PDA

View Full Version : Episode 2 Soundtrack...

A_Sapp
05-16-2002, 01:48 AM
Okay, I saw starwars thursday at 12 AM with all the fanatics, having a blast sitting out there an hour and a half before it started, with the lines lengthy already. I was expecting an awesome score like they all got, but guess what fellas!!?? John Williams used, for just about THE WHOLE !@#$ MOVIE, two/thirds of cues stripped away from episode one, EXACTLY the way it was played, in episode one. Ugh.... I know he has minority report and whatnot, but, HOLY CRAP??? The movie got a 7.5/10 in my opinion, Episode 1 a 9.5. Man, school\'s gonna not be so good today.

Thomas_J
05-16-2002, 03:15 AM
Aaron, this has nothing to do with what Williams did for the movie. It is common knowledge already (among score fans) that George Lucas ruined Williams\' music by editing it in a grotesque way. Williams did write over 2 hours worth of NEW material. What you hear in the music is obviously not much of it. Perhaps Williams has grown too mature for George Lucas\' childish mind.
If you care at all how Williams got treated by Lucas, please read this:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2002/13_May---Star_Wars_Episode_2_Attack_of_the_Kaplans.asp (\"http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2002/13_May---Star_Wars_Episode_2_Attack_of_the_Kaplans.asp\")

It\'s a crying shame. One can only hope that a 2 cd ultimate complete score is released sometime in the near future.

Still track 3 seems to be intact in the film;
Zam the Assassin (the chase), and that truely is an AWESOME composition. Check out those inhuman trumpet parts Aaron images/icons/wink.gif (to TIME 3-4 trumpets to those rhytmical figures...)

Thomas

Pingu
05-16-2002, 05:26 AM
I haven\'t seen the film yet, but it must be said that William\'s music has always been treated this way in the Star Wars saga. It wouldn\'t be so bad if it was played quietly, and left at a consistent level, or even faded subtly over a longer period. But what usually happens is that the music is played really loudly until it clashes with some dialogue, or one of those ever so important laser sounds that we haven\'t already heard 20000000 times, then it is simply cut down to almost inaudibility in a split second, to be cut back in in similar fashion a few moments later.

On the other hand John Williams can write very invasive music. I\'m a massive fan, and when a scene has little dialogue then I don\'t see why the music shouldn\'t become prominent - in fact I loved some of the most intrusive parts of the Harry Potter score. But the rhythm of a Star Wars film is usually different. There are very few cues in which the music can be prominent all the way through, and yet John continues to write music which demands to be prominent. Like Princess Leia\'s theme from Jedi; one of the most lush, gorgeous pieces of Romantic harmony I\'ve ever heard - easily in the league of Mahler. The one thing it definitely isn\'t is background music. It demands attention. And it is developed as a piece of musical argument, rather than following the details of the cue. So at some point it is going to have to be turned down.

By the sounds of it, though, the butchering in Episode II is going to be worse. I\'m not sure I can stand to watch.

Pingu

Damon
05-16-2002, 10:46 AM
The score still has some fanrtastic cues IMHO. As TJ said, track 3 (Zam the Assassin) is awesome. The xylophones and percussion breaks with those amazing \"inhuman\" (lol TJ!) trumpet parts is very cool.
Track 2 \"Across the Stars\" is quite a beautiful love theme as well. You wanna hear some beautiful legato \'Hollywood\' strings...well, this is definitely the track and that solo oboe in the beginning, very sweet.
Those are the 2 main standout tracks for me, but as always Williams scores have stuff to be studied.

Rooftop
05-16-2002, 12:01 PM
In the end, you gotta remember that Williams is writing music for Lucas, and not Lucas making a movie for JW\'s music.

If the movie as a whole works better if George needs to change up a scene after the score has been written, it\'s much better to go ahead and edit than leave the footage as-is for the sake of keeping the original score.

Jamieh
05-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Well, Lucas pretty much completely butchered Williams score in this movie. I liked the movie a lot, but I personally think that the soundtrack (as edited into the finished product) is one of the weakest parts of the movie. The music is disjointed and often inappropriate, and there is one scene in particular (the asteriod field) that desparately needed music, yet had none.

I wonder if someday Lucas will figure out that the music was probably better the way Williams originally wrote it? That is what happened with Empire. In the original release, Lucas chopped the heck out of it, but then he restored most of it in the Special Edition. In an interview I read with him, he said he couldn\'t remember why he had chopped the music up in the first place.

Jamieh
05-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by A_Sapp:
The movie got a 7.5/10 in my opinion, Episode 1 a 9.5.<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A_Sapp, are you actually saying you thought that The Phantom Menace was a BETTER movie that Attack of the Clones? Or are you referring to the music? If you are referring to the movies themselves, I have to seriously question your judgement, as there is pretty much a 100% unanimous opinion out there that Attack of the Clones is a far better movie than The Phantom Menace.

BeeAlpha
05-16-2002, 08:46 PM
I agree with you. Jamieh images/icons/smile.gif

A_Sapp
05-16-2002, 09:46 PM
No, I gave it a 7.5 for the MOVIE, not soundtrack. I\'m not sure if it was because I was tired, (freakin 12 AM premiere) or because of the fanatics around. Several things that turned me off: Physics in some of the scenes when the actors are computer animated riding on these ugly animals was extremely unrealistic and cartoonish. If you\'re going to do a scene like that, make it feel natural and smooth. The scene of the factory smashing bit was a little too video gamey to me, and the city seemed like it was stripped from A.I or Bladerunner. There was a little more humor than I cared for, and Hayden sucked at acting. All his lines sound very unnatural and rehearsed. The characters just don\'t have spark in the movie, and the reason I preferred ep. 1 over 2 is because the acting was a little better, yoda was actually a puppet in some scenes, (nice nostalgic nuance) music was entirely original and fitting, and it served as an excellent prologue to the rest of the series. AOTC didn\'t quite have that star wars feel to it that I expected, and hopefully, JW will have his music unchopped... expect that to be highly unlikely.

Scott Speed
05-17-2002, 03:20 AM
Heck...Battleground Earth was a far better movie than the Phantom Menace, and most folks need an anti-depressant just to get through that cause it\'s so bad...

Regards,
Scott

Originally posted by Jamieh:
Attack of the Clones is a far better movie than The Phantom Menace.[/QB]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

BeeAlpha
05-17-2002, 12:40 PM
I\'d give 8.8/10 for AOTC. The great thing is Lucas confesses many casualities between SW trilogy and Episode I, bring me to feel the continuous space of SW (assume you have seen the trilogy already).
TPM was a new episode when I saw it years before, so I wouldn\'t get a concrete relations of the episode 4-6 ( casualities is not obviously, I give TPM 7.1/10). And, I was amazed that the CG effects/animation use intensively in AOTC.(serious than TPM IMHO) This is almost the \"toughest mission\" for the vast amount production in CG. The tough for those CG effects guys is like rearranging all JW scores into your giga to make them sound like the \"real\" one.
(I\'M SORRY that I have a bit off topic.) images/icons/smile.gif

Jamieh
05-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Interesting A_Sapp. You may very well be the only person in the entire world who thinks Phantom Menace was better. images/icons/smile.gif

Personally I thought Phantom Menace was an absolutely terrible movie. I thought AOTC was better in pretty much every conceivable way, execpt for the edited soundtrack.

A_Sapp
05-17-2002, 02:07 PM
The movie just came out yesterday, damn.

Rooftop
05-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Straying away from the music a bit more, I just saw AotC for a second time.

Upon first viewing, I could see why there might still be some people that are unhappy with parts of it (though I liked it quite a bit). The second time around... I freaking love it! Love it love it love it. Do yourself a favor and see it twice. Anyway, back to music. images/icons/smile.gif

dwdonehoo
05-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Actually I am somewhat fond of Phantom. If you have a good remote and skip the annoying Jar Jar parts, its not bad at all. IMHO, Ray Parks MADE that movie for me with his performance. There were also several scenes and moments that approached art the way they were composed.
Not to brag (OK, I will anyway heh heh), but I was one of the first 100 or so the see the first Star Wars (and I went back to see it 24 more times) and I have been a fan from that time. I look forward to seeing the new movie, probably monday during the day. I wonder if I will like it more than Spiderman, which I liked.

ChrisAxia
05-18-2002, 06:59 AM
I just wanted to know if others felt the same as me about the \'new\' Star Wars movies. I haven\'t seen AOTC yet but I\'ve seen trailers.

Ever since they started using CGI to replace characters, spaceships, backdrops etc. It looks like a video game to me. There is something tangeable when they film a model of a spaceship. It looks real, because it is real and that bloody \'Jar Jar\' completely ruined PM for me!!

There is a good analogy here with sampled orchestras. We\'re getting close, but we can all tell when we see a low budget movie with a simulated orchestra, can\'t we? And it definitely weakens the whole experience. Same for CGI. It\'s still not good enough to be convincing, although it does vary quite a bit even in recent films. In fact, I saw Bicentennial Man last week, and the visual effects are excellent!(Nice score by Horner too, although he \'ripped himself off\' again with a theme that mixed Braveheart and Legends of the Fall!)

From what I\'ve seen of the trailers, AOTC is gonna be visually disappointing again, like watching another video game. I hope I\'m wrong!

Chris

A_Sapp
05-18-2002, 07:37 AM
It had one of the most kick-@$$ battle scenes I\'ve seen. You\'ll like it. But again, I mentioned in a post above, is that the physics is all wrong in some parts, very unnatural.

Rooftop
05-18-2002, 10:54 AM
I\'d say there were very, very few parts where the CGI bothered me in this one (I do... or try, rather images/icons/smile.gif ... a lot of CGI work, so it\'s even a little easier for me to be picky about these things).

Jar Jar didn\'t look that great this time around, and when they were riding creatures, it looked terribly fake. But other than that it looked fantastic. I was very impressed with the war.

Like any fantasy/sci-fi movie, you just gotta suspend disbelief. IMO, CGI makes it easier to do so than puppetry with limited movement.

clonewar
05-18-2002, 06:26 PM
I\'m a pretty big Star Wars fan (cant you tell by my handle? images/icons/smile.gif ) and I LOVE AOTC!! I was disappointed with TPM, I dont hate the movie like a lot of people I know, but there are a lot of things I dont like about it. Yeah, Jar Jar is really annoying..but my biggest problem with the movie was that it lacked the \'magic\' that the original movies had. The whole thing with the midiclorians and analyzing Anakin\'s blood to see how strong he is with the force was too scientific. Star Wars was more of a fantasy movie then a sci-fi movie (or at least 50/50). When Vader flies up behind Luke in the Death Star trench he just senses Lukes strength in the force...\"The force runs strong in this one\". Anyway, to me AOTC gets back to the magic of the original movies...I think the scene with Yoda and the \'Youngwings\' is one of the most magical ever in a Star Wars movie.

I do agree with the complaints about the score though. I had the soundtrack cd before I saw the movie and love listening to it, I was very excited about the movie after listening to the soundtrack. The editing and cues seem very disjointed. The scene when Anakin and Padme kiss for the first time and the love theme starts playing then she pulls away and the music abruptly stops is very hammie (cheesy? whatever you call it..). Like its been said, the problems with the score are certainly not John Williams\' fault, I love the themes he wrote for this movie, especially the love theme (Across the Stars), I\'ve been humming that melody constantly since I started listening to it.

As far as the CG in the movie goes, I think its awesome! The ground battle on Geinosis (sp?) is incredible, and very realistic looking. And CG Yoda is amazing, especailly compared to the very muppet looking Yoda in TPM.

Overall I think the movie is going to please most Star Wars fans. If you haven\'t seen it yet, go see it!!

jubal
05-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Hmmmm....8/10...7/10...are you kidding me? Star Wars fans will like this movie because it is all we have for a movie...but it could have been sooo much more.

I like what I\'ve heard so far from the soundtrack...especially the love theme...it\'s the romance in the movie that stinks...and WAY to much of it. The romance in AotC = Jarjar in TPM.

Padme: I like water...I like sand.
Anakin: I don\'t like the sand. It\'s coarse and rough and irritating--not like you. You\'re soft and smooth.
Padme: I\'ve been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
Anakin: I am haunted by the kiss you should not have given to me.

Stop!! Please!! It got to the point whenever I heard the love theme I would get a grin on my face waiting for the next cheesy line.

Good Things: Kenobi, Mace (I love him and Yoda chillin\' on the cushions), Yoda, R2D2 and C3PO, CG sequences, Daddy Fett.
Bad Things: Romance (Anakin/Padme), Jarjar (not how much he says, but what he says), Baby Fett (c\'mon Dad...shoot them!).

This may be a 8/10 if the PM is a 7/10, but if you compare it to \'The Empire Strikes Back\' it is about a 5/10.

Mark UK
05-19-2002, 04:00 AM
I went to see AOTC last night here in London.

I am not sure how audiences around the world are reacting but the atmosphere was great. Lots of excitement and cheers as the movie started.

I am not quite sure though that George Lucas would have loved when half the audience burst into laughter when:

1) Master Yoda gets out his light saber (ooer!) and proceeds to have his fight Dooku. Dooku would have had to be great to strike Yoda seeing as he barely stood as tall as Dooku\'s knee.

2) Another really funny shot was where Senator Amidala falls off the transport carrier following the \"gladiator\" scene. She falls a hundred feet or more onto the sand below. A member of the Clone army then comes over to see if she is OK. Kind of like a 5 year old in a school playground she picks herself up, no... even jumps up as if she is late for work and still in bed, without the slightest hint that she would surely be somewhat hurt after her fall. This unrealism made almost EVERYONE in the audience roar with laughter.

I have to agree with the critics that the acting is VERY wooden - the new Annakin is particularly bad.

HOWEVER, even with this, I thought the movie was excellent. The special effects are simply stunning and the level of action quite exceptional.

I would thoroughly recommend anyone to go watch this - just be forewarned not to expect any of the cast to be up for Oscar performances next year!

It is also true that the music has been mixed to play such an insignificant part of the movie. In so many scenes, there are so many special effect noises that it is very difficult to hear the music. I think John Williams might as well have used GOS and DD Woodwinds and Brass instead of the LSO and pocketed the difference himself. images/icons/smile.gif

A_Sapp
05-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Well, I just watched it again today with my dad, and THIS time the big UA theater besides my el-cheapo local cinema. I must say, I liked it very much the second time, it definetely was excellent, and yes, it does surpass ep. 1 on many levels. I still have the complaints on acting and physics, but overall, it was rich. One thing that Po\'ed me was the rear speakers in the theater kept distorting, NOT GOOD. I\'m a big audiophile and that\'s extremely distracting. I noticed that this time the mix of music was extremely unbalanced and inappropriate at many areas, and again, many cues stripped off ep.1 EXACTLY. I\'ll change it from a 7.5 to a 9. Great stuff. It must\'ve been the 12 AM premiere, along with an idiot and talkative audience, and facing the fact that I was making the crowd laugh in the whole theater by yelling real loud, \"STAR WARRSSSSS,\" just for fun. So I was in a humorous mood at the time, laughing at just about everything. Good stuff.

Rooftop
05-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Just curious, which acting did you not like? The only one I found \"wooden\" was Natalie Portman. I thought relative newcomer Hayden Christensen did one HELLUVA job, though.

A_Sapp
05-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Hayden to me sucked in some parts, particularly a few of the love scenes. \"The sand is rough and irratating, I like you because your soft.\" ???? Maybe George needs a little help. But when Hayden gets pissed, yes, he does a helleva job.

SOD213
05-19-2002, 11:20 PM
I haven\'t seen the movie yet, but I did pick up the soundtrack yesterday, and gave it a listen today. There\'s plenty of new stuff, and there\'s *old* stuff peeking out, there\'s hints of the Empire\'s theme at times. They touched upon Duel Of The Fates at one point (I was upgrading a computer at the time of listening to it, so I wasn\'t critiquing it, just geeking out in a major way), and there were plenty of other \"battle\" scenes I could hear. Still nothing like the final battle score from RotJ (where the rebel fleet comes out of hyperspace and reports in), but well worth the $14. (The annoying thing is that I have to take the CD back, there\'s a scratch at the end which wipes the last minute off the final track. GRR.) I was listening to it, and could hear things that we could do with Giga, and some things we can\'t (yet). I\'m still waiting for a brass library that gives the power of a Williams\' score, but everything else, I can hear.

One thing about the score, I\'m only giving it a 9, because there\'s some electric guitar parts in there that REALLY shouldn\'t be in there. Not only do they not fit, they sound bad.

One Track Music
05-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Don\'t knock Natalie Portman. She\'s a babe.

Pingu
05-20-2002, 04:12 AM
Seen the film now, and I agree! The music was utterly butchered. The ironic thing is that it was turned down so you can hear the dialogue. If I\'d written that dialogue I would have whacked the music up on full, to avoid having to reveal how crap a script-writer I was. I know Lucas has a fantastic imagination, but he clearly never talks to anyone. I mean what on earth was that tripe before the showdown with Dooku? \"Clearly my Jedi powers are much bigger than yours. You must give in...\" or something to that effect. It sounded for all the world like that parody of a kung-fu dialogue from Wayne\'s World 2. And the love scenes...well see them for yourself and see if you can avoid laughing out loud. It\'s a disgrace that the music was hacked so badly to save such poor dialogue. I hope there\'s an isolated sound-track option on the DVD.

Mark UK
05-20-2002, 08:24 AM
Yes, I particularly meant that Hayden Christensen was wooden.

I am not sure if I was seeing things but did anyone notice the following:

Senator Amidala is in the cast (big metal pot) into which molten metal is poured.. if you look at the sequence and count the number of pots until she is boiled alive, I counted that she should have be a bubbling mess one pot earlier. Maybe I was wrong, I am not sure.

The other thing I questions is Master Yoda\'s agility. If the force was so strong with him, why does he move around like a decrepid on man all the time but suddenly turns into Jackie Chan (didn\'t you just LOVE the Karate moves?!) when he fights Dooku... the audience laughed so much.

Rooftop
05-20-2002, 10:22 AM
Because he\'s not an abuser of the Force. That\'s what separates him from the Sith. images/icons/smile.gif

Robert Kral
05-20-2002, 11:09 PM
I liked the fact Yoda didn\'t use all that agility until he NEEDED to. Scenes like Yoda\'s are one of the few where we as the audience could really react WITH the movie, like the old original star wars days which were FUN FUN FUN. It also made for a really great surprize and a kind of \"pick me up\" later into the film. (Although yes it\'s a rollercoaster from the start, but here the audience REALLY reacted!)

I came out of AOTC saying \"that was GREAT!!\". It was certainly MUCH more enjoyable than TPM. Part way though it I thought to myself \"Lucas is still the KING of sci-fi\". But then when I thought later on it it sure had it\'s problems...

Rooftop: wooden acting? Well it\'s all over the place. Check out the original Star Wars (Ep IV) and compare. Star Wars was FUN and although the spectacle of AOTC is fantastic, the acting is all wooden, but slightly more enjoyable than TPM where everyone appeared to be so gloomy about the fact they were in a Star Wars movie!

Part of the thrill of the original movies was the humor, the one-liners and the feeling that the charecters were :caught up\" into the story with the audience. Sure we\'re dealing with Jedi masters now so it\'s more serious. But I\'d guess that it\'s the direction they are given, and a lack of great or even good dialog in the script. I just saw a documentary on TV last night, led by Ewan McGregor and you\'d NEVER know he had so much life and personality and humor by watching Star Wars Ep 1 or 2. Which is a pity. So I\'d say it\'s not the acting ability (Ewan, Christopher Lee, S. Jackson and Jack Thomson are SUPERB actors) but the directing, and a lack of good dialog material for them to work with.

dwdonehoo
05-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Well, today, MONDAY, 11:45 in the MORNING, on a rainy day, I saw the new Star Wars...in a packed house! All digital all the time. Outstanding movie! I am so glad to be living in a time when such vision can be realized. There is more going on in that movie than all the other SW movies combined. The realism is not absolute, but close enough! Wow. I need to go back and see it again. Maybe when I get back from the E3 convention in LA this week. This movie NEEDS the big screen...

SOD213
05-22-2002, 07:41 PM
Saw it last night, enjoyed it. Yes, the asteroid scene DEFINITELY lacked music. They did a superb asteroid run track in Empire, why not in Clones?

I did enjoy it, my first complaint (as a Star Wars fan) was with some of the storyline. There are a lot of people who work with Lucasfilm to assure that the SW novels are written in a fashion to tell a linear story, where all the books\' happenings have consequences in future stories. Thanks George, for not even reading the books, and coming up with your own plotlines that will probably have to be covered up in the books. Young Boba Fett indeed. images/icons/tongue.gif I did enjoy seeing Jar-Jar seal the Republic\'s fate though.

My second complaint.. yes, the score of the movie, just wasn\'t memorable. I can listen to the soundtrack, and try to imagine parts in the movie, and even with the names of the tracks on the CD, I still can\'t picture some of the scenes. (Maybe because I\'ve only seen it once.) I\'ve been listening to all of the soundtracks for the last few days (let\'s hear it for WinAMP), and I can follow the other movies scene by scene in my mind just with the soundtrack. (Currently I\'m at the scene where Luke and Leia have to swing across the pit in Star Wars. (Yes, I don\'t refer to it as A New Hope.) )

Pingu
05-23-2002, 01:26 AM
Yes, but George Lucas isn\'t known for his consistency, even just within the films. I mean look at Jabba the Hutt in Episode 1. Huge bloater! Then in Episode 4 he\'s suddenly a human sized worm, then huge again in Return of the Jedi. Whatever diet product he\'s on I want shares in it.

Pingu

Jamieh
05-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but that is because in EP4, Jabba was filmed as just a fat human guy. They had to figure out how to plaster the Jabba worm over the fat guy.

Anyway, I\'ve seen some humans bloat up to triple their original size in no time at all, so I don\'t imagine it would be too hard for Jabba to do the same. images/icons/smile.gif

I saw the movie again today, and the disjoint music didn\'t bother me as much, perhaps because I expected it and ignored it.

A_Sapp
05-23-2002, 10:17 PM
I just got the soundtrack today, and listened to track 3. I don\'t like the electric guitars he used. It kinda ruined it for me, but hey, that\'s me. I just don\'t think modern orchestration should meld with traditional orchestration in the Star Wars saga. But hey, that\'s me.

varmintt
05-23-2002, 11:30 PM
does anyone know by chance which track on the soundtrack has the cue where the Lars family and anakin are saying some words over shmi\'s (anakin\'s mom)grave? Or maybe this one was borrowed from TPM? Please help me ive listened to the whole freaking E2 CD and i cant find it...maybe i need to listen again. images/icons/confused.gif

This cue makes the scene IMHO (i almost cried inspite of the acting) images/icons/smile.gif

Rooftop
05-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Well, I certainly don\'t agree on the acting (Hayden was GREAT! Great great great! images/icons/smile.gif ... well, not when he and Padme were packing before they left on their trip... those lines should have been re-recorded), but you\'ll probably have to wait for the expanded release. I think there\'s around 40 minutes of music that wasn\'t on the first CD. Off the top of my head and completely from memory, I don\'t recall that one being on any other previous track.

Though it\'s late, I\'m sleepy, and could be very wrong. images/icons/smile.gif

varmintt
05-24-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Rooftop:
[QB]Well, I certainly don\'t agree on the acting (Hayden was GREAT! Great great great! images/icons/smile.gif ... QB]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">well he was better than that annoying little boy in E1 anyhow... images/icons/smile.gif

thanks for the info.

Mark UK
05-24-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Rooftop:
Well, I certainly don\'t agree on the acting (Hayden was GREAT!....

... Though it\'s late, I\'m sleepy, and could be very wrong. images/icons/smile.gif <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">erm.... the early morning alarm bell is ringing roofie....time to get up!

Simon Ravn
05-24-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Jamieh:
Yeah, but that is because in EP4, Jabba was filmed as just a fat human guy. They had to figure out how to plaster the Jabba worm over the fat guy.
<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe Lucas could just have left Jabba out, like he did in the original release, instead of insisting on putting a small worm-Jabba in, 20 years later?? images/icons/smile.gif

Thomas_J
05-24-2002, 04:38 AM
Ok I just saw the movie yesterday with some friends and I must say I\'m pretty impressed altogether.

There was one scene in particular that actually sent a rush through my body and made me utter \"Damn that guy is too good.\" and that\'s the scene where Anakin\'s mom dies and the rage and hatred flows through his body. The way John Williams scored this short scene is probably the most impressive stuff I\'ve ever heard in a movie. Those raging celli and basses.. Simply out of this world.

Oh and did anyone notice that the whole score was shifted in balance? I got timpani on the right, along with horns and celli! Basses were on the LEFT! Weird.

Thomas

Simon Ravn
05-24-2002, 05:46 AM
Well celli and timpanis on the right seems - eh right! But horns on right and basses on LEFT... who knows. Maybe someone screwed up left/right at some point:)

Rooftop
05-24-2002, 10:14 AM
I think the whole Jabba transformation between Ep1 and Ep6 is supposed to show how his enormous success and fortune from illegal trade and such turned him into a huge glutton.

A_Sapp
05-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Yea Thomas, I was bragging about that to my dad, I told him: \"Listen to the music when Annie gets pissed.\" You KNOW that he starts to get a little edged just because of the music. I\'m sure LSO must have a good time with his music, except for the trumpets. (INSANE!)

TJ
05-24-2002, 12:51 PM
I\'ve just seen the film and that it was astounding. I remember seeing the first one back when I was five and this one helped me relive that experience. The score was fantastic, particularly the neo-rennaissance version of the love theme.

What the hell was Anakin doing in his sleep though?!. I\'m sorry, but a padawadn jedi shouldn\'t be making noises like that about his mum. Freud would have a field day.

Jamieh
05-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Thomas, I agree, that was probably the most musically powerful part of the movie. Without the music, it wouldn\'t have seemed half as creepy or evil as it did. Good stuff.

midphase
05-27-2002, 10:07 PM
I just saw the movie today for the first time on a Digital screen and I thought it was really good. The music was allright, I don\'t know if Williams will ever match his glory years when it comes to this types of movies.

I also want to say (at the risk of getting flamed like mad) that more and more scores nowadays are starting to sound like they\'re made up of the same building blocks. Just like a construction kit of orchestral phrases. The fast marcatos for chase/fight scenes, the slow chords for romantic/emotional stuff, the sliding strings and random plucks for scary moments. Maybe it\'s just me, but they are all starting to sound essentially the same to me (save for some exceptions). There is a lot of craft being put into these works, but where is the freshness and originality?

Don\'t mean to put a negative spin on any of this, but listen to the score for ET, or even Close Encounters and compare! Perhaps Williams\' best effort in recent times was for AI, but as far as the new Star Wars movies, aside from Duel of the Fates and the new Anakin/Padme love theme, it all sounds like recycled stuff to me! images/icons/frown.gif

A_Sapp
05-27-2002, 10:46 PM
That\'s contemporary for ya.

John Matrix
05-28-2002, 10:09 AM
I agree TJ, but I guess it\'s part of Darth \"Annie\" Vader\'s transformation. Maybe the first lesson in Original Screenplay School is called \"Give the bad guy an Oedipus complex\" - At least it worked for A. Hitchcock

Dis
06-19-2002, 09:23 AM
ThomasJ: Is the music you are talking about also on CD soundtrack? Which track is it?

dwdonehoo
06-19-2002, 09:45 AM
\"Just like a construction kit of orchestral phrases. The fast marcatos for chase/fight scenes, the slow chords for romantic/emotional stuff, the sliding strings and random plucks for scary moments...\"

Hey, not so fast! I\'m trying to write this stuff down...

images/icons/wink.gif

Thomas_J
06-19-2002, 10:41 AM
Yes, Dis. It\'s called \"tusken camp\". Can\'t remember the track name. You\'ll find it.

Thomas