like monkeys? I do.

Beckers
08-04-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey king,

I greatly appreciate your posts, both the technical advise and the constant injection of common sense.

Qus:
1. Why do most sampled instruments sound so bad (and different!) out of the box, particularly violins. Even GOS needs some processing before it can be used naked without hiding behind other instruments. I can\'t believe the violins sounded like that in the recording sessions. I\'m talking mainly about timbre.

2. Which library you know do you think most accurately represents their sound at the recording session?

3. What is the most accurate and realistic way of sizing down the room ambience on strings, (apart from shortening release time).

4. DD violin samples are too short. I need 50-100% extra length. If I am goin to invest time is it better + easier to copy + paste-sample edit or to learn how to loop?

5. Your real name: - is it the one on the recent update cedits or is it really King, in which case are you related to Elvis at all?

Cheers,
Martin Beckers

PolarBear
08-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Hi KingIdiot!

I hope I\'m not too late with this images/icons/wink.gif

1. I really enjoy reading your posts. Just curious that you can pay that much time on them! Thanks alot!

2. How many new projects do you know of and bite your toungue on it? images/icons/grin.gif

3. Why do you use KingIdiot as synonym?

Thanks for answering, but please be more detailed on the other questions posted above...

Hansi

KingIdiot
08-15-2002, 02:08 AM
Just to let everyone know,

I\'ve got the questions and will be answering them this weekend if all goes well. I\'ve got a nasty deadline for Friday. I\'ve got to compose music for 11 in game movies, and only jsut started on them today, having to finish all the other stuff that needed to be done. Wheee!

ProfessorOak
08-16-2002, 04:23 PM
hey! wait for me!

BTW thanks for answering my endless questions and emails awhile back. its greatly appreciated.

1. I\'d like to know how your VS is implemented in your setup. Also, kinda related, do you or have you used R-bus and what do you think about it.

2. Have you got more game audio projects lined up? Would you rather be doing sample library work more than game audio?

3. What do you think it will take for the american public to appreciate game music as much as the japanese do? Could you see yourself regularly listening to game audio like one would the radio?

4. Did you used to be a play tester? I think I remember seeing your name in a list somewhere.

Thanks again,
Dale North